Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • To the huge group of riders at Haldon last night:
  • mr_sceptical
    Free Member

<rant> Next time you all feel the urge to all stand in the gateway by the road, completely blocking it for anyone wishing to pass whilst shining your ridiculously bright helmet light into the eyes of anyone trying to approach you up the trail (and subsequently fight their way through), please consider being more courteous to other trail users. </rant>

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Your best bet is just to have a word with them at the time, theres a chance they might not read this.

tim41
    Free Member

OK we'll all wait in the road next time 🙄
    Is this really worth whinging about?
    I don't think anyone was being deliberately discourteous. It's just what happens with big re-groups, everyone talking etc.
    A polite 'excuse me' would probably have worked.

Jamie
    Free Member

Your best bet is just to have a word with them at the time, theres a chance they might not read this.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Net warrior alert!

Ranting on here is no good. Butch up and open your mouth at the time. I bet the rest of your ride was spoiled by muttering to yourself how rude some folks are.

grumblegrumblehelmetlightsmoangroaninmywaychuntermumbledon'tliketalkingtopeopleprefertotypeawhinge

rOcKeTdOg

is it because they had some friends?

tim41
    Free Member

well put scottchegg!

wheelz
    Free Member

Is this really worth whinging about?

It would irritate me a bit as well if I'm honest, because it's just inconsiderate and no different to the red socks walking six abreast along a track and refusing to allow you a space to get past.

If you need to regroup with a large group then surely it's better to do it somewhere where you're not blocking an access point?

Mind you, I'd have probably said something at the time, although I would understand if someone kept quiet because of the size of the group.

tracknicko
    Free Member

get. over. it.

riding's meant to be fun.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

it a mountain bikers equivalant to people who leave their shopping trollys sticking out so nobody can get past, just shout EXCUSE ME if they don't shift ram them!

tim41
    Free Member

Natural regroup locations are always at the start/end of trails/paths (we're talking about a tarmac cycle path here). That usually means an 'access point'.

A group of 15 individuals who know each other are always going to cause a bit of a rabble when regrouping. Human nature. Waiting silently in single file isn't going to happen.

No one was intentionally rude. Mildly inconsiderate of others, yes maybe.

Any harm done? No.
    Avoidable situation? Not really in the real world.

Big deal. Get over it.

Del

OP,
    2/10. no use of random capitalisation and decent spelling. points only awarded for lack of punctuation.
    this was at the junction with the road and the old adventure trail? i imagine you got up a real head of steam on the 15 yard flat bit between the motorcycle gate and the road 🙄

Nick

Can't really fathom why people want to go out in huge (more than 10) groups really, makes the whole thing really slow with loads of hanging around getting cold.

It's all well and good calling the OP an Internet Warrior, but it's pretty intimidating having to say to 40 people, please can you move/not shine your lights in my face etc

And another thing, while we're on the subkect, riding on the road, at night, in a half mile long strung out group is insane, I seen several near misses when a driver has gone to overtake, found that the line of riders extends far into the distance and there is now an on-coming car, and no where to go. Split up into smaller groups and have some **** consideration.

zaskar
    Free Member

I can understand the OP with ppl hogging in groups but a quick Hi, excuse me please etc and I've never found a group that hasn't moved over or hasn't said hi back.

The gp was probably having fun and didn't realise they were hogging-very common/selfish whatever but just say S'cuse folks and bikers then do the bike shuffle and nearly fall over etc.

or:

I find this works even if I get pi55 taken out of me by my fellow riders lol

sslowpace
    Free Member

Tim41, you come across as a bit of a nob.

'Big deal. Get over it'?? Great way to get on with a fellow MTB'r. Why not invite him along to a future ride instead???

yunki
    Free Member

I'm not easily intimidated.. but a large group… especially one containing obnoxious people.. may well serve to put a dampener on my spirits if I was forced to confront them over an issue..

Kamikirk
    Free Member

Love the way HUGE group is actually only 15 friends riding together. A simple "excuse me" would have worked and in my experience be met with a "sorry mate".

Instead its a thread that now has 15 people transforming into 40 and taking up half a mile of road on a 15 yard section of road between 2 entry/exit points at a trail centre.

Let alone the use of "ridiculously bright helmet light"s for night riding… i mean its not like you want to see when its a dark uneven trail you are riding.

I agree get over it. Oh and i was not there just gathering info from what has already been posted and laughing at some peoples changing of facts to suit their preconceptions.

Burchy1
    Free Member

I apologise, i may have put a bit of weight on lately and think i was probably the cause of the obstruction… :mrgreen:

Pook

We've got 30 down to ride on Saturday so far – please feel free to say excuse me to us if we get in the way (you'll probably be overtaking us anyway!)

ScottChegg
    Free Member

yunki – why would you need to 'confront' anyone. IT's dark. Say 'Hi. Move over, fast lad coming through' and there may be smiles and a bit of banter.

It doesn't have to come to banging heads over such a little thing, on anyones part.

Del

LOL at Burchy!

well observed Kamikirk.

big group intimidating? what, are you twelve?

no-one was rude, on the thread OR on the trail. and, as it goes, the OP was asked if he was riding with us ( which he would have been very welcome to do ), or if he just wanted to get by, at the time. as they went through i'm pretty sure they got a 'sorry mate, have a good one', but if not, please accept our apololgies.

this is a well established ride that has been running for something like 10 years. the week before there were three of us. sometimes there are up to 30 odd ( very rarely indeed ). it's a ride, social occasion, and justification for a few mid-week beers – different things to different people. i've been going along for 3 years or so. without exception everyone has been friendly and welcoming. some excellent riders, some crap ones. all welcomed. all waited for.

many of the 'off-piste' sections up there have been put in by members of this ride, and are maintained by them too.

why don't you come along next time? might not be your thing – that's fine, but you might enjoy it, and you might see some trails you never knew existed too. in the spirit of smoothing the waters i'll even buy you a pint after, how's that?

ley arms @ 6.30, or top of the cycle path, next to the a38 flyover at 7. every wednesday.

zaskar
    Free Member

Maybe he had a bad day.

votchy
    Free Member

Tim41, you come across as a bit of a nob.

I'll second that 😀

yunki
    Free Member

sorry..

I think you have misunderstood me… I merely suggested that the situation may be a little more intimidating than a usual casual excuse me… based entirely on the obnoxiousness of some of the replies to this thread..

el_creedo
    Free Member

and now I remember why I've never really liked trail centres…

fortunately, Dartmoor's nearby which is proper mountain biking 😆

For some people it's about the social, for others it's about getting away from it all. I'm the latter – which is why Haldon is very rarely my choice, these days anyway.

tim41
    Free Member

LOL. Afternoon Votchy!

As regards the thread, nothing further to add. I'll go back to being a nob 😆

rOcKeTdOg

did you run into them?

large haldon collider?

it's cold, shall i wear two coats?

nickegg
    Free Member

IME i've never come across huge groups at trail centres.

Seen far more people riding together out on 'natural' trails!

dazpaul
    Free Member

Del, if its an open invitation, some of us Cornish folk may pop up 4 it in the future. After our last ride @ Haldon we were thinking it would make a class night ride ! Doing some "off-piste" would be a bonus !

takisawa2

Get a brighter light. 🙂

Or ride with a large mirror arrangement on the front of your bike.
    They'll think a bigger group is coming & move.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

On the other hand you could of waited for them to go off down the trail then got your own back by shouting coming through or skidding behind them, Or say alright lads to mind if I tag along.

Why were you intimidated anyway, were they wearing hoodies?

hilldodger
    Free Member

If I ever have to share trail time with someone who uses the phrase "Natural regroup location" I'll know it's time to give up 😉

Del

Paul,
    it's a very open invitation and you'd be very welcome as is anyone else who fancies it.
    in particular we're very aware of our disadvantaged cousins across the border and look forward to giving you a 'hi-6' when you come up 🙂 ( that was a joke, if it offends you, or anyone else, i'm very sorry, and i'll go and sit on the naughty step )
    it's not a club, you ride at your own risk, and if you choose to follow the person in front it's up to you. if you break a leg don't come running to me, etc.
    post up here when you're coming and we'll know to look out for you.

tim41
    Free Member

If I ever have to share trail time with someone who uses the phrase "Natural regroup location" I'll know it's time to give up

Sorry for the offensive language! Don't know what I was thinking 😉

dazpaul
    Free Member

Del, LOL ! Thanks will do !Only a few of us lucky ones have 6 fingers ! I can brake + change gear at the same time !

bigyinn
    Free Member

And where is the OP to reply / apologise now hmmm?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Still muttering.

mumblemumbleBASTARDSgrumblemumblebeingpleasantCOOKINGFUNTSmumblefumblestumble

DezB
    Free Member

Tim41, you come across as a bit of a nob
    +
    Great way to get on with a fellow MTB'r

Hmmm.

enfht
    Free Member

if you break a leg don't come running to me

😆

bassspine
    Free Member

Zaskar: your bell pic has brightened my day. What a nice…. smile she has

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘To the huge group of riders at Haldon last night:’ is closed to new replies.