Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • To the guy in the full downhill clobber…. (Edinburgh)
  • Thomohawk
    Free Member

…. that regularly passes my office window on South Gyle Broadway… 6inches of travel and full downhill get-up, bar the full facer.

Never seems to be a pattern as to when I see you. Reckon you maybe work at RBS?

Where are you off to geared up like that chief? Tell me that's not how you commute? 😯

Lovin your style! 😐

BigDummy
    Free Member

[Buys new hat]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Theres a guy at swinley who minces down the (barely) DH runs on a stumpy HT in a full 661 suit!

Skid-Mark
    Free Member

yep, that's me commuting every day. It's a jungle out there bruv, besides, have you seen the knarliness of those street curbs! They must be 3" at least. I need all the bounce I can get when I drop off them puppies

jimmy

what bikes he on? know a cople of DH doods at RBS

davidrussell
    Free Member

sick!

(you would be in 20 degree heat with a pressure suit on)

Dylan08
    Free Member

He most probably thinks the same when he sees you in youre lycra / office penguin suit getup!

Thomohawk
    Free Member

He most probably thinks the same when he sees you in youre lycra / office penguin suit getup!

Hahaha….

View from my desk:

Edit: Jimmy, not sure mate… will try get a closer look next time.

Xan
    Free Member

Reckon you maybe work at RBS?

Not RBS. thats where I work and I see him passing by our office towards the Ritz. I see him some days myself and have often wondered the same. I know the traffic in Edinburgh is mental but does look a bit OTT. If there are some hidden trails wouldn't mind them being pointed out as I am just about to start commuting there myself.

Thomohawk
    Free Member

I knew someone else must have spotted him!

No trails round this way that require that attire…. AFAIK.

DT78
    Free Member

Some of the estates I commute through require body armour…

soobalias
    Free Member

when you say full downhill getup are you talking about pyjamas or armour?

highclimber
    Free Member

its like the guys you see riding Vespas in full leathers!!! WTF you have a hairdryer for an engine you can barely do the speed limit!!

Xan
    Free Member

Some of the estates I commute through require body armour…

Well the Gyle is near some pretty rough areas. Maybye its to protect him from low flying bricks or Cider bottles?

when you say full downhill getup are you talking about pyjamas or armour?

6" travel Kona (I think thats what it is anyway), knee and elbow pads, Met Parachute(I think??)More protection than I have wore on any trail I have ever riden.

Didnt think there were any trails in the area. I think I did see him one day on the canal path when I was passing on the train.

Thomohawk
    Free Member

6" travel Kona (I think thats what it is anyway), knee and elbow pads, Met Parachute(I think??)More protection than I have wore on any trail I have ever riden.

That's definitely the same chap… Red/White/Blue long sleever.

Hahaha… that's some style like.

Xan
    Free Member

Haha. I'm going to stop and ask him next time I see him now. Either that or I'll try and race him on my full rigid lol.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Perhaps he is unaware that he should be asking the bike police what to wear before going out for a razz. Bet he feels really silly now that you've pointed out his bad style on the internet.

jimmy

Conform, loser!

Thomohawk
    Free Member

Perhaps he is unaware that he should be asking the bike police what to wear before going out for a razz. Bet he feels really silly now that you've pointed out his bad style on the internet.

Nout to feel silly about…. he looks the t!t$..!

Xan, if you catch him just tell him he's got his own thread on here. 😉

bawbag
    Free Member

There's a guy at Gogarburn on a Kona HT who I see leaving with leg armour on, don't know if he wears it on his way in. Always meant to ask where he was heading to.

Any Gyle dwellers fancy heading to the Pentlands one night next week?

thomthumb
    Free Member

see a guy in southampton training on a road bike with a full face!! very strange

DT78
    Free Member

see a guy in southampton training on a road bike with a full face!! very strange

Black cheap looking one? older bloke normally in jeans / check shirt on a factory special?

If so I see him occassionally round shirley way. Indeed odd.

Kit
    Free Member

There's a dude who used to cycle past my work on St. John's Road who was decidely overweight, wearing a full face helmet and high-vis puffa jacket, even in the summer – guy must have been absolutely roasting! Mark/TBC can confirm the sighting as he's seen him too.

And I passed a guy on a downhill bike on the north edinburgh cycle path. No body armour or anything – just out for a pottle by the looks of it 🙂

Northwind

I've seen that guy as well… I guess the tramworks have messed up the cycle path surface a bit!

meehaja
    Free Member

used to see an od guy round our way in skate lid and MX style goggles, way before all the 4X guys were doing it. Also Leeds' only cycle courier (afaik) wears a full face, which always seems odd to me.

Jamie
    Free Member

That is a huuuuge Morrisons!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

On his way to Costorphine hill? or heading up to the DH tracks at Bonally? The Gyle to Bonally must only be something like 4 miles.

Saw a guy fitting a similar description (Kona, armour etc) coming away from Arthur's seat.

Get some photos of him and we'll do him a website in his honour! 😀

zigzag69
    Free Member

only the bit to the left is Morrisons (and most of the store is actually out of shot), the rest is shopping centre. Having said that, it is still pretty big, but not huuuuuge like.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

There was a guy doing the Sustrans C2C last weekend that we kept passing. He and 3 mates were doing it for Prostrate Cancer and was wearing a full face helmet, very quickly got christened the Stig.

Edric64
    Free Member

its like the guys you see riding Vespas in full leathers!!! WTF you have a hairdryer for an engine you can barely do the speed limit!!

Daft comment regarding bike safety imo

Xan
    Free Member

Any Gyle dwellers fancy heading to the Pentlands one night next week?

yeah I'm up for that. How does Wednesday sound?

coastkid
    Free Member

i often pass roadies here in east lothian on nice carbon bikes,full lycra team gear etc averaging 14 mph! (so its not the ERC boys or mussi club riders!) on my 35 lbs surly pugsley!..guess there all a bit overdressed too 😮
    DH gear on edinburgh roads?, maybe has that outdoor phobia thing and needs to feel protected 😮 any pics?

kevin1911

I too have seen this guy around Edinburgh park. Always presumed he either came from corstorphine or cycles along the A8 at peak times, in which case full dh gear would be entirely appropriate. I could be up for a wee wetlands ride next week – depends how fit and fast you guys are. I'm not in great shape…

Stu_N

It's all bikes, innit, so it's all good. I sometimes use the MTB between Lothian Road and Riccarton and have a wee scoot up the Almond or on Costorphine Hill, nowt wrong with that (though don't get full faced to the max or anything).

Anyone seen the bloke who commutes on the big wheel unicycle? Seen him a few times on Slateford Road/ Longstone Road area but not much recently. Now that really does seem impractical to me but each to their own!

fingerbike
    Free Member

Theres a guy at swinley who minces down the (barely) DH runs on a stumpy HT in a full 661 suit!

If it's the same guy you're talking about that i've spoken to at the jump gulley before, hes had quite a few crashes there and doesn't feel comfortable riding without it, seemed nervous but loved riding, fair play to him…

stanfree
    Free Member

Live and let live folks.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Ennit. Poor sods might be reading this.

AlasdairMc

bawbag,

this week I'll be at Bonaly for 6. Pace last time was sub-gentlemanly so you may find it a bit slow going, it depends who joins us.

Al

Kevevs
    Free Member

lol! there's a couple of them round here. Full on downhill kit to do a bit of shopping!

Thomohawk
    Free Member

DH gear on edinburgh roads?, maybe has that outdoor phobia thing and needs to feel protected any pics?

Will keep the cameraphone at the ready next week!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘To the guy in the full downhill clobber…. (Edinburgh)’ is closed to new replies.