Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • To the cyclist on the path at the Pine Woods, Harrogate
  • Supertackysteve
    Free Member

You're def in the right here MF. I'm of the opinion that when i'm on my bike i give way to cars and trucks and horses etc because they can hurt me, and i give way to people kids prams dogs etc because i can hurt them. I even give way to other cyclists – i'm just a nice kind of guy really lol.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

the only thing they have in common is evidencing your predisposition to get your knickers in a twist over something apparently trivial and then witter on about it on the internet

and cynically use his children to induce sympathy from those who just understand.

theflatboy
    Free Member

what would have happened if you hadn't moved? was he going too fast to stop.

also, if you move out of the way for someone what do you expect them to do other than utilise the space you've kindly provided and ride past? stop for a debate?

brakes
    Free Member

I hate prams, they should be taxed, insured and MOT'd and made to use the roads
    or make the babies walk, baby giraffes can do it

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

what would have happened if you hadn't moved? was he going too fast to stop.

He skidded at the last minute when he realised I wasn't going to move (wasn't really able to – our double buggy is like a tanker) then swerved onto the verge as he shouted at me.

baby giraffes can do it

Yeah, so can wildebeest – something like 10 seconds after birth. But then again, they have lions to contend with.

brakes
    Free Member

Lions in maternity wards then?
    maybe in private wards
    NHS might use feral cats or all those surplus Staffies in Battersea Dogs Home

bigyinn
    Free Member

I have a child and i consider ANYONE who trots out the "you don't have kids, you wouldn't understand" line incredibly patronising indeed.
    Oh and FWIW i think MF is right to be annoyed, the fact that he was pushing a pram is largely irrelevant, the cyclist has no right just to force his way past, regardless of their supposed ROW.

jam-bo

probably been said already, but why don't people actually say something at the time rather venting from behind a keyboard?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

probably been said already, but why don't people actually say something at the time rather venting from behind a keyboard?

I tried to call him back but he carried on riding as he shouted 'it's a shared use path'. I would happily have discussed it with him at the time.

Edric64
    Free Member

The op is correct about this incident stop giving him a hard time

molgrips
    Free Member

It's very difficult NOT to give MF a hard time tho.. not quite sure why tbh 🙂

our double buggy is like a tanker

Don't you have the very same giant pushme-pullyou thing that I saw in a shop and laughed at, wondering whoever would by such a gargantuan monstrosity? 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

at it's not against the law to ride on footpaths?

But it is illegal to cycle on footpaths on all the legal sites I have looked at .Even pushing on one is a grey area

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It's very difficult NOT to give MF a hard time tho.. not quite sure why tbh

I quite enjoy it – especially when dealing with certain forum members who make claims which they patently cannot back up and subsequently go quiet 😉

wondering whoever would by such a gargantuan monstrosity?

One with twins? 😉 (Everyone at the twins club we go to is impressed by it and it's flexibility from birth to 3 years old. Everyone with single babies thinks it is mentalist huge). Which it is.

molgrips
    Free Member

Size, practicality and manoevrability not issues then?

You could get a Chariot bike trailer.. a dream with 2 kids in 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Size, practicality and manoevrability not issues then?

Put it this way, it isn't exactly the easiest thing to use, but we wanted a travel system buggy and there are only two or three out there. We already have our eyes on a much smaller and easier to use unit for trips to the shops etc when they are a little bit older.

I am currently trying to sell the benefits of a multi-purpose offroad pushchair (walking/riding one with a bike adapter + it's own full wheel set) to my wife so we can do some riding / long walks this summer 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Chariot is the bees knees mate, although expensive. Narrower than most double pushchairs, real working suspension, all sorts of supports for babies of all ages, and handles beautifully. Not cheap, mind 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not cheap, mind

What is when it comes to babies? 😕

akira

Double buggies are pretty unweildy.
    I do get suprised sometimes by the people walking three abreast on the pavement who appear to expect me to push babies into oncoming traffic rather than give me a tiny bit of room.
    MF seems to have a reasonable point here, if on a bike I always go very slow when faced with kids/dogs/etc, it's good manners and common sense.

molgrips
    Free Member

What is when it comes to babies?

Close baby sling – £50
    Quinny Zap – £130
    Bugaboo Chameleon – £700

Take your pick.

(And yes I know you have twins (as does everyone) that wasn't specifically aimed at you; I have little knowledge of twin strollers 🙂 )

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

(as does everyone

Sorry – repeating ourselves continually is a family trait. You should sit in a pub with me and my brother – by the end of the night it is like Groundhog Day.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

baby giraffes can do it

Yeah, so can wildebeest – something like 10 seconds after birth. But then again, they have lions to contend with.
    Thats because they have tiny brains and therfore can be born later in their development.

mastiles_fanylion – Member

I tried to call him back but he carried on riding as he shouted 'it's a shared use path'. I would happily have discussed it with him at the time. It might not be against the law but even on a bridleway a bike has to give way to horse/walker and the horse to the walker.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sorry – repeating ourselves continually is a family trait

Lol 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

To the cyclist riding an Orange hardtail along the same path this Sunday…

Hello – see, it is dead easy to get past when both parties consider the other.

🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘To the cyclist on the path at the Pine Woods, Harrogate’ is closed to new replies.