Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • To the chap riding along the Eastbound A303 around Popham earlier tonight…..
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Firstly, let’s start with the positives, shall we?

Well done you for getting out on your bike, especially in this weather. No fair weather fairy, are you? No, not you! Out there, covering the ground, getting the miles in, whatever Mother Nature throws at you.

Secondly, exercise. Superb stuff is exercise. Good for the heart and the soul, good for the nation in that you aren’t a burden on the NHS. You’re keeping yourself healthy, and that has to be a Good Thing.

However, now we move on to the negatives. Sorry about this, but we have to.

Black. Such a slimming colour, isn’t it? Goes with everything. Except for really bad driving conditions on a dual carriageway. Makes you rather hard to see, you see?

Lights. OK, so the CTC may have campaigned against mandatory lights on bikes, but I disagree. Lights would really have helped me to see you as I drove along. Really helped, especially given your taste for Le Noir in your fashion choices.

However, we come to a big negative last of all. Rather a large one, if I’m honest. You see, the thing about the A303 is that it’s a rather fast dual carriageway, with each side going in one direction, and if you hadn’t noticed, there was rather a lot of traffic out there in the rain and low light. Now, on to specifics – The Eastbound A303 traffic is all flowing towards the East. You know, sort of from Andover towards the M3 and London, that sort of thing. Eastbound. Not Westbound. Not towards the West. Seems you hadn’t got that memo…. 😯

Liftman

He was riding the wrong way down a dual carriageway in the dark with dark clothes and no lights ?

monksie
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    falkirk-mark

At least he would see what was going to hit him.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mikertroid
    Free Member

I love people like him. They make me look only moderately incompetent.

Interestingly I was eastbound on the 303 earlier in the rain on the awful single carriageway section between Winterbourne and long barrow (the new awful one) roundabout when a white Tiguan thought he’d do the same. A few cm from a head-on and I think he’d have come off worse too.

That stretch of road will see some fatalities before long now they’ve screwed it up way beyond its original bad state.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Two people have been killed on the 303 in the last couple of months, one cyclist and 1 lady crossing it. I really can’t see why people chance it!

dobo
    Free Member

OK im sure there is a reasonably explanation for this. ill have a go.

He was driving eastbound from a bike race when he runs out of fuel! so pulls over but doesnt quite make the hard shoulder. he then realises he doesnt have a warning triangle so uses his hi viz jacket! then unloads his bike and cycles westbound down the a303 to buy some fuel at popham services.
    it could happen to anybody 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

All roads head west in that part of the world. Think of it as instinct 🙂

matt_outandabout
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So you rang the cops right?

ski
    Free Member

Darwin?

Edric64
    Free Member

Darwin ? evolution !!

paladin

ski – Member
    Darwin?

Northern australia

steezysix
    Free Member

I accidentally made my way onto the A303 last week when out for a ride. I was wearing a fluro jacket, it was daylight and the weather was nice. I was going with the flow of traffic. Despite all that I thought I was going to die. Got off at the earliest opportunity and found a quieter route home – definitely a road to avoid.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I often cross it on my long local loop by Yarnbury Castle and also on Byway 14 by Stonehenge. Never nice!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘To the chap riding along the Eastbound A303 around Popham earlier tonight…..’ is closed to new replies.