Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • To suit and boot or to not suit and boot?
  • letmetalktomark

I have an interview in just over a weeks time.

It’s with my current employer but a totally different part of the business and in that there Londinium

Dress code is smart but relaxed in my office – shirt, trousers (not jeans) with jacket and tie very much optional.

As such I abandoned suits some time ago.

Now do I rock up at the interview in shirt, tie and trousers or is a suit the “done thing”.

The job may require a more formal dress code so a suit would be useful …. When I get the job 😉

Does it really matter?

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Yes, wear a suit.

tommyhine

If in doubt suit up. they can’t criticise you in a suit but if not as smart they can always make judgements!

peterfile
    Free Member

The job may require a more formal dress code so a suit would be useful …. When I get the job

If the job may require a more formal dress code, why on earth would you think of heading to an interview in anything less than that standard?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes it’s an interview in a totally different part of the company!

franksinatra

Interview = Suit

Unless they have explicitly said not to. Always a suit.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Interview = Suit

Unless they have explicitly said not to. Always a suit.

Hear, hear!

Over dressed is fine. Under dressed is not.

letmetalktomark

Right then suit it is.

My place is a weird one in that dress code and expected dress code is difficult to predict.

Ironically many don’t like the too formal nature of a suit!

So then off to M&S at lunch 🙂

Albanach
    Free Member

Sorry for the thread hijack but similar scenario for me next week. Internal interview for a role within curren location – dress code for both the current role and role being interviewed for is very relaxed (jeans, t shirts, polo shirts etc). Do I just put a smarter shirt and pair of shoes on or go all out into a suit?

lunge

Letmetalktomark – suit up. No question at all.
    Albanach – shirt and trousers, give your shoes a polish as well!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

you can always dress down a suit by taking of your tie or jacket, you can’t smarten up shirt and trousers. Always go with the suit and adjust accordingly if you feel the need.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As lunge said re. OP’s question.

Albanach, you could perhaps go with a short sleeved shirt and tie combo…not as formal as long sleeved.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

short sleeved shirt and tie combo

A good suggestion! You are going for an interview as a bus driver, aren’t you?

😉

Jezkidd
    Free Member

I always ask myself who I would like to appear like.

Alternatively ask yourself: has James Bond ever been overdressed?

Suit up!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Albanach – who is the interview with? Can you sound it out? If it’s someone you know then there may be need to be any more formal than usual.

ourmaninthenorth

I’ve recently been through interviews for an internal role. Everywhere at this place is relaxed (trousers/jeans/chinos and shirt is normal for me), so I remained with my usual dress code. Not least because both interviews were conducted across MS Lync video, so they could only see me from the neck up….

My single piece of advice advice – other than not dressing like a bus driver – is to make sure your demeanour and preparation is as good as it would be for an external role.

nealglover
    Free Member

Albanach, you could perhaps go with a short sleeved shirt and tie combo…

You could also wear a tuxedo teeshirt and a cape.

But please don’t !

Both options will look awful.

MoreCashThanDash

If nothing else shows you’ve made the effort. I was called back for a second interview with a big American company which had a “smart shirt & chinos” type policy, so wore that to look like the natives. Pretty sure it was one of the reasons I didn’t get the job. Don’t risk it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Both options will look awful.

Well, if he goes for short sleeves without the turn-ups, button down collar, and a nice formal single single patch pocket, it wouldn’t look so bad, no? It’s a nice compromise between formal and informal. I’d suggest a nice light blue shirt and chocolate brown tie. Can’t understand this tizzy people get into about short-sleeved shirts myself.

lunge

Sorry but are we really suggesting turning up at an interview in a short sleeved shirt? And even worse, suggesting a tie with it? Wow. Just wow.

Suit, long sleeved shirt and tie – good
    Suit and shirt with no tie – good
    Trousers and shirt – good
    Shirt and tie with no jacket – bad
    Shirt sleeved shirt with anything bar shorts (and that is debatable) – really bad

And did I mention you should polish your shoes? Good.

footflaps

Sorry but are we really suggesting turning up at an interview in a short sleeved shirt? And even worse, suggesting a tie with it? Wow. Just wow.

It’s an interview with NASA in the 70s….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry but are we really suggesting turning up at an interview in a short sleeved shirt?

I was suggesting it for the second question on the thread. The OP could wear a short-sleeved shirt if he’s worried about perspiring and won’t be taking his jacket off. Who’ll know anyway?

They’re much comfier indoors!

franksinatra

Albanach, you could perhaps go with a short sleeved shirt and tie combo

Do that and they will think you are there to repair the photocopier

I’m struggling to think of an interview scenario that would not justify a suit, polished shoes and black socks. But maybe I am just old fashioned.

I doubt anyone has ever been turned down for a job for wearing a suit.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I turned up to my last interview in a short sleeved shirt. It was 29 degrees and the air conditioning was broken. The other candidates all came in suits. I think I got the job as I was the only one who survived the interview.

razorrazoo

Albanach – who is the interview with? Can you sound it out? If it’s someone you know then there may be need to be any more formal than usual.

I agree with this. I’ll quite often sound out client dress codes before meetings and would do for an internal interview too. If you are unable to find out then I concur with dressing up rather than down to err on the side of caution, perhaps without a tie depending on what is the done thing.

nealglover
    Free Member

Well, if he goes for short sleeves without the turn-ups, button down collar, and a nice formal single single patch pocket, it wouldn’t look so bad, no?

It would look awful.

The same as any short sleeve shirt would with a tie.

(And a button down collar would make it worse, not better)

lemonysam
    Free Member

Actually thinking back, I think it was shirt sleeves rolled up rather than a short sleeved shirt. I don’t know if that’s better or worse.

joshbosh12
    Free Member

“Dress for the job you want, not the job you have”

lemonysam
    Free Member

“Dress for the job you want, not the job you have”

So Mr Bosh, what do you think makes you suitable for this role?

daverallye

Always a suit for an interview if you ask me. I have interviewed people for internal jobs before, who were pretty good candidates, but turned up in jeans and a football shirt and to me that just says ‘I don’t really care about this’

nealglover
    Free Member

I had an interview for a Job recently that would require me to wear workwear (Combats/Polo Shirt/ Safety Boots/ Hi Viz)

I wore a Bespoke Suit to the interview.

I got the job.

antennae
    Free Member

‘m struggling to think of an interview scenario that would not justify a suit, polished shoes and black socks. But maybe I am just old fashioned.

In some ‘creative industry’ (advertising, design, media) jobs, the recruiters will actively encourage you *not* to wear a suit to interviews. Worth sounding out recruiter/HR if you’re not sure. I was gently mocked by the MD of my last ad agency for wearing one…

lemonysam
    Free Member

In some ‘creative industry’ (advertising, design, media) jobs

Also true of lots of “lifestyle” companies – outdoor retail, music etc.

hunterst
    Free Member

There are only 2 people i can think of that wear a short sleeved shirt and a tie – and neither are known for their sartorial elegance.

It’s a real bad move – don’t ever get involved with it!

njee20
    Free Member

Gently mocked, but not overlooked.

(And a button down collar would make it worse, not better)

Agreed, never a good look.

marko75
    Free Member

I think a tie is old fashioned and doesnt warrant a place in the office or even an interview. Suit/long sleeve shirt all good – Tie = bygone era.

Wear a tie for court appearances, your own wedding, very formal exams (vivas)and funerals.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

There are plenty of scenarios for not wearing a suit to an interview. There are also caveats for wearing them, in some strange, outdated, office environments 😉

I’ve interviewed people for roles who haven’t worn them, and it doesn’t cause me any issue. If they were the best candidate for the role then that’s what matters.

I start a new job soon – I went along in jeans and hoodie for my interview. Everyone was suited and booted. There were a few others there, being interviewed for roles which they would report to me. One guy asked if I was there to clean the windows & turned his nose up about my lack of effort to ‘dress up’ into a pointless outfit, that has no bearing on my ability to actually do the role I was recruited for.

Can’t wait to see if he got the job 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

I went along in jeans and hoodie for my interview. Everyone was suited and booted.

What was the job ?

Travis

When I was in sales, I always remember being told about the First 6.

When you open the door to meet someone for the first time.

The Top 6 inches, from the top of your hair down.
    Your first 6 steps.
    The first 6 words you say.
    The first 6 seconds when they look at you.
    During this time, an opinion is formed, so don’t make it any harder on yourself.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’d put a suit and tie on for an interview – no question.
    You can always loose the tie, and take the jacket off when you get there…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘To suit and boot or to not suit and boot?’ is closed to new replies.