Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • To SPD or not to SPD that is the question…..
  • slowclimb
    Free Member

My son is 8 and a pretty decent rider…however he has decided that for his birthday in a weeks time he wants spd shoes and pedals. I am loathe to get him them as I would rather he stuck with flats ( he has DMR V8s, so okay pedals)
    Does anybody have any tales or advice from kids that young getting SPDs?
    I did think about getting him SPD compatible 510 type shoes that he could use on flats and I could put SPDs on now and then to let him try, I’ve got loads of spare pairs.
    Other thing was I cant find 510 type shoes small enough he is a UK2 size maybe a 3 at a push, that seems to be where SPD shoes start anyway.

geoffj

He’s too young for spuds and they’re not even necessary unless he’s racing. More a fashion accessory from the last decade than of practical use to leisure MTBers IMHO.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Surely its more about keeping his interest in the sport? Let him decide and develop rather than tell him what he should or shouldnt do? If its what he really wants why not, Im sure it can do no harm.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Crank brothers level 3 stuff has got beyond the issues people keep going back to. Mix the Mallet with minaars and it’s a good combo

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

So you need to be a certain age to use spds? Come on whats necessary got to do with it the lad wants spds.

geoffj

So you need to be a certain age to use spds? Come on whats necessary got to do with it the lad wants spds.

I’m assuming that the lad wants spuds because he incorrectly believes that they ARE necessary – the same reason most weekend warrior types on here use them. He may actually be better learning proper bike handling skills without having his feet screwed to the pedals.

somouk
    Free Member

There are no major problems letting him have SPDs really but I’d want to keep him away from riding near roads with them incase he has a falling over moment.

RustySpanner

Tell him he can have the left one for his birthday and the right one for Christmas.

Give him time to make a fair & vald comparison. 🙂

spacemonkey

Not sure I’d have wanted SPDs at that age. Think I was 14 when I started. Haven’t worn flatties or similar since.

tomhoward

I’m assuming that the lad wants spuds because he incorrectly believes that they ARE necessary – the same reason most weekend warrior types on here use them. He may actually be better learning proper bike handling skills without having his feet screwed to the pedals.

Presumably he should have a rigid bike too? To ‘teach’ him to ride?

geoffj

Presumably he should have a rigid bike too? To ‘teach’ him to ride?

😀

The point that I’m failing so miserably to get across is that he may want them because he thinks that that is what is normal – what proper mountain bikers use. That was certainly the perceived wisdom until the past 3 or 4 years when flat pedals started to become more popular again. The perceived wisdom now, is probably that unless you are racing, being clipped in affords few advantages but can lead to a poorer technique in the air.
    I thought there were also some developmental type issues which made kids using spuds a bad idea, but I can’t remember where or when i dreamt read that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The point that I’m failing so miserably to get across is that he may want them because he thinks that that is what is normal

Thats because it is

That was certainly the perceived wisdom until the past 3 or 4 years when flat pedals started to become more popular again.

really?

The perceived wisdom now, is probably that unless you are racing, being clipped in affords few advantages but can lead to a poorer technique in the air.

Is that what people who can’t cope with SPD’s say?

edhornby

how long are the shoes going to last before he grows out of them? I would use this reasoning for my miserablevictoriandad routine 🙂

shimano SPDs with the tension wound right out are pretty easy to pop out when about to fall – the comments about ‘the right technique in the air’ sound like a load of pony to me IMO

If it were me I’d ask him to stick with flats, maybe get another grownup to downplay the supposed benefit of cleats, I don’t think there’s a massive benefit especially compared to the user ease that flats give (just jump on and go is a useful thing)

IHN

Ignoring all the arguments above, as you’ve already found your main issue may be getting SPDable shoes in a child’s size. MrsIHN has size 4 feet and strugggles.

somouk
    Free Member

The perceived wisdom now, is probably that unless you are racing, being clipped in affords few advantages but can lead to a poorer technique in the air.

Don’t some of the top DH people now use SPDs as well? They all seem to get plenty of air.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and plenty of people on flats have shit technique in the air too

geoffj

Don’t some of the top DH people now use SPDs as well? They all seem to get plenty of air.

Yes, because being clipped in will give you a small advantage in terms of pedalling efficiency – I’m just not sure the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for mere mortals who aren’t racing.

Is that what people who can’t cope with SPD’s say?

Busted 😳

footflaps

Not sure I’d have wanted SPDs at that age.

They hadn’t been invented when I was that age!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Most of the guys I see ride flats, but then most of them ride aggressively on very steep technical trails.

If my biking circle consisted of xc guys wearing lycra who cycle around the drops I assume most of them would be using clips.

If your kid likes jumping, technical and rides aggressively, I’d convince him not to use spds by showing him millions of pinkbike videos of top freeriders using flats. If he just likes XC and rides off the gas then go for it.

jfletch
    Free Member

Don’t some of the top DH people now use SPDs as well?

Almost all of them do. And always have.

I don’t think its a pedaling efficiency thing, more that having your feet attached to the pedals means there is less chance of them bouncing off, causing you to crash etc.

If you want to be a top level racer (DH or XC) then I think there is a lot to be said to learning with both. SPDs are ace for racing or riding hard but can lead to sloppy technique but if you never ride with them then switching to SPDs can be hard as well. All the DH gods can undoubtedly ride better than most of us with flats as well!
    w
    If you aren’t racing then who gives two shits what you use.

So if you do get them for the lad then make sure you get him a pedal spanner as well and teach him to switch between the two himself!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

glasgowdan – Member
    Most of the guys I see ride flats, but then most of them ride aggressively on very steep technical trails.

If my biking circle consisted of xc guys wearing lycra who cycle around the drops I assume most of them would be using clips.
    and in the rest of the world not many segregate themselves like that. Some of the quickest technical riders I know are clipped in and super smooth for it.

But as we all know riders in flats are 27.5% more awzum with their feet flailing all over the place unable to commit to anything vaguely technical without taking a foot off.

egb81
    Free Member

The SPD argument is merely horses for courses. I love it when the trail gets steep and techy and I ride clips. I like to know that my feet are secure and in a position I know and trust on the pedals. There’s a level of confidence to be gained from that, which enables me to focus on the trail rather than my footing. Admittedly, I can’t jump for toffee but I’m going to blame that on being an XC racer as a kid and never really playing around on jumps. 🙄

Re. an 8yr old with SPDs, my only concern would be getting shoes that fit. If you’ve got an 8yr old who’s cool enough to mountain bike then I’m sure he’s capable of deciding whether he like SPDs or not.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I personally think you should get some second hand stuff of ebay. At that age though having a fall or two five (which will happen) could seriously put him off biking so you could say no not until your older.

chiefgrooveguru

Mikewsmith, you seem to get unduly annoyed when someone suggests that flats promote better technique. I can’t imagine many racers in any form of MTBing never considering clips becauses they’re usually quicker at the pointy end of competition but all those racers can probably also ride flats really well. There are however plenty of riders who would ride clips much better if they spent some time on flats correcting their technique. That’s not just downhill and jumping but pedalling too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s not saying that Flats promote better technique it’s the “can’t do that on clips” running flats won’t fix your technique, fixing your technique is the thing thats required.

I was mostly just poking fun at Glasgowdans semi trolling post that clips are for XC and anyone riding steep tech stuff needs to be on flats.

nail
    Free Member

Fit the shoes with Muti Release Cleats – they are anyway and everyway out. They are the ones with ‘M’ stamped on them. But bear in mind that even with the pedal adjustment slackened right off small feet are always harder to release than large feet.

garage-dweller

Leaving aside the spuds are for fairies who can’t jump / flats are for bmx “debate” I think the following has far mire relevance.

He is 8.
    He is still growing and his bones and surrounding biology are not even close to fully developed.
    Badly set up spuds at this age might cause some long term harm.

garage-dweller

Just as an aside I just canned my spuds mainly because for my multi purpose bike they are inconvenient.

Want to cycle to town or quick lap of the local landmark with the kids, change pedals or wear disco slippers. As a kid isn’t that likely to be a pain or is riding sport only.

rickon
    Free Member

^ this.

^ and this.

Get him some 5.10 VXis in a flashy colour, and some thin flat pedals – those V8s are clumpy and horrible. Some thin ones will lower his CoG, and make him feel more in the bike, and on it.

Plus the VXis look awesomz. They’re very stiff, grippy, and last a lot longer than other 5.10s.

Pedals are totally personal, but pretty much anyone that’s gone to clipless pedals has done so because

a) their mates ride them or
    b) marketing has made them think they’re for enthusiasts, and flats are either for numpties or a jump park.

The thought of your foot coming off the pedal is because of not using the right technique, because you feel that you don’t *need* to drop your heels when descending. When it’s really important. Clipless promote not doing it.

I’ve only learnt how to ride my bike properly since stopping wearing clipless.

Although lots of people will have good technique who ride clipless, if all people wore flats they’d be a lot more who did.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I started on some terrible flats and moved to clipless because of my feet not staying on the pedals, recently bought a DH bike which came with flats, good ones with pins, tried sticking them on the trail bike for a ride and haven’t ridden clipless off road since…
    At 8 I agree that riding with fixed foot positions could have a bad impact on supple bones still in developement… Plus if he was to have an spd fall over sideways moment it may put him off the whole thing a but…

bjhoppalong
    Free Member

When I was that age I really wanted a set of pedals and shoe but because me feet feet were growing too much mum and dad simply said there was no point and now I am older my feet have settled in at size 11 so only now have I bought my own decent pair of spd shoes and pedals so for now I would say stick him in some skate shoes on flats

mrmo
    Free Member

He is 8.
    He is still growing and his bones and surrounding biology are not even close to fully developed.

+1

nothing else is really relevant, I would say learning how to ride spds is a good thing, but not yet.

nickc

Pedals are totally personal,

but pretty much anyone that’s gone to clipless flat pedals has done so because

b) marketing has made them think they’re for enthusiasts rad gnarly dudes, and flats clipless are either for numpties or a jump park. xc jeybois

well quite…

I can’t decide if I prefer the pedal or the wheel size debate for bringing out the best in folk 😆

crikey
    Free Member

If you’d like him to be a mountain biker, keep him on flats. If you’d like him to be a cyclist, able to ride XC, CX, road then he should be on clipless pedals when he wants to be.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Keep him on flats until he can bunny hop a foot, then he’s ready.

loddrik
    Free Member

I love SPD’s and much prefer them to flats, always ridden them and always will. But I’d definitely recommend flats for an 8 year old though. Better for him to be able to get clear of the bike in a bail out. And he’s going to prefer being airborne if he isn’t already. Let him use spuds when he gets older.

rickon
    Free Member

but pretty much anyone that’s gone to clipless flat pedals has done so because

b) marketing has made them think they’re for enthusiasts rad gnarly dudes, and flats clipless are either for numpties or a jump park. xc jeybois

Balls.

How many people have gone from SPDs to flats? Loads less than flats to SPD.

Also, go into a bike shop, how many disco slippers do you see compared to flat shoes?

Its probably an 80/20 split, with the product placement making people think that SPDs are superior.

I’ve worn SPDs for years, And there great for racing, but there is a strong bias for anyone getting into riding that its a natural progression from flats to clipless.

Barely anyone else is peer pressured into wearing flats. Which is what annoys me, that people think you *have* to wear clipless.

Northwind

rickon – Member

Only because practically everyone starts on flats 😕

jonba
    Free Member

Balls.

Plenty of people run both.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘To SPD or not to SPD that is the question…..’ is closed to new replies.