Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • To Retro Kona or Not?
  • d45yth
    Free Member

Cheers. Thanks for the brake tip too, I’ll sort it out when I put some fresh cables on.

Hopefully I might be able to swap some disc wheels I’ve got for some non-disc ones. Then I’ll be able to put a 9sp XT groupset I’ve laying about.

The hub on the current back wheel is a purple/Ti Hope one, I guess there isn’t much call for 7sp these days though?

Can anyone please recommend me a reasonably priced headset for it? I can’t remember what was considered good back in the day!

robdob
    Free Member

94 Fire Mountain:

Nice bike. Don’t let the plain guage tubing put you off, these ride really nicely as they have the much nicer triple butted forks. Lovely bikes. I did a Hahanna for a friend which had the heavier forks on and it was great to ride – yours should be better.

Bike I did for my mate:

Headset – something normally available on CRC for £10. Remember you’ll need proper headset spanners to adjust it though. Worth seeking out an Impact headset (ask on Retrobike or eBay) as they only need 1 Allen key to adjust and last forever.

holdsteady

No idea of age of this one but nearly bought it for a cheap commuter in s colour that would put majority of urchins off nicking. Assume it’s a recent model?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/kona-cindercone-mountain-bike/1053455843

robdob
    Free Member

Yes it’s a modern one. Heavier and not as nice to ride really. But ok at that price if nothing needs replacing.

zippykona

The Impact Headset is what should have taken over not aheadset.
    Being able to adjust your handlebar height whenever or wherever you like is something I miss.
    No worrying about over/under tightening your stem bolts.

luddite
    Free Member

Chuck a set of V brakes on it and bigger tyres, my ’92 Hahanna has Continental Vert 2.3 front and a 2.1 xc pro in the back. Single speed courtesy of an On-One Doofer. Use and like it far more than I should! 🙂

chestrockwell

The hub on the current back wheel is a purple/Ti Hope one, I guess there isn’t much call for 7sp these days though?

If the hub is not cracked they’ll pay good money for it on retrobike.

stevenewy
    Free Member

My neighbour kindly gave me a 1990 lava dome, I was just going to get it in a fit state to ride and just mess about on it. But after looking on the Internet and reading some of the comments above I think a little bit of tinkering is in order.

stevenewy
    Free Member

Just discovered it is the limited edition white 1990 kona lava dome that i have, so full respray may not be an option. Mmmmmmm

cookeaa

Mine:

I think it’s got a 2.1″ Spesh captain in the back not much more clearance past the brakes though…

98 Fire Mountain SS’d with a later model Ahead fitting, disc brake tabbed P2 fork, I loves it I does!

I’ll finally be adding a Rear disc brake some time over the Summer in preparation for winter, Time to get out the spoons, Carbon fibre and epoxy out, might be able to squeeze a 2.3″ tyre in then.

Old Konas are great

I notice on the picture you’ve got the old rear canti’ cable routing collar thingy on that, cold be a sought after item on retrobike if you go over to V brakes then you won’t need it…

Would probably make a good touring set up, as it is presently, with just the addition of some Bar ends, slicks and panniers IMO…

Edit Just realized this is an unearthed month old thread, sorry… Carry on…

stevenewy
    Free Member

Almost back on the road, decided not to go down the custom paint job route.
    Keeping things as standard as they can be, with a few little tweeks, the bike already has a deore groupset inc biopace chain rings along with Dave Hinde hand built Mavic M231 rims. Can’t wait to hit the tracks.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘To Retro Kona or Not?’ is closed to new replies.