• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by st.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • To respray or not to respray before selling a bike/Frame
  • GEDA
    Free Member

I have a 2006 patriot that is in good nick that I was thinking about selling it. Too many bikes! The frame is in great nick but the paint is tatty. I just noticed that Triple 'S' Powder coating is in Bingley and I am going to see my sister there in a few weeks so it would be dead cheap to get it done and they are recommended. Would it be worth the £35 + 19 for the sticker set. I was not sure as I has seen posted on here that people like to see what they are buying.

soobalias
    Free Member

selling on here i would just reflect the required respray in the price this lets the buyer see the real condition and allows them to pick the colour.

selling to a mate/locally then the wow factor of a respray might be well worth it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldn't bother. Personally, I'd prefer to see the bike tatty but honest… 🙂

fenboy

i'd say leave as is too!

GEDA
    Free Member

Half my stuff I can't bear to sell as the price goes too low after a time but just bought a Prophet MX to replace the Patriot. Peter are you going to the Alps Chantel in a few weeks again, Drp said he was so I was wondering if you were going as well?

stumpy01

A fresh re-spray would make me suspicious that you were trying to hide something.

But I am a cynical git.

thomthumb
    Free Member

A fresh re-spray would make me suspicious that you were trying to hide something

+1

DrP

Geda – he is!

You staying nearby, or morzine again?

DrP

duntstick
    Free Member

Don't mind tatty s/h bikes but wouldn't buy one resprayed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

A fresh re-spray would make me suspicious that you were trying to hide something.

But I am a cynical git.

for sure on a patriot – notorious for the shock mounts cracking

GEDA
    Free Member

We are staying in Morzine. I am there till Wednesday and was looking for someone to ride with. Endless ride is your friend for GPS.

GEDA
    Free Member

Triple 'S' Powder coating is not as cheap as I thought. £95 + VAT so lets call it £115 + (stickers + bearings + time) = £155. Getting close to Orange prices.

speaker2animals

From a purely financial point of view, my recent experience of having to sell all sorts of things, is that you will very unlikely get back the extra that you spend, even though it does seem like a cheap job. And as others say a lot of people would be suspicious or refuse to buy a resprayed bike/frame.

I certainly wouldn't bother and just be honest in your ad and with any photos you send out.

Edric64
    Free Member

leave it as it is .I have bought old road frames from the 40s and prefer original paint you cant hide a knackered frame that way

st

As a buyer I'd rather pay a bit less and see that the frame is sound then get it painted myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘To respray or not to respray before selling a bike/Frame’ is closed to new replies.