Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • to prick or not to prick (sausage heavy content)
  • bentiggerwyles
    Free Member

As a sausage fan I have come to realise sausages have to be done in a pan but the question remains “to prick or not to prick”

Let’s open the flood gates

Rscott
    Free Member

Do Not prick the sausage learn to cook it properly.

You sir are not a sausage fan if this question even needs to be asked.

Sorry a slightly outraged Fan here.

zokes
    Free Member

Don’t be a prick

camo16
    Free Member

Prick.

Definitely prick.

Prick to get the sloppy juice out.

Otherwise, you get baked alaska sausages and nobody wants those.

Yak

Live life on the edge – no pricks 😉

luffy105
    Free Member

Don’t prick, let them cook in their own juices and when cooked there will invariably be some splitting allowing the excess fats out.

pjm84
    Free Member

Do Not prick the sausage learn to cook it properly.

plus 1

ThePinkster

Only cheap sausages need pricking because of their dubious contents.

Any decent sausage should never be pricked as it won’t explode and the moisture is retained in the skin.

camo16
    Free Member

Damn. Am I the only prick on STW? 😳

Clobber
    Free Member

Camo must buy shit sausages…

Quick sear over coals and then slow indirect cooking in a smokey kettle bbq..

Definitely no pricking

Davesport

Only cheap sausages need pricking because of their dubious contents.

Any decent sausage should never be pricked as it won’t explode and the moisture is retained in the skin.

This !

Pinkster beat me to it.

wwaswas

I always grill mine 🙂

Bregante

Well My local butcher tells customers in no uncertain terms that on no account should his award winning bangers be pricked

http://www.pjhowarthbutcher.com/news/howarths-butchers-a-family-run-business-in-urmston-with-a-great-reputation/

Drac

Don’t be a prick.

camo16
    Free Member

Camo must buy shit sausages…

Hey! I get ’em with herbs and everything. 👿

The problem’s with you guys who fall for that old ‘100% meat’ chestnut… Suckers. The nasty white gristle is the best bit. 😀

binners

The truth is, it really doesn’t matter. There is a no way anything ‘bad’ can happen where sausages are involved

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I want a sausage butty NOW!!!

camo16
    Free Member

Well My local butcher…

That’s so STW it hurts.

Drac

Only place I but sausages from is a good butchers.

Cougar

Bregante

Well My local butcher…
    That’s so STW it hurts.

Don’t you have butchers near you then?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Did not prick. Cooked on a medium heat. Exploded everywhere. Tesco finest exploded sausages for dinner.

bentiggerwyles
    Free Member

Well it is getting harder and harder to find a good butchers there is no longer one in my town sad times

camo16
    Free Member

Don’t you have butchers near you then?

Probably, but we’re in the lower earner eschelon, so ours are utilitatian supermarket puppies.

Clobber
    Free Member

pan too hot, whatnobeer

bentiggerwyles
    Free Member

I did it both ways as an experiment and I have seen the light in pricked was much juicier I have to admit that they are tesco finest as no butchers around but would never buy cheap sausages that is sacrilege!

bernard
    Free Member

Damn you all I was trying not to eat the sausages in the fridge…my will power broke with all the sausage chat. Sausage sandwiches for lunch

brakes
    Free Member

I have a question about cooking sausages. How do I stop them getting covered in black gloopy bits that I have to scrape off? Is it the fat I’m using? Have they been cooked too hot?

Drac

Good example of how not to cook them there Whatnobeer.

Probably, but we’re in the lower earner eschelon, so ours are utilitatian supermarket puppies.

I find unless you go for the really very crap sausages that butchers are cheaper with no bonus you can by the amount you need rather than what’s in the shrink wrap.

binners

BURN THE HERETIC!!!!!

the black gloopy bits are the best bit!!! Scrape them off?!!! Oh mercy!!

bentiggerwyles
    Free Member

I like the black gloopy bits on my sausage!!!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

pan too hot, whatnobeer

Good example of how not to cook them there Whatnobeer.

Yup, not one of my best efforts. Didn’t think I had the pan too high, but judging from the results I obviously did!

camo16
    Free Member

I find unless you go for the really very crap sausages that butchers are cheaper with no bonus you can by the amount you need rather than what’s in the shrink wrap.

* is interested *

Might check out the local butcher’s then. What price scale are we talking for STW-approved bangers?

ransos
    Free Member

Tesco finest exploded sausages for dinner.

Tesco finest = contradiction in terms. Butcher’s sausages FTW.

Drac

. What price scale are we talking for STW-approved bangers?

You can’t really put a price on them it’s down the butcher how good they are. Make sure they do their own though and not sell ones mass produced.

jamiea
    Free Member

Tip I read somewhere was to put the sausages and a oil in a cold heavy bottomed pan and get them up to cooking temp gradually.

Cheers,
    Jamie

plumber
    Free Member

sausage cooking instructions from that radio 4 many years ago

‘don’t prick, put in a pan with no fat or oil, put on very (and I mean very) low heat, take the dog for a walk for an hour, come back and you will have the greateest sausages ready to slap on a butty’

I always use this method and it is correct, the greatest cooking method ever.

I sustitute dog walking with chick shagging or something though.

Plum

brakes
    Free Member

maybe I’m just getting too many gloopy bits then – it’s like having a slug crawling on my sausage*

*now there’s a euphemism

Tango-Man
    Free Member

The Best Sausage Shop…in the World

And yes, they deliver, luckily for me they are only 40 minutes away

whatnobeer
    Free Member

To be honest, my favourite way of doing sausages is to cook them in a tin of cider with onions and bacon until nearly all the cider has evaporated. Wonderful.

binners

That sounds bloody lovely fella!!! Think I may have to give that a go this evening 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘to prick or not to prick (sausage heavy content)’ is closed to new replies.