Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • To polish a painted frame?
  • Si
    Free Member

How easy is it to remove paint and get a polished finished to an all ready panted frame. Can it be done to steel aswell as alu.

Is it easily done at home or more of a send it away business and anyone got any experience on douing this. Once done I assume best then to put on a clear lacaquer coat rather than leave completely raw.

What sort of local business would do this work??

HermanShake
    Free Member

I read some guys were doing this to their deep Vs on the fixed gear forum. Patience, wet & dry glasspaper (sandpaper to your man on the street) and progression through the coarseness grades. When you start getting into the really high number grades it just needs finishing with a buffer.

Does require a fair bit of elbow grease and commitment!

Sandblasting may be an option as this should get into the nooks and crannies that glasspaper may not.

Lifer
    Free Member

There was a phase of people on SDH nitromorsing their frames a while back, just search for ‘nitromors’ lots of threads about it!

http://www.southerndownhill.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have heard lacquering over steel doesn’t work too well.

I’d be bead blasting & power buffering unless you have a huge time:money ratio.

clubber
    Free Member

Nitromors will do the job but is messy and nasty.

Sandblasting is easiest – yellow pages should help

Bear in mind that steel will need lacquering to avoid rust and depending on the type of alumninium, it may tarnish (go dull) if not lacquered.

I wouldn’t bother myself (having done it in the past).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘To polish a painted frame?’ is closed to new replies.