Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • To pay or not to pay,that is the question.
  • project
    Free Member

Small to medium sized enterprise,(SME),has a staff of 10 people,produceing widgets etc,due to the snow 3,say they cant get into work,for the last few days,so we have no production from them,they cant home work.

So do i pay them to sit at home,or not pay them and they may take the Michael and take a few more days off,as theyre getting paid for being at home,and then the other staff may stop at home as well.

Or tell them they can take unpaid leave of absence,and not get paid,or just shut up shop for the next week and when we dont produce anything or sell anything we may go bust.

If its good enough for teachers……………….

Houns

Tell them they have to take it as Holiday…It happened to me on Tuesday and i was fine with it

naedeyw
    Free Member

Where I work, when the boss made the decision not to open [Tues pm & Weds this week] he is paying wages. When he has made the decision to open, anyone not making it in has the option of taking the time as paid leave or not being paid.

gusamc
    Free Member

naedeyw +1

spooky_b329

My gf's employer has told all their staff (c.80?) that from Monday, if they don't come in, they have to take it as holiday or unpaid.

For a small company, I think your employee's should understand the predicament you're in if they value their jobs.

Unfortunately in my gf's case, I think the firm is more concerned with their billing targets/unchargeable time rather than the ability to stay solvent.

timwillows
    Free Member

You might want to check the employment law on this, I think that your options are a little constrained

colnagokid

naedeyw +1

tails
    Free Member

let them have the days they have taken so far and say any more will be unpaid, or perhaps let those who did come in have some extra days off in the summer that'll properly teach the others some work ethics. Your not a head teacher are you? 😆

seb
    Free Member

for us we have the choice to make up the time, use holidays or take it unpaid.
    But we are all expected to come in.
    For my wife's company, they are asking people to come to work, even if they have to catch a taxi, company will pay for the taxi if required…

jonb
    Free Member

naedeyw + another 1

uplink
    Free Member

You might want to check the employment law on this, I think that your options are a little constrained

There's no issue with making people take paid leave or docking their wages if they don't turn up
    Their Ts & Cs may stipulate how holidays can & can't be taken but I don't believe there's any legislation to prevent this for most industries

It's tough when you're a small employer & just can't afford to take the hit
    Going back a few years I had 2 [out of 4] employees calling in to say they couldn't make it in as the snow was too deep etc.
    I drove round their house & picked them up 🙂

Spunkmonkey
    Free Member

This may help: Snow Rights

RichPenny
    Free Member

Like most on here, our people have the option of taking either paid or unpaid leave. How bad are the conditions around you? If people genuinely cannot get in, maybe half pay as a compromise? You'd be going further than most with that offer I'm sure.

Bear
    Free Member

Explain to them that if they value having a job in the future that you can't afford to pay them for time not at work. I'm sure that most would offer to make the time up, take it as holiday or reach some comprimise between yourselves. Surely a job in worth a lot more to them that a few days pay in the long run?

project
    Free Member

The top line of my original post should have read.

This is not my company,but one i know of,

(somehow it didnt appear).

ScottChegg
    Free Member

We had the same issue at work. To get around it, we hired a couple of 4WD Volvo's, and anyone who can't come in can be picked up. We can't run the presses with no bodies, so taking Holiday's (paid or not) aren't the answer. A bit of caring for your staff gets around all the unpleasantness.

It's worth remebering though, that Employment law says that if they need to look after dependents, like when schools are closed, that can't be forced to be a Holiday.

RichPenny
    Free Member

ScottChegg, surely you'd have to take it as unpaid leave? Valid point though Project, you'll need to consult your HR person 😉

gazman
    Free Member

project i was just about to offer you my services, as a builder i cannot work so am looking for some indoor work. any offers manchester area, 😉

email in profile

thomthumb
    Free Member

i didn't make it in one day last week. if i was told that i could either have it as annual or unpaid leave i'd think that was perfectly fair.

Work is having a 'snow day' monday, as we've sold our grit to the council! 😯 I expect to get paid. as i may have been able to make it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘To pay or not to pay,that is the question.’ is closed to new replies.