Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 152 total)
  • To much Roadie Talk.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

It’s seasonal innit, though a bit arse about face, should be road summer and mtb in the winter.

I was just thinking I’ve not seen a Cervello in months.

TooTall
    Free Member

I felt my point was very fair and justified, noticed a significant increase in road bike subjects on a mountain bike forum!

A quick swag of your last 18 posts shows me that 10 of them have nothing to do with mountain biking.

I’d recommend ‘the real world’ if you are fretting about non-cycling things. Or post about mountain bikes yourself?

convert

I’m no grammar pedant – when you make as many typos as I do it would make me a tremendous hypocrite.

That title does make me smile though – one tiny error and the entire sentiment is reversed. Thanks for the amusement! I think we should have more thread titles in the form of a toast- “To dusty trails and may all you punctures happen just yards from the car park.”

Sam

I honestly don’t get that, Road biking is great and has its benefits but MTBing is why I do it… Winter or Summer.

I don’t know about you but I just can’t stand going out for a quick blast and spending long cleaning bikes and clothes than I did riding. I could count the times I’ve ridden a mtb since October on one hand -only if it’s frozen solid or snow covered….

antigee

not sure how much is “road” and how much is “roadie” – by roadie then that invokes a license carrying club member rather than riding for training/pleasure or commuting by road – not that it matters think point is if bike related question then will probably getting some good pointers and sometimes brilliantly useful answers (same applies OT threads)

i always think if you don’t like the thread don’t read it

though being a traditionalist i prefer the [darkside]warning[/darkside]

crazy-legs

BTW, it’s the winter, people are on their boring road bikes more, wait a few months and it’ll all go away increase tenfold when the Tour starts.

FTFY. 😉

antigee

Crazy-legs is talking nonsense of course – as there used to be much less road stuff on here – there is no way of knowing that 😉

convert

Sorry, in the above smugness I forgot to actually add an opinion.

I come from a road and triathlon background. Reading the “roadie” topics every now and then I’d say most of them aren’t very “roadie” at all. It’s quite clear from what is typed that a lot of contributors are not dyed in the wool road cyclists who have been at it for years but relatively new converts, often from a mountain biking heritage. It’s people talking about riding bikes on the road – which imo is a very different thing. It also says a little about the poor off road conditions we have had a lot of in the last year or two and (most, clearly not the op) mountain bikers growing preparedness to try other formats of the same sport. Diversification if you will. I see this as a good thing.

mangatank
    Free Member

Convert- Absolutely spot-on analysis. Agree with all of that.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I felt my point was very fair and justified, noticed a significant increase in road bike subjects on a mountain bike forum!
    If like myself you ride both, great but use the appropriate forum!

Or just don’t read a post you’re not interested in. Seriously why do posts about road bikes annoy you enough to start a topic about it?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“Seriously why do posts about road bikes annoy you enough to start a topic about it?”

This

But general I think most have been better recently. For instance, we had a nice little chat about football yday without one single “wendyball” comment.

If you don’t like it… don’t view it.

OP, do you watch EastEnders? To then moan about it at the end ??

Just turn over man, who made you the thread police ??

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m confused – I cycle to work and back on a road bike 40 miles, five days a week. Outside of winter, I “mountain bike” at the weekends.

Am I a roadie or a mountie? 🙁

wwaswas

Am I a roadie or a mountie?

you’re a cyclist.

I think the OP was complainign abotu people talkign about it on here, not which category they’d put themselves in.

I take a cross bike on rides that involve both road and singletrack. Where do I post?

joao3v16
    Free Member

If you don’t like it… don’t view it.

OP, do you watch EastEnders? To then moan about it at the end ??

Tut. Double standards.

It’s a well established tradition on STW to watch stuff we don’t like specifically so that we can say how crap it was. The weekly “Top Gear” threads for example.

Moaning about stuff that we could easily just avoid/ignore is an integral part of being British.

😀

davetrave
    Free Member

Nobody’s picked him for this one yet:

Although both can complement each other you wouldn’t ride your road bike off road and visa vice versa however I am at a loss with cyclocross

Can I have £5 as well…?

Oh yeah, sorry, need to add an opinion too:

It’s all bikes innit…! Like most I’m an MTBer originally, diversified in to road and cross for the times that I’ve not been able to ride MTB. Occasional threads on here do seem to be more “MTBers who coincidentally ride road bikes” and, therefore, as far as I’m concerned are fine – variety is the spice of life, etc…

DezB
    Free Member

Go and read Cyclist magazine, it’s a road version of Singletrack

Cool. They should start a forum yeah?!

[edit]if Singletrack was to begin including the occasional classy road riding feature with great photos and write-ups..
    I would instantly cancel my subscription.

wwaswas

I would instantly cancel my subscription.

You’re exagerating.

It would take longer than that, a couple of minutes at least.

DezB
    Free Member

Yes, of course. I’d be so furious my operation of the mouse would be compromised.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“exagerating”? 😯

edlong
    Free Member

Okay, flameproof suit on, I’m going to swim against the tide and agree with the OP’s sentiment. The flavour of the forum does, to me, seem increasingly to be roadie, if cycling related at all. A lot of the time I don’t think people even notice.

For example, there was a thread I posted on the other day that was “what’s the fastest you’ve travelled on a mountain bike?” and LOADS of the posts were people talking about how fast they’d gone on their road bikes. No one (including me, couldn’t be bothered) even queried this, it’s just normal.

Not that long ago there was a thread where people were talking about their mountain biking and lots, I mean LOTS of people were saying that they hadn’t ridden mountain bikes for years, mainly rode road, etc. and were still on here for reasons that had nowt at all to do with mountain biking.

People occasionally take the pee out of MBR on here and the fact is that their forum has about a dozen active members and threads move at a glacial pace BUT if I have a question about mountain biking, I’m more likely to post it on there than here. The few people who post on there are all active mountain bikers who, yes, take the pee and banter with other, but also talk about mountain biking for the most part.

To be honest, if you blanked the top of the screen and asked someone to look through the forum posts, I’m not sure they’d come to conclusion that this was a “mountain biking” forum and more that it’s a middle class car owners forum, a general cycling forum, or just a middle-class lifestyle forum (main subjects: Cars, stuff on the telly, wood burners, coffee machines, consumer affairs and the sale of goods act, and a bit of cycling).

Yes, I know, no one forces me to read or contribute at gunpoint, can choose to go elsewhere etc. but I have an opinion, as does the OP and nowt wrong with expressing it in a forum. As an aside, there’s a bit of unpleasantness to the way critical opinions are responded to, this thread being an example.

wwaswas

“exagerating”?

It’s like exaggerating, but takes less time 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Nyss.

piemonster

cyclocross rocks

wwaswas

I counted 4 road threads on the front page of the bike forum.

Doesn’t seem too bad to me.

Maybe people are just seeing what reinforces their prejudices?

tarquin
    Free Member

I bought that Cyclist magazine for a sticky beak on the plane back to Aus. Turns out it was really quite good, best of the 3-4 magazines I’ve bought.

DezB
    Free Member

I just read the whole of edlong’s post. Good eh?

Anyway, this is the middle-class-lifestyle-wood-burner-shaving-recipe-advice chat forum, I don’t think you could mistake the Bike Forum (over there << ) (which, in my experience, is always EXTREMELY useful and helpful about MTB (or any other rubbish form of cycling) matters), for anything but a cycling forum.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not sure they’d come to conclusion that this was a “mountain biking” forum and more that it’s a middle class car owners forum, a general cycling forum, or just a middle-class lifestyle forum

Umm.. there are two forums here. One is cycling, and one is middle-class lifestyle (and other stuff). You do know about the bike forum page don’t you?

Just roughly counted 27 mtb-specific threads on the first page, a few that could be either, about three or four road thrads, some commuting ones and one about sheds.

tacopowell
    Free Member

I posted the thread not because I’m a hater or because I’m the “Thread Police” or because I thought I’d try my hand at Trolling,
    To be completely honest I didn’t actually have a negative thought when writing the OP,
    I’ve only recently started using the forum, for MTB related and non MTB related posts (Chat Forum), I’ve added to the community, trying to keep a positive note in my posts, Yes I like to grumble in real life, but I’m generally positive person.

I took an observation about how on a Mountain Biking forum there was a fair amount of Road cycling talk, I wasn’t negative to anyone, I simply put my opinion across,
    I put a suggestion to people that there was a Road cycling forum in the form of road.cc (I wouldn’t expect to see a flurry of Playstation posts on an XBox forum?)

Add that my grammar was poor (Hands Up) I then received a torrent of abuse or just general negativity in reaction a simple suggestion based on my opinion,
    Some agreed, some took the extreme, talking of leg shaving fairies or something (don’t quote me on that!) but most of which were a negative and often abusive reaction, fine I except that!
    We are of course on the internet, freedom to/too(?) express yourself as you please,
    However what upsets me is this goes against the pretty good atmosphere that I’ve felt from the forums in the past couple of months.

I apologize my post caused such negativity 😳

I’m leaving it this

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy4uiiy0qgA[/video]

wwaswas

because I thought I’d try my hand at Trolling,

*reported*

DezB
    Free Member

I apologize my post caused such negativity

A bit of research would have clearly told you that the roadies on here are a very defensive lot 😉

edlong
    Free Member

I counted 4 road threads on the front page of the bike forum.

It’s not just the thread titles though, is it? Like I said, someone started a thread asking how fast people had gone on their mountain bikes. The title of the thread is “What’s the fastest speed you’ve reached on a mountain bike?” Go and see how many of the replies tell you how fast people have gone on a road bike…

molgrips
    Free Member

On the subject of segregation, I think it makes forums worse. Many other forums are broken down into extremely specific sub-categories, and this means that people only go to the ones they are interested in, so your posts end up being seen by a handful of people.

In reality, we’re not solely interested in one specific thing. We like lots of stuff – I like MTB, road, I commute, I drive a car, I own a house, I drink coffee, I travel, take pictures etc etc. I don’t want to have to click through different forums or even sites to talk about this stuff.

The diversity of stuff both cycling and non- is what makes this forum so good. I spend all day on here, I hardly ever go to other forums!

wwaswas

Go and see how many of the replies tell you how fast people have gone on a road bike…

you could use the ‘report post’ button to get them removed by the mods for being off topic?

joao3v16
    Free Member

A bit of research would have clearly told you that the roadies on here are a very defensive lot

Why? Are they that insecure about their preferred choice of cycling? 😀

DezB
    Free Member

SSHHH!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

FWIW and IMO, there are a few reasons for the roadie talk:

1. All cycling is fun and I would guess the majority of MTB owners also own some kind of road bike. The exclusive bit is to a large extent a myth that is sustained merely for the humour/banter value
    2. The crap weather and condition of trails has led to many of us getting the road bikes out again
    3. There really is not that much MTB stuff to talk about if we are being honest
    4. Commited roadies (and especially triathletes like me 😉 ) are easy targets for banter

(endlong, dare I sat* it, while some of your observations are true, you may be missing the hidden element of satire and banter that is behind much of the roadie stuff)

P.s. *I don’t think autocorrect helps with the grammar and spelling…sat it?????. Took 4 goes to type endlong and Grum tends to be changed to glum etc which could easily cause (mild) offence!!!

Davesport

Where’s Yodagoat & Stanfree ? They’re both batting for the other team 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

I then received a torrent of abuse

I think your understanding of the phrase “torrent of abuse” is very different from a lot of other people 😐

You’re maybe being a “little bit” over sensitive ?

edlong
    Free Member

you could use the ‘report post’ button to get them removed by the mods for being off topic?

There’s a bit of a difference between having a mild grumble about it when someone raises the issue in a thread and it strikes me as being a pertinent illustration, and being offended enough to “report post”!!!

I’m not suggesting that the mods should be removing posts about road cycling, and I’m happy that the mood of the hive is what it is – if it moves in a certain direction then so be it, if that means it no longer appeals to some people, then they can move on to another forum, no problem with that. However, I don’t see any problem either with discussing it openly since someone has started a thread to do that very thing. I have an opinion, that I would prefer the cycling talk on here to be more about mountain biking and less about road than it currently is, but that’s no more than my opinion, not sure why I would expect the mods to remove posts in reflection of it though?

wwaswas

I was being tongue in cheek, sorry for not being clearer.

There’s an ebb and flow to these things. There’s a surge in road posts when the off road riding is rubbish and again during the grand tours.

As you say, people will either accept it or move on.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘To much Roadie Talk.’ is closed to new replies.