Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • To Maxle or not to Maxle
  • wheelie

I am building up a Soul. I have a pair of Reba’s QR. Would I benefit from Reba Maxle bearing in mind I plan to run them at 100mm? Are they 15 or 20 mm? I am 10 1/2 stone, and a fairly careful rider.

wheelie

Bump

oreetmon
    Free Member

fwiw, im a fat **** and i noticed a HUGE difference when i first plugged a qr15 fork into my 456,,,,,,, not so with the full sus though.

id go with the maxle, qr9mm days are numbered.

cynic-al
    Free Member

From my experience, I wouldn’t bother, unless you are buying a new fork anyway, or want to spend money on bike kit but don’t care if there’s any real benefit.

I doubt anything will stop you running 9mm for years and years.

Northwind

You’ll not regret it if you do. You probably won’t regret it if you don’t either. Not worth changing other parts for really but if your wheels can do it then there’s not much reason not to.

(people point at the weight difference but tend to forget that it includes the axle, whereas QR forks don’t include a skewer)

timc
    Free Member

Agree with Cynic-al & Northwind…

I can notice at 140mm but not enough to spend money for the sake of it @ 100mm

steve_b77
    Free Member

If your wheel will convert you can always go for a middle ground and fit a 9mm QR

nicko74

steve_b77 beat me to it. No point changing the fork, but if the wheel has adaptors, get a 9mm thru-bolt from Superstar or the like.

tomaso
    Free Member

I would miss not having a maxle. But before I ever had one I didn’t need it. Once you have opened Pandora’s box etc… :mrgreen:

convert

Yep, same camp as others – buy wheels with hubs (like hope pro 2) that can convert at a later date and keep using what you currently have until it’s warn out then swap for a good reason. It’s not chalk and cheese difference and def not if you are light and you mince (sorry, are careful 😉 )

PJM1974
    Free Member

Probably not worth it on a 100mm bike, unless there is an absolute no brainer deal for bolt through forks and your current Rebas are ronnied beyond economic repair.

Better to sink the cash into wheels where you’ll feel the biggest difference.

cookeaa

TBH the axle type doesn’t have as much impact on the way a fork rides as some would have you believe, yeah you might notice the wheel is a touch more prone to flexing sideways but a poor wheel build would have a more pronounced effect…

As others have said opt for a Pro2 or similar hub and you can change to whatever axle type you like in the future…
    Why not stick to the QR Reba for now and see how you get on with it…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘To Maxle or not to Maxle’ is closed to new replies.