• This topic has 28 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • To Kill a Mocking Bird – I've never read it…
  • the-muffin-man

…so should I!?

cozz
    Free Member

weird

I was saying the same other day, and my mother in law gave me a copy to read, prob get through it when on holiday (about the only time I have to read)

cynic-al
    Free Member

I remember enjoying it, so, yes.

Cletus

I only read it this year and really enjoyed it (and the stage production that is currently making it’s way around the country).

So yes you should!

Cougar

I had to read it for my English Literature GCSE. Not something I’d ever have chosen to read, but I remember thinking it was surprisingly good at the time.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Never read it, but will when I get time…

The film is a real cracker though!

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

ive literally taken delivery of a copy today!

StirlingCrispin

I read it years ago when I figured I should try and read the “classics”.

Got to the end and wanted to start it again. So, yes.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Its great, so: yes.

chipps

I also had it for my English O-level and didn’t really enjoy it. But then I’m not known for my reading taste…

molgrips
    Free Member

codybrennan
    Free Member

chipps – I work here
    I also had it for my English O-level and didn’t really enjoy it. But then I’m not known for my reading taste…

…or writing…..

😉

thecrookofdevon

One of my favourite books. Just reading it again to my kids who are loving it.
    Works on so many different levels. Read it!

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

yes read it at school and thought it was good which considering I was reading 2000ad at the same time is as a ringing endorsement as you can get 😀

Scapegoat

Definitely.

brassneck

Yes.

garage-dweller

Wasted on non literary teenagers. I would have hated it at gcse age.

It is however a brilliant book to someone with more patience and a wider knowledge of the world

gordimhor

You’ve never read TKAM. ..get me my pitchfork 🙂

Ps yes as posted by many above it’s a great book

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve read it. long time ago, can’t remember what its about. Can someone remind me?
    Actually, it can’t be that good, if I can’t remember it – other classics linger in the memory forever (The Old Man and the Sea; Catch 22; lord of the Flies , etc)

the-muffin-man

You’ve never read TKAM. ..get me my pitchfork

Nope – I did CSE English (in 1983) and we didn’t do such high-falutin literature. They were happy if you just turned up to a lesson!

I’ll add it to my list of books to read.

Cougar

ive literally taken delivery of a copy today!

I see what you did there.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yes, yes you should.

unovolo
    Free Member

Read it during English literature over 26years ago, cannot even remember what it’s about so obviously not a great read by my standards, now Brighton Rock on the other hand…

BobaFatt
    Free Member

yes, it’s very good (my literary genius on show for everyone there) I just read it for the first time a few weeks ago after a conversation with a mate who also had never read it.

I’ve moved on now to Catch 22 because I’ve never read that either – picking stuff out of a Reddit list

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I read it a few years back, at the age of 35 – and to be honest, I couldn’t quite see what the fuss was about. It’s nicely written, sure, but seemed instantly forgettable. In fact, I had pretty much forgotten all that had happened in it until the recent publicity.

And I’m a lover of Classic books.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Read it for GCSE, I remember enjoying the book but not so keen on all the analysis that went with it.

ourmaninthenorth

Never read it. For someone who loves books and reading, I’m very thinly* read. A problem I blame on a career as a lawyer – talk about a way to kill enthusiasm for reading for pleasure.

I have, however, just ordered it and Go Set a Watchman.

*thanks to Eddie Izzard.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’ve read anything that was on other people’s GCSE syllabus but wasn’t on mine.

I read a lot, but (a) mostly non-fiction and (b) almost nothing that everyone agreed was amazing 20 years ago. I understand that this will mean I am missing out, but I haven’t got time to catch up on all the culture that happened before I was born. I’ve not seen The Godfather, either.

🙂

DezB
    Free Member

can’t remember what its about. Can someone remind me?

So memorable for everyone then!?

I’ve not seen The Godfather
    That’s just silly.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘To Kill a Mocking Bird – I've never read it…’ is closed to new replies.