Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • to go tubeless or not..
  • MartynS

Do I replace my mavic 719 on pro2 hubs with the same or…
    whats an equivelant tubeless rim at about the same price as the 719?

I’ve an idea.. but I’m after opinions and experiance!

ta all

br
    Free Member

You could just use 819’s, easy way into tubeless or go Crests’ and both save weight and have a wider rim.

nbt

I tried it, but I dented my crest and it no longer holds air. Of course you;re a better rider than me so you won’t hammer your rims into rocks with as much vigour, or will at least remember to check tyre pressures more regularly…

thepurist

or don’t buy Crests (an XC rim) if you’re planning on ramming them into rocks (with vigour 😉 ), but buy Arch/Flow instead….

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Love my flows…. pulled out 4 x thorns discovered on tyre interior on switching 2 weeks ago….watched mates change multiple flats in recent rides. Lower pressures means noticeably better ride and grip for me. Maxxis Lust tyres are floor pump only no fuss ons. Only downside is you still have to wait for your tubed mates to fix their punctures!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hi Martyn,
    I’ve been running flow rims around the peaks for a couple of years now and they’ve been great. Love the wider more stable platform with any tyre as well.

Scapegoat

Arch EX? Wider and stronger than Crests but lighter than Flows. I love mine.

continuity
    Free Member

Why not just gorilla tape your 719’s?

Or if you don’t have a very good bead hook on the rim (like, say, a wtb laserdisc or flow), use the bmx inner tube method.

MartynS

Why not just gorilla tape your 719’s?

’cause they were nicked!!! Insurance is offering something bizzare so weighing up options..

Garry_Lager

819 / UST is v reliable, robust rim and tyre combination. Absolutely nae bother setting up, used them for years. Puncture once in a blue moon.

Currently using Stans arch / crests and they’re great too. Lighter rim and more choice across the range. Seem equally reliable but I’ve only had them a year.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

I’m using 819s on my hard tail and FS. As above, ultra reliable and no faff. None of that yellow tape nonsense.

I previously used Stans Crest but really prefer the 819s now

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d love to use a “proper” mavic ust rim but they just don’t make anything that balances width and weight in quite the same way as the Stan’s rims do.

jonba
    Free Member

Crest or Flow if you are buying off the peg or arch if you are getting a custom build (not available as a hope hoop). 819s are pretty heavy.

FWIW I run crests and 719s on different bikes. Both tubeless using stans’s strips – both fine after a couple of years. Crests are on a 5″ full suss so get some hard use, 719s are on my singlespeed.

Crest was marginally easier to inflate non tubeless tyres on. I had to use a CO2 canister on the 719s to get them to seat.

scruff
    Free Member

819s are faff free to go tubeless, they are heavier and a bit narrow. However they are made from a much better metal and suffer less denting or buckling compared even to my latest Flows.

soobalias
    Free Member

819’s echo the sentiments above, if you are a racer the weight might bother you, if you are a rider the weight difference is negligible IMO.

Stans might save you a few grams but my experience of them (crests) is much less favourable than the Mavics I own(819 & 823)

mintimperial

Can’t really help with specific rim choice much, but I have walloped my Crests into plenty of rocks over the past two years on my hardtail and they’re holding up brilliantly. I also run tubeless on some burlier DT wheels and some Bontragers, and they’re grand too. Compared with running tubes I vastly prefer it. Yes, you do still have punctures occasionally, but far fewer: I’ve had three in two years and they’d all have taken out a tubed tyre too, big nasty sidewall slashes and similar. The tyres feel better somehow too, once you get the pressure sorted. After you’ve set up a few tubeless tyres you get used to it, and it’s really not all that much faff, if you’re using the right kit. In fact I fitted some new Schwalbes a few weeks ago that actually go up easier than tubed tyres, no really it’s true they did honest…

continuity
    Free Member

’cause they were nicked!!! Insurance is offering something bizzare so weighing up options..

Crest if you just ride the south downs
    Arch EX for trailcentres
    Flows if you plan to go to the alps

Is pretty much the deal

Northwind

819 is reliable, but also heavy like anvil…

TBH comparing them with Crests is ridiculous- Stans don’t make any rims as heavy as the 819, so why compare with one of their lighter ones? Arch Ex is the closest equivalent but even the Flow Ex is lighter. (*)

It’s not that mavic can’t make a rim to compete, they just don’t sell them individually, they’d rather you buy a wheel so they’ve just chosen not to be in the game at all.

(*- remember that Mavic’s claimed weight on the website is a bit of a fib as it doesn’t include the ferrules)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘to go tubeless or not..’ is closed to new replies.