Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • to go clipless pedals or not on road bike
  • ben10
    Free Member

So to go clipless or not. Iv been riding mountain bikes for 30 years but allwaysroad flats im currently building a retro road bike and need to sort out the pedals. My concern is that I broke my leg in five places some years ago and well its a mess my knee and foot or off line so my foot dosnt sit straight on my pedals so don’t know if clipless will even work with me anyone able to help befor I start spending money on stuff I don’t need

bigG
    Free Member

I’d say do it, but either go with Shimano SPD SL pedals and the yellow cleats (they have more float than the white ones) or use speedplay as they have loads and loads of float and are generally loved by road cyclists with bad knees (the cleats do wear out awfully fast if you walk around in them though so buy some of the rubber covers to put on, not that you’ll be doing much walking in them I hope).

mtbel
    Free Member

depends on how much you’re going to use it, how long/fast/hard rides are likely to be, where and maybe also who with.

but similarly to above, you might be well better off on mtb style shoes and touring spd pedals such as A520/530s (both nice n cheap)

nickc

whatever’s comfiest

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I have a similar foot issue and use flats with no problems. I don’t seem to be noticeably slower than clipped in friends.

I did try SPD-SL’s for a while, eventually even paying for a bike-fit, but they ended up making things worse so i took them off.

I still have a pair of these http://www.bikefit.com/p-25-1-pair-20-mm-pedal-spacers.aspx which i used for a while (but didn’t help).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘to go clipless pedals or not on road bike’ is closed to new replies.