Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • To face or not to face
  • higgo
    Free Member

BB facing is bike shop con #408.

clause 408a allows them to add straight profit to any frame they sell you.
    clause 408b means they can blame anything from poor HT2 life through to the typhoon in Taiwan on you not having had your BB faced.

clubber
    Free Member

Shimano don't make frames or facing tools do they?

No and they also don't say anywhere in the HT2 instructions that you have to face the BB shell.

Anyways, i would personally get it done for the sake of a tenner !!

I do frame blessings – they only cost a tenner (over the internet – in person they cost more). How many of your frames would you like blessed? 😉

Mike-E

Two of my bikes have HT11 bottom brackets fitted. One frame has been 'faced' the other hasn't. Guess what? One's as sweet as the other in performance. So toss a coin.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Although sfb does have a point that the cup *could* twist here but only if the difference is severe and if it is overtightened

it's not my point, it was made to me in justification of facing, and I am sceptical about it to some degree (pun). Obviously, as the amount of thread engagement increases, the scope for alignment adjustment declines…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Blimey – he hasn't replied and said what frame it is yet!

Example. My Kinesis XC2 (new ones come without paint on the face). I asked Dom @ Kinesis when buying wether it needed facing. He said just scrape the paint off with the flat edge of a stanly knif blade as the BB was faced but then painted. New XC2 come fresh faced. Most new bike fames (well good ones) I am sure are already faced as most of the will have a model with an ext cup system?

He just needs to ask the manufact. if it needs facing – easy – no arguments ….. Chill dudes!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and as for Sheldon, that entry doesn't sound like his authentic voice…

higgo
    Free Member

Without being disrespectful… I wouldn't trust anyone who can hear Sheldon's voice these days, authentic or not.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I wouldn't trust anyone who can hear Sheldon's voice these days, authentic or not.

when the spirit moves…

and what of recordings ? But I meant his down to earth way of expressing himself – this sounds more like a lifted quotation from elsewhere

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘To face or not to face’ is closed to new replies.