• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • To cut or not to cut?
  • ssbnreso
    Free Member

So do I cut my steerer or just leave it with the spacers on top?

Just thinking if I upgraded forks or later sell bike would it make much difference?
    Are there any disadvantages of not cutting steerer?

scotroutes

Hitting that with your man sack might be a bit interesting.

Why not compromise and cut a bit of it off? Your stem is already well above the head tube, so leave room for another spacer and chop there.

trail_rat
    Free Member

errr… hitting your stem with your man sack wont be much fun either …..

id try riding for a couple of months before you cut anything at the very least.

maxtorque

I just chopped mine! My OCD couldn’t live with that extra “pointless bit” sticking up above the stem…….. 😉

edward2000
    Free Member

Cut it immediately

scotroutes

No point making the potential target area larger than necessary though!

ssbnreso
    Free Member

If i do cut, what’s the best way to deal with star nut to get it further down the steerer?

breadcrumb

If you’re a serial bike parts seller I wouldn’t cut it too short.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Is your new position a big change from what you are used to? If no, cut sooner. If yes. cut later.

What size is your frame and headtube length, obviously the larger the frame the more selling options you have?i
    If you have an XS small frame are you happy with the fork or thinking about swapping it already?

Otherwise throw all logic out of nearest window, just drive the star nut down and cut.

mu3266
    Free Member

Think of the weight saving!!

ssbnreso
    Free Member

It’s a large frame and the steerer is approx 210mm.
    Might just cut but leave 1 spacer on top.
    Out this weekend for a couple of rides so will decide after that.
    Cheers for the advice!

rickon
    Free Member

Pop the headset top cap bolt into the star nut, and use a hammer to drift it down.

Then cut to size. Use an old stem as a guide.

cloudnine
    Free Member

If you want any help I’ll pop round zip that off for you

Northwind

If you’re worried about stabbing your tackle with it, I recommend cutting your balls off to avoid hurting the bike’s resale value.

Think personally I might cut it down to 200mm as that’s my psychological barrier but it’ll still be long.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Cut it down but always leave one 5mm spacer on top. It gives a little possibility for adjustments and engineering wise I feel happier with the whole stem clamping onto something.

vincienup
    Free Member

ssbnreso – Member
    If i do cut, what’s the best way to deal with star nut to get it further down the steerer?
    POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

You don’t. You remove and dispose of the old starnut and fit a new one. The correct tool is preferred, but most use a big screwdriver and a mallet. 🙂 Borrowing a starnut setter for installation is a good move though.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

You don’t. You remove and dispose of the old starnut and fit a new one.

Why on earth would you do that? You stick a long bolt into the threaded hole and belt it further down into the steerer with a hammer.

Yak

Ride it sufficiently to ensure the position is right – a few weeks should do it.

Then cut, but leave enough so a 5mm spacer sits on top of the stem. This gives you some tolerance for the cut and keeps the stem clamping over the full height. Bash the star nut down first if needed. Stick an old bolt in it and hit it down.

Doing this is like a final finishing flourish on a bike to say it’s yours, perfectly fitted, not just a pile of bits that you are planning to sell on at some point.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘To cut or not to cut?’ is closed to new replies.