Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • To cleat/SPD or not to cleat/SPD
  • willard

Ok, so I have the new bike. It's awesome, and I like the DMR flatties that I have on it for mucking about with. BUT… I'm using for my commute as well as mucking about of an evening, and my mind keeps turning to SPDs.

Is it worth making the change to disco slippers and cleats just for the extra efficiency that they provide on tarmac and cyclepath, or should I just stop whining and stay with the skate shoe/flattie combo?

Answers on an ePostcard…

IainGillam
    Free Member

Try them out and see if you like them, personally I tried them out and liked them didn't find them difficult to get used to at all there is a couple of situations that I would prefer to have flats for, always used flats when I used to race downhill, but for most xc applications I much prefer SPD's I even commute in them dispute the fact it probably takes longer because I have to change my shoes when I get there.

Iain

glenp
    Free Member

If your new bike is "awesome" and cycling shoes are "disco slippers" you probably won't like spds.

grim168
    Free Member

Im thinking of going t'other way. Got spd's and platform spd pedals at moment. But found them hard work at gisburn last week so I'm thinking of flatties and sticky shoes. The trouble is at 41 I don't want to look a dick in teenage trainer type shoes. oh and I'm a noob but had years of spd on road bikes.

z1ppy

I love em, took to them like a fish to water, didn't have a comedy fall until about 3 month in. To me it not about the efficency, more about being securly attached to the bike – never been an issue when I crash either, always come unclipped without thinking or doing anything.
    Try em you might like it

pealy
    Free Member

.. I like the SPD's you can still pedal without being clipped in properly. I have Shimano PD-M545's a some Candy C's which both have a bit of a platform to get you back going when you come off on an uphill stretch.

willard

Glen, my new bike is "awesome" because it is still very, very new to me and I am still in that lovely honeymoon period where it can do no wrong.

I stand by my "disco slipper" statement though… Tell me, would you say that the below is not a little too… Shiny?

I was actually looking at something rather more subtle. Rather like a skate shoe (661 or similar) or a more normal shoe.

BigJohn

I've just gone the other way. 40+ years of being firmly attached and I've just gone to DMR V8s and Shimano MP90s.

First opinions – no real drawbacks.

nockmeister
    Free Member

I'm going from spd's to some Shimano DX caged spd's and their flat soled spd MP66's in black, not so teenager looking!! er and I'm older than 41!

glenp
    Free Member

Sorry willard, only a tease.

Lots of choice for casual spd shoes. I've got my everyday Shimanos on right now, and they don't look out of place just walking around the office. For proper cycling I do have Sidis though – stiff and efficient.

I personally think spds are so good that I would not want to be without them.

willard

Not a problem…

Having something a little less… special was my intention. It will stop me having to leave a pair of shoes at work, my skate shoes either at home or in the car, and then having to find another pair of shoes to wear at home when I walk the dogs.

Luckily, work has carpet, so I might not make too much clacking.

D0NK

Def give them a go – proper go too not just 1 or 2 rides, my mate rode flats for years didn't fancy being clipped in but when he finally gave them a try he was converted. Learn to do stuff on flats but ride on SPDs IMO. I'd still get some normal shoes to leave at work tho, wouldn't fancy wearing spd shoes all day.

spooky_b329

Give them a go, but I would opt for Time Atac. Tried Shimano ones years back and did't get on with them.

If I stop at the top of a technical section now, my biggest concern is usually to get properly clipped in before committing. I know lots of people want to get unclipped before trying something difficult, but I can't see how people can ride down stuff unclipped on slippy clipless pedals!

The only time I wish for flats is when I want to muck around on some silly north shore, as that extra half second to unclip could be the difference between landing on your feet, or landing on your head!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘To cleat/SPD or not to cleat/SPD’ is closed to new replies.