Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • To build or not to build
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

Hi,

I have been back mtbing for the last two years on a cheap specialized hardtail. I reckon xc type hardtail is my style, tough enough but light enough for longer rides. My work is bringing the cycle to work scheme and I love the look of the Boardman pro.

Or….do I build up an on one or something similar. My mechanical knowledge is low but I thought it might be fun way to learn the bike. If I look at the classifieds and ebay might be cheaper eh?

Thanks in advance

mtb_rob
    Free Member

to build.

learning process is great fun and once built means you know your bike, have the bits you want and tend to look after it better because you understand it.

hammy7272
    Free Member

cheers Rob, yeah, I am leaning towards that. Also I can buy bits each month and make sure they are correct and the best.

Thanks again.

All thoughts are greatly appreciated.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Plus C2W isn’t anywhere near as good as it used to be.

binners

I remember building my first mountain bike up. I did it in the same way you mentioned, bit by bit, buying parts as I could afford them, so that way its set up exactly as you want it, right from the off.

The learning experience is great. Over the course of building quite a few bikes now, I’ve now learnt to lace my own wheels and everything.

I wouldn’t dream of buying a bike off the peg now. I’d feel robbed of the satisfaction of the build. Good luck with it. Take your time and enjoy 😀

Gary_C

+1 for building your own bike up.

There’s great satisfaction to be had from turning boxes of bike parts into *your* bike.

Go for it.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

to build.

+1

But be warned, it gets addictive. I started out with a single speed MTB as a winter project and I’ve ended up building three bikes over the last year and a half. Once you’ve built one you start thinking about how good it would be to build a CX bike, or maybe another 29er but with a different setup…

My mechanical knowledge/skill is pretty low but once you start building bikes you get to see just how beautifully simple they are.

Rosss
    Free Member

Build

I’ve just finished mine and on £10 paper round money it was no easy task but you get your spec exactly how you want it and you avoid forking out for sale a new stem to adjust the reach on a new bike. It’s so adictive though and i’m already planning my new project. When I started I knew next to nothing but it’s really helped me appriciate my bike and learn to look after it a lot more.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Cheers guys, looks like a pattern is emerging here. Frame first then go from there?

Think it will be mostly second hand stuff. What parts would you buy new?

ourmaninthenorth

wouldn’t dream of buying a bike off the peg now. I’d feel robbed of the satisfaction of the build.

I’ve just bought a s/h cross bike off a mate for an extraordinarily good price. And still I feel cheated by not building it myself.

TBH, I assume any bike I own will be built by me, rather than off the peg. It’s this place. It’s turned me (no, not like *that*).

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Figure out what sort of bike you want to end up with and then sort out the appropriate frame. If you can get a second hand one all the better. I tend to buy parts as I come across good deals and it isn’t always necessary to buy second hand to get a good price, you just need to shop around. All depends on how quickly you want to get the bike built up.

On-one have some cracking deals on at the moment so it might be worth taking a look there for stuff like wheels and tyres as a starting point.

richmars

Sorry about this but it’s Friday afternoon and I’m just about to go home, but

All due respect to the OP for asking the question, but am I alone in being a bit depressed that ‘building your own bike’ is presented as something like build a space shuttle?
    It’s a bike, one of the simplest forms of transport invented. What’s wrong with the country that so many people struggle with simple mechanical tasks?

Sorry.

binners

I’d say a new drive-chain, mechs etc are not worth doing second hand. Its false economy. Keep your eyes on Merlin/CRC/On One for deals tere.

Everything else is fair game second hand really. Look out for decent solid frames that are tatty, so going cheap. Strip them back to the metal and get them powder-coated and you’ve got summit that looks brand new. A good starting point for a build. I’ve done that a couple of times

EDIT – Rich I agree with you. I have the mechanical aptitude of a gibbon, and I can do it without much difficulty

hammy7272
    Free Member

Fair enough, thanks for the input anyhow. Ta

Olly
    Free Member

BUILD! no DOUBT!

On one 456 summer season, 130mm fork, for a more fun setup
    or just an inbred.

(cant beat on ones for value IMO)

hammy7272
    Free Member

Yeah those 456 look great, think I need to buy one and then stare at it for a while.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yeah build it, they’re not actually that hard to put together if you have a modicum of technical ability, hands that do what your brain tells them and some common sense.

But remember, tyre logos & valves MUST be aligned at all times 💡

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i would’nt consider buying a complete, you can build a far better higher spec bike if you have the patience to hunt about for parts and track down deals. and at the end of the day its just a bike, it ain’t rocket science.

But remember, tyre logos & valves MUST be aligned at all times

thats rubbish advice. its far more important to make sure there are no weeds on your patio when you post your ‘my new bike’ pic.

takisawa2

And now we’ve the weeds & tyre logo aspect covered, I’m going to shamefully plug the Inbred frame I have to sell. £75 if your intrested.

And build your own is the way to go. Including the wheels.

steve_b77
    Free Member

But remember, tyre logos & valves MUST be aligned at all times
    thats rubbish advice. its far more important to make sure there are no weeds on your patio when you post your ‘my new bike’ pic

You’ve forgotten about ensuring your fence is treated sufficiently, worktops are clear of clutter with matching / coordinating kitchen essentials and there are no pets/small children in the picture unless they’re doing something comical

hammy7272
    Free Member

Thanks again, I can see this thread developing; with pressure on me! Hey no bother about the plug. But I think one is for sure the frame will be new.

Ta

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘To build or not to build’ is closed to new replies.