Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • T’missus, training and pedals advice please
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

T’missus had ridden a bike since she was a kid and now wants to get a bit better offroad ( she is quite content pootling around GT Blue) so I have booked her a training day.

The issue is pedals – her bike has mainly been used as a commuter and so she could wear her work shoes it had toeclips (remember them?) Obviously no good for offroad tho. She is used to spds on the back of the tandem – but obviously clipping in and out is not critical as she remains clipped in when we stop.

I put the spds on her bike and she has had a couple of spins on it – she was having trouble clipping in and out with confidence.

She ain’t ridden without being fastened to the bike for decades.

Should she go for proper flats for the training? Bearing in mind that would be something new to learn as well? If so shinpads would be a must I guess? Or persevere with the spds? I don’t see her riding on flats long term

Ta
    TJ ( who don’t know jackshit about this one 🙂 )

Sorry for the ramble but I really am unsure what to do for the best

nina
    Free Member

get some flats – you know it makes sense old timer

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I’ve got an old pair of TIME Aliums kicking around which you’re welcome to borrow for a wee trial. They’re in good nick and I’m pretty sure I could dig out some worn-in cleats too. TIME pedals are a bit easier to get in and out of, particularly when the cleats have a bit of wear (still pretty secure though). I’m in Fife so getting them to you would be no probs.

email in profile if you’re interested.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d simply get her to lean against a wall for 20 minutes and practice clipping in and out till it gets into the muscle memory bank. I know there are good arguments for using flats, but that’s what I’d do anyway.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cheers stuartie but that is adding another complication as we have spds on the tandem so she would need to be swapping cleats all the time – to convert all bikes to times would be expensive.

nina
    Free Member

what am i? chopped liver? 🙁

stuartie_c
    Free Member

No worries.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am listening to you Ninapoos – dinnae worry. You gonna come out to play tomorrow?

I think flats might be the way to go but she don’t want to wear shinpads. Its all I can do to get her to wear a helmet. she sulks when she has to put one on so gawd knows what shinpads will do to her.

nina
    Free Member

the lizard skins soft shin pads are pretty comfy, cheap and not that speshul looking – try them and some v8’s?

i may be on my way to aviemore this evening to play but we need to ride soon. 100miles a week on the road bike has made me a changed man

*flexes calves*

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

My wife had lessons just recently at Laggan and she changed to flats (as suggested by the instructor prior to attending) from M424 SPDs and has gained so much more confidence and skill by doing so. She hired a set of shins but has since bought 661 Veggies.
    She had ridden for 5 years or so clipped in and did not like the thought of going to flats but if asked she would not go back.
    They might not be of any use on the tandem but they do have their place.

Cheers

Paul.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘T’missus, training and pedals advice please’ is closed to new replies.