Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • TMARS Dropper post….can I shorten it?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

Hi all.

Just as the title really. I’ve got one of these cheap but functional units, now fitting it to my new bike. But on the new bike, it sits a bit high- the cable release unit is about 1.5″ above the top of the seat tube.

Can I shorten the actual post? (I have a hacksaw/angle grinder.)

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Is the bottom of the post hitting a stop?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Seems to be frosty.

warpcow
    Free Member

Probably, but it depends how much effort you might want to put into it. The bottom-cap also acts as preload for the spring so you’d need to check how far the thread goes up inside the outer-tube (you could probably cut threads if not far enough) and possibly cut the spring shorter too. I can’t see the inner-tube bottoming out if you only shorten it by an inch of so, but that would certainly be worth checking before cutting anything.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Ah yes, I see- there’s a cap at the bottom. Thanks!

tomd
    Free Member

No, it will surely fail as the engineering team at TMars will have optimised the whole post using FEA and extensive destructive testing.

On a more serious note, on the 2014 one I had I think the inside of the post was threaded so if you cut it it might be hard to take it apart. Oh and the one I had was definitely not cheap but functional, it was just cheap (review)!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

On mine you could definitely remove a bit.

If you take the post out and look at the bottom there is a silver screw in cap thing screw it in further than make sure the post can still function. I imagine you can then remove the bottom few mm that are now exposed. If you wanted to remove more I imagine you would need to get the thread inside the outer tube sorted so that the silver cap would go in further.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Cheers all, I could in theory rethread the lower part of the outer tube if I had to, will have a look at the cap and see how much I have to play with etc.

tomd
    Free Member

On mine if you over did the pre-load the post still worked but the lowest setting didn’t engage very well. So you could in theory drill an extra hole say 1″ above the lowest and you could trim the post more. You’d lose 1″ of travel, depends whether that’s ok for you. Or shorten the spring I guess, that could work.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Just had a quick measure, and the threaded end-cap is about 12mm long; the threaded section of the outer tube is about 33mm. So, I should be able to get about 20mm off or thereabouts, and I’ll take an inch off the spring when I’m at it.

thanks!

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I would hold off on cutting the spring, I had to screw the cap up quite a long way on mine to keep it working at the top hole. At least see if works first before you cut it.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Will do V8.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘TMARS Dropper post….can I shorten it?’ is closed to new replies.