Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • TMA: Japan
  • tomcanbefound
    Free Member

So im flying to Japan tommorow with the mrs for 12 days.

Our itenerary is Tokyo -> Kyoto -> Naoshima -> Osaka -> Tokyo.

Any reccomendations? Also potentially looking for somewhere nice to stay outside kyoto osaka for valentines.

My best friend is living in Tokyo and my brother is in osaka so not gonna be short on adivce there but all reccomendations welcome!

????!

konagirl
    Free Member

Kyoto: Get up early to see the temples when they are quieter, although because it is winter it should be reasonably quiet anyway. Realise you won’t see all of the temples, but also that each of the sites are very different so have a bit of a read up before you go, to prioritise. Don’t feel like you have to pay to get in everywhere, but do pay to go into a few of the temples and shrines to get a real feel for the place. I particularly liked the complex with Daitokuji in it and Kurodani. Although the geisha districts are now largely touristy, they are still nice to walk around in the evening and if you head out early (say 4-5pm) you will probably see geisha or at least geiko.

I think they are still renovating Himeji which is a shame.

For a romantic stay, ask your brother if there are any hot springs in the Osaka-Kyoto area. We went further north (where the monkeys sit in the natural hot springs near Nagano) and really enjoyed the natural spring baths (nice and romantic if you can find a spa hotel where you can book a private bath).

And if you are Tokyo with friends, you have to do karaoke.

Edit: And try to take the Shinkansen during daylight when you go to/from Tokyo to see Mt Fuji.

poonprice
    Free Member

Make sure you have one of these…. yummy

Kirin Frozen Foam Beer

Also, goto Tokyo fish market very early and have some of the freshest sashimi in the world. Although raw fish at 6am can be challenging 🙂

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Thanks for the input!

Yeah think were gonna hit the fish market first thing in tokyo as we land p early.

We were looking into hot springs also but finding a nice one with a mixed pool that isnt either prohibitively expensive or a tacky indoor job is proving tricky…

Just realized i have an extra 23kg bag allowance, packing a duffle bag into the suitcase to ram full of yamazake, grape sweets and toys! 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘TMA: Japan’ is closed to new replies.