Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • TJ to the Forum – MIPS Helmets
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

Had an email from Wiggle today, with the following attached. It’s the first time I’ve heard of MIPS, any thoughts on this? Specifically, does this rule out the argument that some on here used to make that helmets could worsen an injury?

http://guides.wiggle.co.uk/guide-mips-multi-directional-impact-protection-system?utm_source=1985gb-04-mon&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=feb&utm_content=wiggle-greatest-cycle1-mips-technology_03

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You trying to blow his cover?..

sweepy
    Free Member

It seems to reinforce that argument rather than rule it out, unless you buy a new helmet with the technology.
    It also makes the point that this new technology is mimicking the action of skull/CSF, or what we all naturally have anyway.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ll get in here early. I don’t care what anyone else says, I’ve come home from bike rides with my head in one piece because I wore a helmet. I will stubbornly stick my fingers in my ears and sing loudly if anyone tries to suggest the helmet did not have a positive impact (see what I did there) on limiting the seriousness of my injuries.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I bought a Giro Synthe late last year, I wondered what the MIPS was.
    It’s quite comfy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

He is not mrs fry, we all know who that is

Shred
    Free Member

The theory is good. Rotational brain injuries are a major problem. The problem with most older helmets are they had quite pointy back ends, which can grab on the floor and twist your head.
    http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1039.html (No idea about the site, just a good explanation of the point).

MIPS is designed to reduce the likelihood of a rotational injury to the brain, which can only be a good thing.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

as technology progresses we get better kit. I know from my own empirical studies (OHB, slides, crash, falls, faff falls etc) that I’m better off with than without 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘TJ to the Forum – MIPS Helmets’ is closed to new replies.