Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • TJ look away now!! Any one using a leatt brace for Dh/4X stuff?
  • Wookster

Any one using these? I have looked into them on the web etc but not met any one who uses them. Intrested if they cause any issues with head movement when rideing etc. seems that these are a good move protection wise?

Use for Dh stuff and 4x racing really.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Not used one yet myself but I've seen plenty of people using them at races and practice days. I reckon in a few years they will be mainstream among the DH fraternity. I haven't seen any pictures of people using them for 4x though; It might be because it's not as applicable for 4X as you don't get many trees on 4X courses and it's hitting trees that is the most likely cause of whiplash injuries.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Very popular amongst the MX boys. They have the same frenzied arguments about neck braces as cyclists do about helmets. There are a lot more ex-MXers with broken necks to help stir up the debate. Not sure the same can be said for DH.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As one of the dangers / drawbacks with a FF helmet is an increased risk of a neck break then it might not be a bad idea.
    DH/ 4X you are going fast(ish??) and have a high risk of crashing so you want a high level of protection. From a hazard / risk assessment point of view it does not seem stupid.

I'd like to see some independent research on them tho

5thElefant
    Free Member

I'd like to see some independent research on them tho

You won't find any.

There are statistics for MX injuries (remarkably), I looked it up a few years ago when neck braces came out. Sorry, don't have the link. Pro-level MXers have about 1 in 100 year occurrence of serious neck injuries (the paper didn't give frequency of riding, but several hours a week would be a minimum). What's missing is what % a neck brace would reduce. Reduce is a relative term though because they transfer the force. A broken back might well be preferable to a broken neck of course.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yup.

My instinct is "why not" and I'd almost go as far as to say its a good idea if wearing a FF helmet.

Lots of research on neck breaks and sports helmets of various sorts but I know of non on the effects of braces.

Wookster

yeah thanks chaps am in the I dont think they can do any harm/ why not camp but will keep looking into it!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Remember they can only be worn with full face helmets- slightly limiting I suppose.

Wookster

😀 yes mate FF only!!

PJ266
    Free Member

A couple of friends of mine were out dirt jumping, one of em nose cased a landing and broke his neck, the other friend bought a neck brace on his way home from the hospital.

Its not a nice thing to happen to someone.

br
    Free Member

a fair few of the 4x guys at Chicksands are using them, and they aren't been slowed – so if they only increase your safety by an nenth, then a good idea

singlespeedstu

Are these not responsible for a fair few collarbone breakages amongst MXers.

Have a look at the Alpinstars brace. Supposed to be a lot better at spreading the load and not damaging you.

PJ266
    Free Member

Broken collarbone Vs broken neck…..

Take your pick.

singlespeedstu

Broken collarbone Vs broken neck…..

Broken collarbone Vs no broken bones?

There's arguments for everything.

There's also alternatives to one make of a product.

PJ266
    Free Member

I wasnt suggesting Leatts were the only make of neck brace 🙂

Id say a broken collarbone was the lesser of two evils.

steveh

If you wear normal body armour many people don't get on with wearing both the neck brace and the armour due to the sections of the brace that run down the front and back of the body.

Someone has just started making a body armour suit with cut out of the rear section of the brace but it doesn't have the full dianese style spine protection pieces.

I know a guy who wore one until he crashed and it hurt his shoulder, instantly got rid of it as he'd have walked away fine otherwise.

Difficult to say really, at the moment I don't expect them to become the norm on the race scene.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘TJ look away now!! Any one using a leatt brace for Dh/4X stuff?’ is closed to new replies.