Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Titus Motolite: Good, Bad or just Ugly?
  • tooslow
    Free Member

After a recent trip to some rocky Welsh trails I’ve started thinking about trading in my hardtail (On-One 456) for a full suspension frame.
    While there’s plenty of reviews and opinion for most the frames on my current short list there doesn’t seem to be much on the Titus Motolite.

So, any (ex)owners out there or anyone try and not buy?

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

Nice frames, very similar to this 🙂

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/news18052009.html currently with a great offer!

psychle
    Free Member

shameless… absolutely shameless 🙄

how do you get away with it guv’ner? 😆

nice bike though 8)

tooslow
    Free Member

No-one?

Spud

I went from a 456 to a Motolite last year and LOVE IT!!! It’s fantastic, no stupid light parts and it weighs around 27lb, well probably a little more now I’ve stuck Pikes on it but rides so well both climbing and descending. Go and have a go, you won’t be dissapointed.

househusband

I have a Motolite, as does a local riding buddy and a few others on STW; Jocarda1, Stuartie_C and someone whose moniker escapes me!

I bought mine (a 2007 model) last year from Fat Tread as they were selling off old stock; only paid £870 – no way I’d pay full list. If I was looking for one at the moment I’d be tempted by the Chumba XCL that si_brodiebikes is forever touting on STW. Very similar frames with very similar geometry but I suspect that the ML *might* be a bit stiffer as it has a brace between the seat stays – but this can limit rear tyre clearance.

mikey74
    Free Member

I had one and really liked it. I took it to Whistler last year and rode all the xc trails on it and it performed very very well.

Why did I get rid of it? A few reasons:

– I wanted something with a slacker head angle: I just found the 68.5-69 deg HA ( with Pike forks fully extended) a little too steep for really technical and tricky stuff. I bought a Banshee Rune with a 67 HA and the improved stability and surefootedness is amazing. I rode plenty of steep stuff on the Titus, but my personal preference is for a slacker HA – now, lol.
    – The suspension tended to bob: Whenever I put the power down, half the power was sucked up by the suspension. I had the shock PUSHed by TFT which improved things but it still bobbed a fair bit. The VPP style design of the Rune accelerates like a hardtail and climbs so much better than the Titus despite the slacker HA, more weight, and more travel.
    – The paint was pretty fragile, although you may be able to anodised versions now.

Other than those issues, it was/is a great bike.

Spud

I have to say I don’t notice any bob on the rear of mine. For techy descending 130-140mm is definately better. The anodising is also a tad more fragile than I’d like but then it’s designed and built in Arizona!

garlic
    Free Member

Tooslow, if you already riding a 456 and doing South Wales(plus hanging out with some people that are doing the sh*t on FS bikes) then you’re ready to make the leap to a bouncer. Either the Titus or the Chumba are top bikes.

mikey74
    Free Member

I have to say I don’t notice any bob on the rear of mine.

I have to admit that generally speaking, I didn’t either, until someone pointed it out while on a long tarmac/fireroad climb.

However, I did notice myself than whenever I set off on the bike, the initial pedal stroke caused the shock to compress, sucking up some of the energy. Maybe I should have used pro-pedal more, but I generally don’t believe in it, lol.

tooslow
    Free Member

Thanks guys.
    I’ve just seen that the bargain that I’d spotted on Jenson USA (~£890 inc. import duty) won’t ship to the UK 🙁
    But I think I’ll add the Chumba to my short list.

garlic
    Free Member

Sorry, forgot to add this:-

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Have a good old nose around before you choose.

mikey74
    Free Member

Oh, yeah, the guy above reminded me of the other reason I sold it: Poor mud clearance. I run 2.35 tyres and even with High Rollers (considered narrow for 2.35) there wasn’t much room left and I found that stones picked up by the rear wheel were slowly chipping away at the cross brace.

Spud

I’d agree with mikey74 on that, I run 2.35 High Rollers and you won’t get anything bigger in there, the chipping on the brace is noticeable now a year on. Still it’s a mountain bike, it’s gonna get scratched/ chipped etc. There are probably better options for UK riding if you’re out in all weathers in muddy conditions.

househusband

…and the bearings, especially those (two pairs, one either side) in the main pivot are a ‘mare to remove and replace/realign.

Andy

Really like mine. Agree about the tyre clearance though. Dont really know enough about 5″ travel bikes to compare it too others. Does have a steep head angle relatively though! I dont find it bobs too much.

mikey74
    Free Member

Wow you must be 18ft tall.

Andy

😆

Only 6’2″ but silly long legs. I really should try a Sultan.

james
    Free Member

“Dont really know enough about 5″ travel bikes to compare it too others”

An 06-07 Stumpjumper 120 will easily take 2.5″ High Rollers/2.25″ Advantages

Although 4-bar/FSR is supposed to be active all the time (I bought one on this line of thinking), you (I’m on this current line of thinking*) might be better with something that is active under braking, but stiffens up under pedalling, something with VPP or maestro. Like with the banshee mentioned above?

*the usual ‘what if I bought this’ type bike thinking that I assume most people also manage to occupy their minds from time to time

mikey74
    Free Member

Here’s a pic of me on my ML, doing a heli-drop in Whistler last year. It was this descent that partly convinced me to look for a frame with a slacker head angle. Was a blast though :mrgreen:

marsy8493
    Free Member

Picking my new Motolite up from Sshokwave in Ruddington on Friday. Having read the reviews on MTBR, and having looked at other frames and full build bikes, the Motolite kept coming back as the bike to have. Will let you know how it shapes up after the weekend.

marsy8493
    Free Member

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Had mine for 3 years and many hundreds of miles. Currently my perfect bike and I don’t see anything on the market I’d swap it for (unless it was a Titus FTM…)

Recently put Float RLC 140s on it with 15mm bolt-thru axle and it has made a great bike even better. Not worried about tyre clearance as I never run anything bigger than 2.2s

I’m never aware of any bob while climbing but I tend to spin rather than mash a big gear – climbing traction is very good.

metalheart
    Free Member

I had one.

I liked it but for some reason never felt 100% on it.

After a non specific (but titus related) accident I sold it on.

Sizing is a little weird and I really dont understand what is all that with the seat stay being so far up as if it was lower I’d have been a LOT happier. I demoed a medium but it just bearable at 100mm stem and saddle pushed as far back as poss so went large for proper t/t length. If I was being completely honest it was just too big (other than the t/t which was spot on…)

If the size fits however not a bad choice IMHO.

AB
    Free Member

Househusband – …If I was looking for one at the moment I’d be tempted by the Chumba XCL that si_brodiebikes is forever touting on STW

You noticed that as well? He’s always bloody recommending them whenever he gets the opportunity.

Spud

Come on metalheart, what was the titus-related accident?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

My wife has a motolite and, as she’s happily almost the same height as me, she’s let me have the occasional try out.

I suspect the ‘bobbing’ issue is weight related – it doesn’t really bob under her 9st, but bobs significantly under my lardy 15st, even with the shock air pressure adjusted. I wonder if it has something to do with the way the shock is levered by the linkage, as we observed the same problem when we both had monocoque Enduros. In comparison, my 4-bar 5 Spot doesn’t bob in the same way, and neither did the Fuel I used to own – both of them have a more indirect actuation of the shock, presumably with more ‘stiction’ (someone with a background in engineering may be able to explain that more effectively!)

When I’ve ridden the Motolite, I find it much more of a chore than the 5 Spot to pedal uphill, but they are very close performance-wise on the downhills. Our two bikes make a decent comparison, as they’re both running very similar kit – Revelations on the front, Louise brakes etc.

It would be

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

You noticed that as well? He’s always bloody recommending them whenever he gets the opportunity.

Sorry for the annoyance, just trying to get people to have a look at Chumba as most people are not aware of the brand and it could be a good alternative for some. I know it is a bit cheap, but i don’t have a big marketing budget and i try not to appear on EVERY bike related post 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

See the review of the Titus FTM (Full Tilt Moto) in the current mag. Seems to back up much of what’s said above – bobs, not slack enough, tight for tyres, good for crossing maps but not a ‘fun’ bike to ride.

Despite being a very different bike it has a lot in common with one of my bikes (Whyte PRST-4) in that regard – often the first bike out of the shed if I’m doing a long day in the saddle, not used much for evening rides blatting round local stuff for fun. If/when I replace the Whyte I may look at a motolite (I like the brand – got a Titus road bike) but only ‘cos I’ve got other bikes to compliment it. One of which, by coincidence, is an on*one 456.

metalheart
    Free Member

Come on metalheart, what was the titus-related accident?

embarrassingly it involved falling off said Titus in a car park.

and dislocating a finger in the process.

except it was in south west Utah. and I was supposed to going on a 5 day guided tour in the high mountains.

But that was purely me being an arse (and nothing to do with it being a titus)

Spud

I hoped you just strapped it up and carried on?

metalheart
    Free Member

unfortunately necessitated a trip to the ER followed by the OR as they couldn’t manually reseat it.

thank god I had insurance as it cost ~$8k!

heihei

I’ve got one (an exogrid) and love it, but to be clear, it fits into the 5″ XC category rather than anything more aggressive. As noted above, it’s got steepish angles, and tight tyre clearance, but it is plush over the bigger hits, and blindingly fast. I have mine set up with 140mm forks (Magura Thors) but wind them down for steep climbs, and 2.25″ tyres (Nobby Nics) and in that guise I’m happy riding 4′ drops and pretty steep tech stuff, but for more playful riding I prefer my 5 Spot.

One thing worth noting is the resale / second hand value is not great compared to Turner etc due to the lack of brand recognition here in the UK. No disrespect to Si, but I would say the same thing probably applies to Chumba. The other make that springs to mind with a very similar design is Nicolai, either the CC, or the rather tasty looking AC. As a complete bike, Lapierre also looks quite similar.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I bought a motolite frame second hand from the classifieds – cheers Darren. I’ve had the opportunity to put a few miles in it and agree with the above about the steepish angles. I’m running a 130mm Magura Menja which is shorter axle to crown than comparable forks I think – on steep stuff I have found it a little nervous. I think a 140mm fork to slacken it off a bit will be perfect.

Climbing the bike is very good – probably in part to the steepish angles, although it does seem to deliver massive traction. The bike bobs a bit more than I was expecting too although this can be sorted out by flicking the propedal on for longer drags uphill. It’s a stiff and light frame though, seems really well made, and on xc ish singletracj absolutely rails round corners. I’m happy with the frame, it does what I wanted it to do although will be on the look out for some Pikes or Revelations to stick on the front.

Spud

I was running Laurins (130mm) on mine and wasn’t happy with the climbing, descending was fine though. I’ve not long stuck some Pike U-turns on it and it’s a much better handling bike.

genesis
    Free Member

Had one in the workshop a few weeks ago, nice bike but sorry just can’t see where all the money goes.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Spud – has climbing deteriorated further after you put the Pikes on?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Titus Motolite: Good, Bad or just Ugly?’ is closed to new replies.