Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Titus Motolite
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

anyone use this model here on singletrack (in the uk)? i dont know much about them, apart from they are american and are based up in Aviemore-scotland… what id like to know is when something goes wrong with the bike ..where do you get parts from etc …. and servicing ?
    and how expensive are they ?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Mr Wiggles has one I think, very nice bikes, very well thought out 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member
    MrNutt
    Free Member

I think thats like his? you could try the search box over there? —->

BigR

The bike bookmarked is more akin to the racer x without the carbon stays and a cheaper shock. The racer X is a great 100mm travel frame which can be built as light and fast as you want/can afford. Fat Tread bikes had some small 2007 frames at almost half price.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I’ve had mine since March 2006 and it’s been a really great bike.

In that time I’ve ridden it a lot and I’ve given it as much of a pasting as my cowardly, skinny ass will allow.

It’s currently in having the rear suspension bearings replaced for the second time. £37 for the bearing kit. Fit them yourself for free if you have the tools/knowledge (I don’t).

Fat Tread will supply all you need parts-wise and they are super helpful. They are no longer the importer but they still sell and service Titus bikes. There are a few Titus dealers up and down the UK who would do the same, I’m sure – check the Titus website for local dealers.

You’ll not regret it.

OH – the only thing that I need to do regularly is replace the lower shock bushing (every 3 or 4 months) but it’s a very easy job and the part costs £4

druidh
    Free Member

JojoA1 of this forum has one – that’s about as good a recommendation as you can get.

daveb
    Free Member

Househusband has one, rates it highly. I think there is someone near Dumfries that sells them but not sure if they are an official dealership or not.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Aye,like stuart (the cheques in the post lol) says,Fat Tread are no longer the importer,its now Axel Imports based down south.we still have a few road and mtb frames going in the sale along with 2009 models arriving over the past week or so. theres a grey ano,blue ano and an ivory matt white racer-x hanging up going cheap off the top of my head with some ti deals too.

Dave,the Dumfries side of things is Fat tread.sale frames are split between here and there and are sent up to the shop if theres any interest.

Elaine, a bearing kit costs around £37 for the racer-x/motolite and a fox bush kit will cost around £20.

druidh
    Free Member

Any Motolite Ti’s in Medium in that sale??

heihei

I’ve got an exogrid Ti one I picked up off ebay a year or so ago. It’s a cracking bike for general trail duties. It feels very efficient for a 4-Bar compared to say a Turner, but the trade-off is it is not super-plush over the small stuff. Feels very controlled on the bigger hits though.

vd

I have never ridden one, but was sat chatting in the bus stop at Peaslake last week with 2 chaps riding his and his Motolites. 1 had a broken chainstay. I got talking to them. It turned out the other had a carbon rear end on his bike, bought from a mate after a warranty replacement for exactly the same thing. Suggest you look into this.

Andy

Yup – as Nuttster says i’ve got one – will post some pics and more tonight – its an XL though so not Dinky.

crazy-legs

A frined of mine in London bought one, she had really good service from the guys up in Aviemore and bought it mail order after they’d answered loads of her questions and posted lots of pics. Think they offered a no strings refund too if it didn’t fit. Fortunately she loves it! I’ll email her a link to this thread see if she’ll give you feedback on it. (think she bought either a S or XS by the way…)

elaineanne
    Free Member

so me being only just 5ft with an inside leg measurement of 28 inch, would i need a small or extra small ???

Spud

I run a small Motolite, bought mine from Shockwave in Nottingham. Only issue I’ve had is cable rub on the shock (cosmetic thankfully) and rocker linkage due to cable routing and the very small amount of room the cables have to run through. Cracking bike though, mine doesn’t get ridden as often as I’d like either. Is there a set time that the bearings etc should be replaced?

jojoA1
    Free Member

Druidh, are you being sarcastic?!

Hi Elaine, I have a small Motolite with the carbon back end. I’m 5’5″ with a 30″ inside leg. Which I feel fits perfectly, so it’s likely that an XS would be right for you. I’ll see if I can find a piccy to post.

Oh, and I can also highly rate the service from Fat Treads, particularly the delightful MartinXYZ 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve had a bounce on Jo’s Motolite 8)

druidh
    Free Member

jojoA1 – Member

Druidh, are you being sarcastic?!

Sheesh! What does a chap have to do these days to be taken seriously? I hear you were quite a racer in your day 😉

jojoA1
    Free Member

Resting

Playing

Depending n how you build it up you can make it light or more burly, I find it pedals uphill nicely with the pro pedal on, yet I’ve ridden it quite hard on descents in Spain and Italy and it dealt with that very well.

gregc
    Free Member

Hopefully these pictures of my recently built up Ltd Edition Motolite will appear for you .
    I’ve got it to 25lbs with Hope mini pro brakes and tubeless .
    I can thoroughly recommend Andy and Alex at Sschockwave bikes ,Ruddington , Notts for great service and coffee ,theyy also do Mtb holidays all over the world .

brownpants
    Free Member

Elaine.
    I absolutely love mine!!!. I sold my new Yeti 575 last week on here because the Titus was so much better feeling .
    I bought the frame off here, had it resprayed (with my forum name on it ;-)) and rode it yesterday with DT Swiss EXC 150mm TA forks as opposed to the Talas 130mm I’d taken off . It handled the change in head angle fine. Axle to crown is best at 520-525mm so DT’s at stated 527mm were just ok.
    The rear shock is ‘pushed’ and feels great . The only down side to the bike is the cable rub areas but I frankly don’t give a monkeys about that because they are easy to deal with . Fox bushes are £1 each so don’t believe the £20 bit and any bearing shop has the bearing sizes in stock unlike Yeti’s stupid sizes!
    You will NOT be sorry to buy a Titus . FatTreads were brilliant on the phone/e mail with me and sure they will help you out but USA not that hard to import bits if needed.
    Makes me want to leave work and ride it!

druidh
    Free Member

Sad, I know, but what sort of frame weight would a medium be?

brownpants
    Free Member

Think frame is 6.2 lbs or there abouts.
    Mine feels spritley enough with Stans Arch’s, XO gripshift , XTR cranks and middleburn rings , Thomson post, DT Swiss forks at 1750 g for 150mm, xt spds, Answer pro riser bars , Formula The Ones with 180mm rotors .

Spud

Very nice Gregc! Druidh, I can’t find the email but I asked Titus about the weight of a small frame and was quoted 5.3lb. I seem to recall Competitive Cyclist quoting 5.7 for a medium.

elaineanne
    Free Member

is fat treads still trading then as …’Axel imports’ down south somewhere are now imports for Titus….! got any email from Biketreks in Ambleside who said they dont have any in ? but they can order for me…
    trouble is i dont know what size to get… xxs or xs, perhaps i shud give fattreads a phone call and ask what they have in ? mite get a bargin ..you never know.

brownpants : i thort of just buying a frame with rear sus attached and then adding my own bike gear to the frame , but then agin it mite not all fit ???? being american sizes ???? confused somewhat now ? lol

Spud

They only go down to an XS. There was an article on womens’ specific bikes in a the mag last year, the ML was one of them. I bought mine when Fat Tread were still the importer and they were very helpful, as were Axel when I called them a couple of weeks ago.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I was in Fat Tread last weekend and they had a second-hand XS frame for a very good price…

You’d better call them quick!

mildred

I second gregc Sshockwave at Ruddington are top blokes.

I bought my Supermoto from them and they were extremely helpful – they look after their customers and make you want to go back.

My supermoto is the best 4 bar bike I have ever ridden. I’ve now sold it due to a change of plans, but 1st ride and I was smitten. Lively with good feedback, just like a good single pivot, but not wallowy like many other 4 bars.

I back-to-back tested a SuMo and a five spot (horst), thinking the lighter Turner would be nicer – WRONG – the Titus was far and away a nicer ride (obviously personal preferences are important), whereas the Turner felt wooden and dead.

My opinion, of course.

househusband

is fat treads still trading then as …’Axel imports’ down south somewhere are now imports for Titus…

Fat Tread were the UK importers until sometime last year when Titus the import gig was poached by Axel, an offshoot of Bikelab in Poole – at least that’s my understanding, and I do stand to be corrected. Fat Tread have been selling off their remaining stock since.

I bought mine from Fat Tread (very helpful) last summer and have been very pleased with the frame, apart from bending mech hangers – but then that’s more down to my buffoonesque riding. Have changed the shock bushings as they went a couple of months ago, and the main pivot bearings went just this weekend – am waiting for new bearings to arrive from eBay. Mine’s built up with coil Pikes, XM819 rims and UST tyres so isn’t particularly light. But then I’m not exactly dainty, just want stuff that’s reliable and robust.

elaineanne
    Free Member

but im so not with the titus models ..i dont even know which particular model im after (but something thats ‘all mountain’ all ‘kinds of terrain’…
    im very new to researching these bikes as ive spent so many months looking for a specialized or cannondale to fit me with much much disapointment.
    so could do with a catalogue or something with much info to look at really…

druidh
    Free Member
    crazy-legs

http://www.titusti.com/titus09/home.php

All the models plus geometry etc in there.

EDIT: damn, beaten to it again!

Inzane
    Free Member

meh, get a 5-spot. Better all rounder, less maintenance with the bushes over bearings. Better pedaling with the new DW-link.

Spud

Inzane, have you ridden both?

Andy

E A got mine (Large) in January as a sale bike from Fat Treads, its a 2007 model so without the carbon back end. I wanted a longer travel bike over the Superlight I have at the moment, which is a great bike with 100mm travel front and rear but doesn’t suit longer on the front IMO (awaits flaming). I looked for the pitch pros but missed all the deals and this in the sale was the same price as the Pitch. I did a fair bit of research and spoke to Fat Treads (Martin is that you?), who gave excellent advice and were really helpful.

Have only ridden it one weekend at Afan (W2 & Skyline) and found it a way more capable bike than me (at the mincing end of ‘core). Downhill I found the bike fantastic with all that travel. On the flat it rides really well as its not too heavy and you do feel nicely forward ( is that the step head angle). Up hill I tried the TALAS down, up. Rear pro pedal on and off and found it best on techy climbs with the Talas up and propedal off ( 🙄 ).

I am delighted with the bike overall and thats only after one weekend. There is still a lot to do with the fiddly bits! my only thoughts are that I need to try a 29er like the Sultan but thats more about me than the Titus.

I had better bits around so stripped and fitted those (and bought a pimpy matching Spoon), the wieght is now 28lb compared to the 31lb as supplied,(Thats for a large effectively extra large) and with better kit would be only half a pound heavier than my 26 lb superlight. So an XS could build a lot lighter (24-5lbs?) if you really wanted to.

Jojo – loving that green. Nearly as nice as the bronze 😆

Pics:

gregc
    Free Member

here’s the address for sshokwave in ruddington,notts .

http://www.sshokwavebikes.co.uk/

druidh
    Free Member

Andy – I saw that bike in FT. That bronze is absolutely stunning. If it had been a medium, I’d have had it there and then.

Andy

Thanks, the colour was the last thing I asked about and it does look fantastic!

Andy

NB Comments about the shock bushings noted as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Titus Motolite’ is closed to new replies.