Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Titus el Guapo sizing
  • graphite
    Free Member

Hi All

I’m looking at building up an el Guapo frame for some all mountain fun. I’m never going to get to try one first so I’m buying blind based on reviews etc.

Has anyone got one that can comment on sizing? I’m 6′ and about 72kg so I reckon a medium would prob be ok but I’d like to run a really short stem (or at least have the option) so I’m thinking a large might be better.

Cheers
    Rich

wilko1999
    Free Member

Rich great choice, I’ve got one and it’s great fun

I’m 6’1 and have a large. With a 70mm stem it’s nearly perfect for me. In fact if I was really splitting hairs I would have liked the frame a little longer. I use it for everything from xc rides, trail centres to full on uplift days

I would def recommend a large, esp if you’re thinking of 50mm or shorter stem

IA

6’4″, 60mm stem and I’m right at the top end of fitting. Only fits as it replaces my DH bike, I have another bigger bike for XC.

So as above, recommend a large.

Your location says bath, if you’ve not bought by end of August, I’ll be living down that end of the country then and you can have a go on mine for size…

batman11
    Free Member

My buddy’s 6 ft and rode the lrg with a 70mm stem all good, in fact he is nowchanging up so is selling the frame if it is of interest?

Bats.

graphite
    Free Member

Thanks guys – exactly what I was looking for. I kind of figured a large was the way to go but it’s an expensive thing to guess!

Thanks for the offer IA – hopefully I’ll have it all sorted by then! If you don’t know this part of the world give me a shout and I can maybe point in the direction of a few places to ride.

I’m excited now! Going strip down my KHS555 for most of the bits short term and then get the biggest forks you can reasonably fit to an el Guapo – can’t wait!

Rich

graphite
    Free Member

Hi Bats

Thanks. might be interested. What age/colour is it?

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

FYI I am 6ft and was advised buying the M by Grant and Ed

graphite
    Free Member

Ah no, Frogleek the voice of dissent! I knew it couldn’t be that easy. Did you get one, and what do you think of it (if you did)?

davidxbrown
    Free Member

I’m 6’1″ and have been tempted for a while to buy into a El guapo, I have ridden a medium fitted with a KS dropper post which I couldn’t get high enough without it being less than the minimum insertion, other than that it was a great ride and certainly the equal of my Trek Remedy. If I had one it would be a large. HTH

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

I havn’t got one (yet) although I do like to chuck my bikes about.
    I ride a medium Reign X so the smaller frames are always appealing; although on flat sections and uphill I could do with a larger frame, pointing down im glad its smaller
    Guess it depends on the kind of riding you will mostly be doing?
    Oh and I do have a longer torso, shorter legs scenario (sound like a Freek)

nick1962
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 8in with short legs and a “normal size” upper body replete with middle aged spread and have a medium with a 70mm stem which is probably of no help whatsoever. Great bike but make sure you helitape round the seattube/toptube where the cables run as you can get a bit of rubbage when the suspension kicks in.

graphite
    Free Member

It looks like its all pointing towards the large. I’ve probably got the slightly longer legs/shorter body senario (but not too freaky i hope!!). Cos i’m a bit puny for shorter rides I quite like a smaller bike I can really hammer but i can see this being used for big trips so i want something i can sit on all day really (this is in my dream where i’m taking 2 weeks twice a year in Rockies/alps etc with nothing to but ride!).

Need to pick some forks now. Also tempted by a 1×10 setup that ed oxley was riding in his review (http://vimeo.com/37884836) but I’m on a limited budget and have a perfectly good 3×9 off my old khs.

Thanks for all the advice. Singletrack forum triumphs again!
    R

IA

1×9 32 with 11-32 on the back here, I can get that up most things. Fairly strong rider though. Worth trying a single ring IMO as it lets you run a chain guide. I did have it 34t with 11-27t for the inners enduro, but riding to the top of the hill 6 times over the weekend did somewhat ruin me.

Solo air Totems spaced down to 160 on the front, cos it’s what I had. But the length feels about right, though I might get a 1.5 deg slackset to make it more like my socom.

As with any four bar, either a shadow mech, or SRAM is a good idea – cos the mech can’t pivot forward and batter itself to bits on the horst link pivot.

graphite
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips IA – much appreciated. Is the Totem a bit overkill? I reckon i might be too puny for it – I have the build of a sparrow!

nick1962
    Free Member

Got a 170mm coil Lyric DH on mine. I know On One spec with a 150 mm RS fork but I think that’s a price thing as they used to come with 160mm.I checked the recomended axle to crown and my fork is only a couple of mm over.I now run 1×9.32 x 11-34.Get up everything at Glentress no probsand did a bit round Calderdale but never took it up a real Scottish mountain yet.If you go for an ISCG chain guide be aware that one of the bolts can run into the downtube without spacers/washers

batman11
    Free Member

Ho mate it’s an 09 silver ano with an rp23 rear shox. Condition wise it’s used for sure with a fair amount of scuffs on the top tube ( not the hardest anodising I’ve ever seen ) that is for sure and other than that it’s been used mainly on the south downs as a trail bike with a few trips to Wales in its first 2 years, but it’s not been used much in the last year or so.
    Bats.

graphite
    Free Member

Thanks Batman – I think I’ll go for a 2012 one.

Thanks for the tips Nick a 170 sounds good. I’ll have to look at 1×9 setup – might be the way to go.

Ta
    R

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Titus el Guapo sizing’ is closed to new replies.