• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by OCB.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Titec H bars, whos using them any thoughts?
  • tommid
    Free Member

I had a set of Jones that I sold (wish I hadn’t). I can’t afford another set so wondered a bout a set of Titec H or J bars (the flat ones like the original H bars not the weird riser ones).
    Have you got a set are they any good? Much difference to the Jones, other than being Alloy?

Bimbler
    Free Member

I’d be interested in any replies too, Bikeradar did a small review . Seem quite heavy and you have to use Bar tape instead of grips? Not sure I could be without my Oury’s

MikeWW
    Free Member

Had em for ages on my single speed. Use cork grips then have cork tape wrapped over the end of the grip and the bar. Very comfortable, great for climbing-can’t fault them

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Jeff will be doing the Loop Bar, cut and uncut, in Ali for $120 – another option.

Love my Ti H bars, bought on ebay for a song 😀

james-o
    Free Member

i love mine on the rigid SS mud-bike. really great for catching slides, much better than normal bars for a reason that i can’t quite figure out, beyond arm position that is. not great for hops and jumps but then it’s not on a really techy-terrain bike. I have single-lock foam grips and bartape on mine.

great for climbing, distance riding and cruising. and Jeff Jones proves you can ride the big stuff on them, but i do wonder what he could ride on a ‘proper’ freeride bike…

overall, not a replacement / better bar, but a very good ‘different’ bar. a bit heavy but they’re welded so need to be thicker in places, plus i like the stiffness when hauling on them. if i was setting off on a really big ride on average terrain they would be my choice, but the more travel i had th less i’d want to use them, ie beyond 80-100mm forks tbh.

noteeth
    Free Member

but i do wonder what he could ride on a ‘proper’ freeride bike…

Tangent (occasionally of this parish) runs a set of Jones H-Bars on a FOES… 😯

MSP

I tried them and didn’t like them, but if you liked the jones ones I expect they will be fine.
    I would sell them to you, but don’t think the postage from Germany would be worth it.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Been using the odd riser ones on my KM for about 2 years now and love em, guess if your used to the original Jones versions you’ll be fine. I’ve also been experimenting with some Ragley Carnegies on my Rig at the moment too, they feel slightly different, bit wider but really comfortable.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I’ve also been experimenting with some Ragley Carnegies on my Rig at the moment too, they feel slightly different, bit wider but really comfortable. “

Me tooo … i have tehe drop version and they are still super comfy ! Drop carnegies and a set of ergons on rigid forks. 5 hour ride – nae pains in hands. plenty stable too , rode see saws and other narrow wood work with them – took a little getting used to though !

OCB
    Free Member

I’ve got the ‘odd riser version’ on two of my bikes, and I really like them.
    I tried, but wasn’t too keen on the position of the Carneigies (nor the Mary) – the riser Titec bar position has suite me much better.

One set are on my much used Kona, the other set are on my hardly used Genesis (and that’s only ‘hardly used’ because that Kona is just such a great ride – Hmm, maybe the Genesis needs to be single-speed and fully rigid too).

Both sets of bars have double layered Easton cork-tape wrapped on the flats (equally badly) and Specialized ‘small’ sized ergonomic grips for the err, grips.

Gratuitous photo opportunity beckons.

This was a bit more convoluted to set up initially, as the XT pods (it originally had), didn’t really work given the sweep of these bars. It’s set up with Dura-Ace bar-end shifters sat on SJS adaptor brackets. This works perfectly, and the shifting is much more precise than it ever was with the pods – although that said, I use them as friction shifters, (as I prefer it that way).

james-o
    Free Member

How do you find the big fork / jones bar combo on that Genesis? I may have to try it but it says mis-match to me – but things that seem ‘wrong’ sometimes work so well i’m glad i tried them.. like the jones bars.

OCB
    Free Member

Ha ha, I’d be the first to agree that it looks mis-matched, but I like to poke and prod at things and see what gives.

😉

Unhelpfully, it’s hard to describe why it seems to work, other than to say that it just feels ‘right’ – I couldn’t get settled on mid or low risers, nor on Carnegies here, but these just seem to work. I’m a bit of a show-pony about riding ergonomics too – a properly set up bike is such a contrast to one that’s only nearly there.

The type of riding plays it’s part maybe – I’m not a very technical rider (ie, not very good) so I tend to ride through things, rather than try to pick the front up and go around too much, but that said, making sense of stuff like tractor ruts gouged in soft greenlanes never bothers it/me.

Some of that ride assurance might [only] be because it [now] feels *very* similar to the Kona, which is fitted with 29er forks, not the 26″ versions it was built for 100 years ago, and, because I’ve ridden about 100 million miles on that bike.

Dunno why it works, but it just seems to – maybe it’d be different if I rode different stuff …

They do need more time spent to set them up properly, but it’s well worth it – I can’t see I’d ever go back to conventional bars now. They do need longer cables and hoses than you’d expect tho’ – I couldn’t *just* swap the bars as you’d otherwise just get away with, I had to remake the hoses, and use new gear cables.

If I change anything on this bike, it’ll be the forks first, these are frankly best summed up as a bit odd: they have a fair bit of sag initially, seem to blow through their travel quickly, but I’ve never found the bottom – reliability is great but at the expense of being heavy and overbuilt – happily I can lock them out on climbs or they’d be ridiculous. Even saying all that, I still think they probably are the ‘right’ fork for me / this bike … (although it’d also work brilliantly well as a fully rigid, single speed bike).

Dunno that’ll help much tho’ it all seems a bit too random?

🙄

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Titec H bars, whos using them any thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.