Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Titanium stems , are they worth it?
  • soonback
    Free Member

hi , thinking of putting a ti stem on my ti frame, is it worth it compared to say a thomson x2
    does anyone have experience of a ti stem?

Sam

Not really a good material for a stem unless you are a complete Ti fetishist.

Sam

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

My opinion is twofold.
    Titanium stems ( like carbon stems) offer no real world advantages over generally cheaper and lighter alloy counterparts.
    Titanium stems can make the bike look a little too much like you want everything to be Ti for the sake of it.

Sam

Don’t really agree, I have a carbon stem (Pro Sprint) on my track bike which is way stiffer than the Thomson X4 which was on there before. Carbon is all about how you use the material. Ti (as it is generally used for stems – fairly thin walled, small diameter tubes) is never going to make for a particularly stiff stem. So, assuming you want stiffness, then Ti is not a good way to go. For the same reason you rarely see steel stems.

soonback
    Free Member

thanks, think you’ve confirmed what i was thinking, an x2 it is

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Not really a good material for a stem unless you are a complete Ti fetishist.

been there done that and agree. Ti is flexible so needs large diameter tubes to provide stiffness, losing most of any theoretical weight advantage.

Many years ago I had a Litespeed in brushed Ti with matching Dean seatpost and Titec Ti bar and stem. The Titec Fathead was reasonably stiff by virtue of being ovalised, but not on a par with a decent alloy stem.

Not mine, and described as “vintage” on ebay 🙄 😳

and an honest appraisal here

Titec Fathead

globalti
    Free Member

That’s a longer version of the Ti stem that came with my Global Th1.5. The metal around the bar clamp area is too flexible and it expands outwards under sideways stresses on the bars, meaning that it creaks like hell and leaves an oval area of wear on the bars where they are in tight contact. I swopped it for an alloy stem I got for a few quid of Ebay and got instant blissful silence and a stiffer feel.

An earlier incarnation of the Global Ti stem had an internal stem clamp, which was a disastrous design as it wouldn’t hold tight and I kept tightening the bolt, until it snapped one day leaving me to ride home with my bars swivelling freely on the stem.

The redesigned stem is lying in my bits box if any titanium fetishist wants to make me an offer for it.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

I used to have an ITM Ti quill stem on my first single speed, picked it up off ebay for a song, anyway in addition to being rather pimp it gave a pleasant degree of flex on what was otherwise a rather stiff cockpit (Kona steel bars and P2 forks).

gee
    Free Member

I am a complete ti fetishist. Just bought a used Moots ti stem off eBay (they are £420 new, this one was £150 and looks new!!) for my El Mar ti. Now everything is ti 🙂

It feels the same as the Salsa promoto stem I had before, but these aren’t the stiffest anyway. I don’t really care as it looks gorgeous.

GB

Sam

Got some Morati cranks George? Ti King headset? I think there is even a Ti chain out there for those with truly more money than sense 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

It’ll really Ti the bike together

nedrapier

If I was a ti fetishist, I probably wouldn’t stretch it as far as getting a ti stem. Something like this might tempt me, though

Funds allowing, obviously. Which, being a ti fetishist, they probably would.

rewski
    Free Member

I stopped my fetish at a frame and King Ti bottle cage, I seriously looked at the kingdom stem, thomson ti bars and ericksen ti post, then had a quiet work myself, more than happy with my bargain easton haven, kinesis struts and xfusion dropper.

mikemorini
    Free Member

I’ve got a Spin cycles Ti stem on my Gryphon.
    Doesn’t seem to flex when I’m out the saddle, but I’m normally focusing on how much my legs hurt at that point so may not notice.

nedrapier

Do you have a 3 1/2, mike?

mikemorini
    Free Member

I’ll have to check when at home, but I’m sure it’s 3 1/2″ (90mm ish).

nedrapier

Ah, sorry, I thoguht from your username that you might have one of these little beauties:

http://www.bikeexif.com/moto-morini-motorcycles

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I have a couple of ti fetish bikes and ran an ibis stem for a while. I can honestly say I didnt notice any difference between that and an alu stem other than it looking totally gorgeous. which, of course, made me ride much faster and much better 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

I love ti so much I had a some fitted in my wrist 😀

globalti
    Free Member

I wear a titanium Seiko watch.

Picto
    Free Member

Got a Spin Cycles ti on stem my fixie. It is much like any other stem really, but ti coloured. Cannot really say it is any different to any alloy stem I have ever used tbh.

gee
    Free Member

Sam – sadly those cranks all broke, and the ti headset can’t go in a ti frame…

GB

mikemorini
    Free Member

nedrapier
    Yep that’s how I got my name.
    Owned a 31/2 Sport and a Strada.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Just feels like a stem

solarider
    Free Member

I have ridden ti stems for years.

They are no better and no worse than any other material, but can finish off a ti frame build nicely.

If anybody can notice flex in a 80-100mm piece of ti tubing they are doing pretty well. People talk about flex and twist, but whilst I can notice the different ride quality of ti in a longer tube format in a frame, I can’t in a stem.

You buy one for the craftsmanship, the appearance, the quality and the exclusivity.

globalti
    Free Member

It’s not the flex in the length of the tubing, it’s the handlebar clamp. Ti is not stiff enough to rely on only two bolts so when you have a long bar clamp made from thin tube and closed by only two bolts the whole handlebar moves within the clamp area and sets up a horrible creaking when you pull hard on the bars.

The Moots stem pictured above won’t have that problem because it’s machined from billet (must have cost a lot!)

dirtyrider
    Free Member

You don’t ask the price with Moots

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Titanium stems , are they worth it?’ is closed to new replies.