Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Titanium rotors.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Does anyone rate them? Better or worse than the bog standard ones? Thinking it could be one way to save weight off my new rig (spec’d with Formula RX brakes).

njee20
    Free Member

Bad idea. Just get light steel rotors, KCNC are good.

messiah
    Free Member

You would have to spend silly money to get rotors lighter than the Formula lightweight rotors which come with RX brakes.

Formula lightweight 160mm = 87g.
    Ashima Airotor’s 160mm = 85g

It’s only when you look at Carbon Ti’s rotors you get a weight saving

http://www.carbon-ti.com/index.php?p1=prodotti&MCat=BD

cynic-al
    Free Member

Get some stans ones SH?

hobbitfeet
    Free Member

How much for those Ti carbon rotors!

😮

br
    Free Member

The Ashima ones are good, light and cheap and seem decent as I’ve run them for a few years.

orangeboy
    Free Member

ive got some stans ones on my race bike , they made the brakes (hope race) less powerful . but its still just about enough power

PaulD
    Free Member

KCNC stainless steel 160mm = 73g

Titanium would be approx 50g for the same profile, which may be too delicate to support itself.

Aluminium would be lighter still but too delicate and, like titanium, also needs a special pad compound.

Unlikely either would complete an enduro in the rain!

PaulD

njee20
    Free Member

KCNC ones are £15 and are lighter than Ashima ones.

Stan’s are alu and the performance isn’t great, in the wet they were akin to carbon rims on the road. If you’ve got silly money to throw at rotors get Scrub Racedays, lighter and cheaper than Carbon-Ti.

You’ll need special pads with all of those too, and save 10g. Woop woop.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Oh and of course by titanium I meant titanium coated alu, like the ones I’m looking at are, alligator and windcutter rotors anyway.

I thought any weight saving on the wheels would be a saving well made, unless it hampers performance.

PaulD
    Free Member

m,

If the titanium coating is yellow/orange then it is actually titanium nitride which can wear quite well.
    A coated aluminium rotor may have stiffness issues if very light and the coating will not have the same friction behaviour as stainless steel with pads designed for steel.

This all points to KCNC with standard pads as the best solution.

I have some of the yellow coated windcutter rotors, but they are steel and the coating wore away in a few rides.
    They are heavier than the KCNC ones.

All weight saving helps, but a few grams near the hub is not the same effect as the same at the rims. Look hard at your rims, tyres and tubes.

PaulD

rkk01
    Free Member

Don’t Hope do lightweight 140 and 160 rotors?

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, they’re still heavier than the KCNCs, expensive, never run true, and if you wear the pads out too much you’ll destroy them (first hand experience of that – took one 3 hour race).

rkk01
    Free Member

I’ll avoid those in that case

Where can I get the KCNC ones? Have a new set of brakes to rotor up…

allthepies
    Free Member

Just take a big dump in the morning 😉

baznav73
    Free Member

You would have to spend silly money to get rotors lighter than the Formula lightweight rotors which come with RX brakes

Formula rotors are silly money.

PaulD
    Free Member

Check Clee Cycles for the rotors, and ebay for slightly cheaper with longer delivery times.

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P1059/product

PaulD

bigyinn
    Free Member

Weight saving on wheels is only beneficial if its towards the outside of the wheel i.e Rims or Tyres. Weight saving in the centre of the wheel wont affect the rotating weight nearly as much, so you’re really only saving a few grams on the unsprung weight.
    Besides I wouldn’t be taking chances with ultra lightweight components in safety critical applications such as brakes.

njee20
    Free Member

XCRacer for the KCNC rotors, get any third item and you get a discount. Free postage too. Cheaper than Clee IME.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Titanium rotors.’ is closed to new replies.