Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Titanium Road bike reccomendations
  • petec
    Free Member

get a #22 great divide.

Made by the people who used to make Serotta Ti bikes, so a bit of pedigree.

And fatbirds have had an ex display one for some time

fat birds – may be a deal there

they do a disc one as well now.

lovely bike – really lovely

speccyguy
    Free Member

@daffy how’s the chain line with a double on the pickenflick? What size rings are running?

Subject to the answers above the pickenflick is a great all rounder. Mine’s running 1x CX1 so doesn’t have the range I need for really hilly rides. But maybe I can use a double now…!

captainmorgan
    Free Member

Litespeed ghissalo was sub 1kg
    very compact , so not flexi.
    I ride a 2006 Litespeed vortex a classic frame ,light compliant and aero.
    My advise buy local as I had lots of hassles with litespeed to repair a cracked sewanee fs mtb … lifetime waranty a bit of a joke !

Daffy

I’ve done nothing to alter the chain line other than fitting a 1.5mm spacer on the BB. Everything works as it should. It’s a compact double 34:50.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Get yourself to a bike show, great way to compare a few side by side.

Last show I went to I fell for the Kenesis range, Van Nic Zep also looked nice, but the Moots… Oh the Moots were just lovely

Vamoots DR

That’d be on my list

squin
    Free Member

I can’t post a link because of the forum eBay rule (more than 24hrs) but my Planet X Ti Pro Road is currently on eBay.

Made by Van Nicholas. Virtually brand new 5800 105 with Fulcrum wheels. Size 57.

Might not quite be an Enigma or Moots, but it’s lovely to ride.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Really do fancy a ti road bike. Price coupled with their tendency to break does put me off a bit though 😕

senorj

I also like the look of the Kinesis granfondo ti/disc & then I also noticed that Genesis do the CDF in ti…..oo er..

fasthaggis

Price coupled with their tendency to break does put me off a bit though

Really Mr B,I thought it was mostly moontin bike frames that were crackers?

gray

My ~2004 titanium Litespeed didn’t completely break even after having a Ford Focus thrown at it at about 40 mph a few months ago. It’s apparently a bit out of alignment, but no obvious cracks. I’ll probably end up getting something carbon to replace it, but mainly just for a change. In many ways a Ti frame is a really nice thing.

boblo
    Free Member

Enigma are doing a deal on the Etape Disc ATM; free (as in no additional cost) fork. Means frameset is £1330. I got one a couple of weeks ago. Looks nice, though not built it up yet. It’s gonna get Force/Spyres/Kinesis CX’s and Ritchey finishing kit. All in boxes in my hall 🙂

<edit> ‘Hall’ as in passageway from front door not as in where McMoonter lives 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Really Mr B,I thought it was mostly moontin bike frames that were crackers?

Probably more of an impression, but whenever I read a thread about Ti bikes there always seems to be a few complaints about snapped frames, warranty and how it’s definitely not a “bike for life”.

adsh
    Free Member

Nice alert on the disc Etape. Might help Kryton et al trying to decide about summer and rat bike or nice winter bike. I’d consider one myself but I use mine rarely enough I can’t justify/be arsed.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Planet X Ti Pro Road

I had one of them, looks the part but found it a bit dead feeling (even compared to previous Pro carbon) and could only put it down to the plain gauge tubing
    Also, the rear wheel kept popping out of one of its dropouts when cranking up steep hills – turns out this was likely down to using the same (hard) Ti grade on the dropouts instead of using a softer grade.
    Was gutted as it fitted really well, but had to let it go for those reasons.

gray

I don’t think any bike is a “bike for life”. I do think that a well made titanium frame has a good chance of still being alive and looking good after 10 years or more. Carbon frames in general are more vulnerable to impact damage in particular, and if they have a hard life will look tatty after a while. There are plenty of cracked carbon frames too, of course. I think that if you go superlight in any material then you’ve got to expect some limitation to lifespan, but overall if I did want a frame for 10 or 20 years, then I’d go with a not-super-light titanium one.

howarthp

My Seven Axiom SL is 13yrs old. I ride ‘000s of kms on it per year. It’s never let me down and still looks in VGC

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

As a former research metallurgist and Ti fanboi I’d bet that if we could ever see the industry figures, Ti has the biggest failure rate of any bike frame material. All its positive attributes (corrosion resistance, pseudo infinite fatigue life etc) more than outweighed by susceptibility to oxygen contamination during welding.

If I bought Ti it’d be new with a long and cast iron 😉 warranty.

fasthaggis

a long and cast iron warranty.

That would slow you down on the hills a bit 😉

I am on my 3rd Van Nic mtb frame,hope this lasts a bit longer than the last 2. For some weird reason,it hasn’t put me off the idea of a Ti road bike 😯

gray

Hmm, that’s interesting. So, effectively, if you get a good’un that’s been welded well, then it’ll last, otherwise you’re doomed?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Does sound that way. Makes you wonder how Ti frame makers stay in business given the amount of warranty frames they must have to make. I guess the price you pay initially is steep as it may need to cover handing out two or three new frames 😕

Daffy

I’ve owned 12 Ti frames and have never damaged any of them. I’ve dented a couple of Al frames and put some fairly hefty scratches in a few carbon ones.

gray

I find it a bit hard to believe that it’s quite that bad, otherwise they just wouldn’t still be making them. Sure, you hear about some breaking, but that’s true of all materials. Our level of exposure (well, mine at least) to frame breaking stories is massively influenced by all sorts of things, so without access to decent stats I hesitate to conclude anything other than “any frame I buy might not last more than a few years, but by then I might fancy something new anyway”.

gray

I’ve had two titanium frames. Each for about 12 years. One got smacked by a car, the other stolen a short time ago. I’ve broken two aluminium frames. All anecdotal evidence though – small sample sizes, different types of frames made by different manufacturers, used for different things to differing amounts.

mrblobby
    Free Member

“any frame I buy might not last more than a few years, but by then I might fancy something new anyway”.

I’d agree with that. But then what’s the second hand market like for Ti frames? I doubt I’d buy an used Ti frame with no warranty unless it really was very cheap indeed. Maybe they are called “frames for life” as you’ll never find a second hand buyer 😉

lapdog
    Free Member

I have two Ti bikes (mountain bikes). Love them but so far I have had a 9 breaks or cracks in the last 5 years. Three chain stays, 2 Ti seat posts, 1 seat post, 2 Ti handlebars (not Good) and a seat tube. Lifetime warranty so all fixed for free. Beware!

adsh
    Free Member

Don’t think Ti frames suffer on the ‘bay. Sold my unused with no warranty Enigma frame for about 10% less than new and my A la carte Ti made £450 a year ago which was over 50%. Probably depends on make – doubt a Burls/Litespeed would do as well.

fasthaggis

Maybe they are called “frames for life” as you ‘ll never find a second hand buyer get a life long replacement warranty

😉

Kryton57

Nice alert on the disc Etape. Might help Kryton et al trying to decide about summer and rat bike or nice winter bike. I’d consider one myself but I use mine rarely enough I can’t justify/be arsed.

I’ve still not decided on my consolidation policy, and have no funds available. I could stick the etape/fork on a C Card and build it up over time. Its a good call, takes 28’s so has “light-gravel” ability in the tyres I guess.

It’d get used for winter road, Flanders and club rides, would it be fast enough for the Summer club rides? 😈

I’d be more convinced if the non-disc Etape was on offer, as I could swap everything off the Defy.

But I’m fast coming to the conclusion that perhaps going for a Carbon Defy/Synapse is the better all round option.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kryton, not sure what size you’d ride but someone form our club is selling this ML carbon Defy frameset. Looks a bit of a bargain at the moment. Though is just the Advanced, not the Pro or the SL.

Kryton57

I’m an ML 😀

Yes looks good, although I need new wheels and disks. Whats the BB on that – it looks pressfit but I only have an HT2 (e.g. not 30mm) chainset.

FWIW this had caught my eye, with a view to selling the Alu Defy & perhaps later the Bianchi for a TT machine

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

So, CrashTestMonkey, interesting stuff. Technically, with the right equipment/skill, is it possible to weld and not get oxygen contamination?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kryton, he’s also selling the wheels.

BB shell I think is the standard Giant one, not sure what it’s called but the same press fit that I have on my TCR. Mine takes a 24mm axel. I think that Giant originally came with a Tiagra chainset and a Shimano press fit BB, so would be 24mm. You can always ask the seller.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Poisenully, I’d consider custom steel as a strong contender. You could pick up a work of art for simillar money

matts
    Free Member

Another somewhat delayed reply. I was thinking about Ti bikes again today and remembered Legend do some amazing stuff.

http://legend-bikes.com/Products

You may need to re-mortgage though.

pq
    Free Member

My Merlin Extralight is now 17 years old and still gets a lot of use. Very expensive but worth it for the ride quality and longevity.

Although in its day it was one of the lightest production frames available, it has very beefy chainstays, so when I put the power down it doesn’t flex – but it has the Ti ride quality in spades.

The only issues I now have with it are age specific. 1″ forks and very tight clearances mean 23mm tyres max.

bhill22
    Free Member

Have a few tit frames mailnly because of the comfort (56 old)
    Sabbath Sunday Silk very nice road bike I tend to ride the most, mainly because comfort and 3 hour rides
    Voodoo DJab mtb hardtail
    Dean Baja mtb suspension
    Planet X flat bar towpath ride

No paint to worry about and dont seem to pick up dents easily, lot going for them, all bought second hand and crack free, not cracked yet never will

dovebiker

I’ve presently got 4 titanium bikes from road, CX, 29+ and fatbike – despite what some say, I like it as a frame material and done properly it should last a long, long time. My fatbike had the misfortune of encountering a steel carpark height restriction that would have finished-off most bikes! I have seen a few broken frames in my time and regardless of brand, its things that involve plate drop-outs, crimped tubes and big changes in section that create stress-raisers and lead to accelerated failures rather than poor welding – good welding is about process control as much as about the person wielding the torch.

4bikeman
    Free Member

Ive got a Qoroz really comfortable bike, nicely made, complete with titanium seat post and stem
    Best bike I have ever had, I’ve only got normal brakes, not discs, but they do discs if needed.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Titanium Road bike reccomendations’ is closed to new replies.