Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Titanium Road and Mountain Bikes with Nice Paint?
  • monksie
    Free Member

Or am I talking out of my arse and paint should never adorn a Ti frame?
    I’ve been given the green light by the wife and the bank manager to buy a bike (or frame only) that will out live me.
    I think my wife is fed up with my swapping and changing of bikes.
    So, Ti it will be BUT, I hate the plain steel look of them.
    Are their any pictures of owners bikes or even manufacturers bikes that are Ti with a nice paint job on the web?
    I could always have a custom paint job or even do it myself with an airbrush but it’d be nice to see some…unless the very notion of painting Ti is hideous? If so, I’m sorry. I’m a philistine.

sambob
    Free Member

I think Lynskey do/did a painted frame?

wwaswas

Baum do some nice paint jobs on Ti.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve been given the green light by the wife and the bank manager to buy a bike that will out live me.

If you ride it properly it will break like most of the other “everlasting” titanium frames

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Enigma paint theirs as an optional extra.

Been thinking of getting my Ti cx painted as I find the natural colour pretty boring.

br
    Free Member

You could spray it to emphasis the Ti, by ‘windowing’?

sssimon
    Free Member

Ti I guess holds a natural finish well and is resistant to corosion so I get that some people want to show it off, but I think it’s like ball burnished gt’s in the mid nineties, “raw” carbon a few years back (which always had a crap looking decorative weave). When it’s the latest thing companies leave it bare to proce it is there, then as it becomes accepted it gets painted over.

Daffy

IF

younggeoff

Colnago used to do a titanium / carbon frame but son’t appear to any more 🙁

BadlyWiredDog

unless the very notion of painting Ti is hideous? If so, I’m sorry. I’m a philistine.

I don’t think there’s anything particularly wrong with painting ti if you want to. I really like the raw finish and it has advantages – you can simply bring it back to as new with some scotchbrite and new decals.

If you look on the Lynskey site, there’s a pic of David Lynskey’s own road bike with their weird helix tubing, looks a load better painted I reckon:

Personally I think I’d probably buy the ti frame I really wanted, then get it painted by someone good afterwards.

wellhung
    Free Member

Colnago used to do a titanium / carbon frame but son’t appear to any more

Too many warranty claims for cracked frames and paintwork flaking off

cr500dom
    Free Member

You could anodise it ;o)
    Or TiNitride coat it for uber-bling and non stick finish

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Titanium Road and Mountain Bikes with Nice Paint?’ is closed to new replies.