Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • titanium hardtail ?
  • trig
    Free Member

Thinking of going titanium.
    Commencal VIP Flame ?
    Lynskey?
    On One even?
    Thoughts please.

timdrayton
    Free Member

Enigma?

Love mine

bennyboy
    Free Member

Whyte 19, if i could have afforded one I would have bought one but went for the Whyte 19 Steel which is an awesome bike too.

hora
    Free Member

A salesman will be along soon to talk you through your post.

bol

Cotic Soda's very nice. All the usual Soul goodness, plus a lot of shininess and some lightness. New one runs 120mm max forks, but they're happiest there anyway IMO. Mine makes me smile a lot.

brant
    Free Member

"titanium hardtails" is nearly (nearly) as vague as asking for advice about choosing, say, a "red car".

titanium is a metal, and good quality, engaging bikes (which I would hope you would wish to purchase, considering titanium frames are not cheap) should be gauged by more than what they're made out of.

bikes, interestingly, are often segregated according to frame material, wheelsize, or suspension travel, rather than "what they're good at doing".

titanium frames are very lovely though particularly the way that you can run 'em over with a kitchen scrub, put on new stickers, and make them look box-fresh. So for that reason I'd never get a bead-blasted one. 'Cept I have a bead blasted one 🙁

Rikoshea
    Free Member

Van Nicholas??

trig
    Free Member

Sorry if I sound like an idiot I just wanted to chuck a post 'out there'.
    I consider myself to be a fit xc rider, always wish I was better at skills, but when I'm out all I want to do is ride til I'm knackered.
    Just got into singlespeeding so if I could run as either it might be an advantage.
    Thanks.

br
    Free Member

what length fork?

edhornby

26 or 29 wheels

Starrman28
    Free Member

I have a VN Zion and I'm really pleased with it. 90mm forks and it flew round Exmoor last weekend. Doesn't feel as fast as the stumpjumper HT I had before but a nicer ride by far. Probably not the kudos of a lightspeed but less than half the price and still looks pretty neat IMO.:0

RobinT

v happy with my Soda. (Bought when the frame was under a grand!)

5lab

sunn tzar

iain1775
    Free Member

what are you actually after?
    A racey Ti hardtail or something more 'butch'?
    If former then I have Commencal Flame Ti, its amazing (sizing is small though), frame is superb quality, easy on a par with anything produced by Lynskey etc, the welds are immaculate. Quite relaxed geometry and just flies and really tempts you to ride above your ability
    Can only take 100mm forks though (I reckon would be better with 120 as point it down and it just excels)
    frame is currently only £650 or so at Freeflow Bikes, given rrp of over £1650 taht is an absolute bargain
    Pretty exclusive too, only ever seen one other around

Hadge
    Free Member

Very vague statement – you need to say what length forks and what you intend using it for. Is it for racing, general XC stuff or a bit more hard-core? Plenty of nice stuff out there so best of luck.

Daffy

All day? Long travel Ti HT? – 2010 Cove Hummer.

XC Race – Merlin XLM

29er HT? Cost not object? – Singular Pegasus.

davidwazz
    Free Member

+1 for Singular Pegasus. Great review of it in the last issue of ST mag.

SC13NT1F1C
    Free Member

Have a look at kingdombike.com

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

love my soda, not riden my full bouncer since! had it about a month and its the only bike i ride now 😀

hora
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Chameleon and spend the ridiculous money on the kit.

hora
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Chameleon and spend the ridiculous money on very light wheels/cassette etc with a tubeless setup.

trig
    Free Member

26" definitely. Fork – 120 ish. 3 hours usually.

brant
    Free Member

kingdombike.com

nice.

marsdenman
    Free Member

sorry to crash the thread but –
    ian1775 –
    I've seen that offer on the flame – mentally cheap but, sizing seems way small so, can I ask your height + inside leg and what size you're riding?
    Also – have you tried 120 forks on it (think STW suggested it might be an option when they tested it last year, don't think they actually did though, however – they've got the long term test on the Meta 4 with 120's(same head angle as the flame I think) and they love it like that…

Cheers
    MM

the-muffin-man

I'd certainly recommend getting a Ti frame – my original Ti Inbred is still the bike I ride most. Its getting on a bit now (7yrs old I think!), but its the only frame that's remained in my collection while many, many others have come and gone.

Starrman28
    Free Member

Cove Hummer is possibly the worst bke I have ever rode, handled like a pig..:(

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Super quality Ti frame? easy, Indi Fab, Serrotta, Moots or Kish. Everything else is relying on the "Ti" tag and not the build and tubing quality

iain1775
    Free Member

marsdenman (and OP)

Im 5'10" with 32" inside leg
    I have a medium

It is small for a medium but I prefer my bikes a bit on the small side. It handles like an oversize BMX! I could maybe be better with large though. I got it a couple of years ago, it had been built up for a trade show and never riden, I only paid £600 for it back then.
    Absolutley love it, hardly ever use the Meta anymore
    Built up with SID's DT Swiss 240 / Stans Olympic wheels, XTR and Hope 160 Mono Minis it weighs in about 22.5-23lbs

The build quality is superb, best welding Ive seen on any ti bike, the wishbone stays and laser etched graphics are a work of art yet the whole bike looks very understated and never draws any attention

I havent gone with 120 forks yet but I do think it would definately be better with 120's on. Soon as I can get a pair 2nd hand at a decent price thats what I plan to do

loddrik
    Free Member

I have a van nic, second one I have had I I just don't see why I'd need to pay more. People get very anal about build or tubing but let's be honest, an Audi costs more than a ford but the ford drives better…

tk46hal
    Free Member

TI 456 if you can get one!
    Great for everything!

bobster
    Free Member

Starrman28 – Member
    Cove Hummer is possibly the worst bke I have ever rode, handled like a pig..:(

In what way?

phildowling
    Free Member

Ragley TD-1 for me if you go 29er route not that you'll actually know it's got big wheels! Feels and turns like little wheels but is a rocket on singletrack, makes you rip peoples legs off on climbs and descents fast and stable.
    Gears or ss no problem can't get enough of mine 🙂

marsdenman
    Free Member

@iain1775 – cheers!
    i'm 5'11' with a 31" inside leg so worried the med would be way short – seems the large would be the way to go..

flyingfox
    Free Member

Cheap Commencal one from http://www.freeflowbikes.com ? Supposed to be the secret and seriously cheap.

Starrman28
    Free Member

Bobtser, It was the most vague handling thing I ever ridden, I've prety much always ridden HT's albeit more XC. I was expecting a really good ride, the frame is a lovely build and spec. Could wait to get off it after about 10 miles. Horses for courses I guess.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Anyone know where to find the geo of the Commencal Ti flame? Struggling ere.

Seems like a steal TBH.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Anyone know where to find the geo of the Commencal Ti flame? Struggling ere.

Seems like a steal TBH.

iain1775
    Free Member

Tomahawk, I have the 2009 Commencal catalogue with it in, I will post up tonight
    Be wary though it is different geo to the alloy Flame, more in line with Dan Atherton's Ti 4x bike

Marsden – definately a large, was out on mine last night and got thinking about it, woluld definately be better a little bigger with a shorter stem (I have 90mm at mo and bars rolled quite forward, with a layback post also)

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Thanks Iain…

Been on the site and they only have XL's left apparently? I wonder if that is a error on the site? I wouldn't have thought they would do a XL.

enfht
    Free Member

Why doesn't the orange range include a ti hardtail?

Would the P7's "sorted" goemetry go to pot with a change of metal?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘titanium hardtail ?’ is closed to new replies.