Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Titanium Frame Repairs? – Road Bike
  • Ladders
    Free Member

Hi everyone!

I’ve got a 1990’s Raleigh Titanium which I’ve had from new. Sadly the downtube broke a couple of years ago near the head tube and I’d like to try and get it repaired.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that will repair? I’ve tried Enigma, they said the whole downtime will need replacing, but just wanted some other options before I think about sending it off.

Cheers!

thepodge
    Free Member

Vernon Barker in Dronfield has done Ti work in the past. Not sure if he’s still welding but someone is still using his name.

I believe he made a proper pigs ear of someone one here’s frame but other than that he gets good reviews

qwerty
    Free Member

Ted James Designs welds in Ti (does work for Reynolds / Charge). He’s near Stroud, Glos. and could be worth trying. I’m no expert, but a new tube sounds the most reassuring way to go.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

If its the tube itself that has broken / cracked rather than at a weld then the likelihood is that the tube will require replacing. Due to the wall thickness of the tube being so low and thus the difficultly in welding it back together and the subsequent inherent difference in the properties of the tube along the length its usual to replace rather than repair a broken tube.

Ladders
    Free Member

Yes it’s the tube itself, not sure if that makes it any better! Does mean I can get proper downtime bosses put on at the same time as well.

Cheers for suggestions so far!

Northwind

A lot of Vernon Barker repairs look like they used titanium chewing gum tbh. That’s not to say they’re not strong welds but it’s not encouraging- a skilled welder trying for a good finish can do both so when you see anything that ugly you’ve got to wonder.

I got Enigma to do my Soda:

£100 it was, for a similar crack on both sides. They’re not averse to repairs but if they say “whole new tube” I’d take their word for it personally.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Titanium Frame Repairs? – Road Bike’ is closed to new replies.