Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 341 total)
  • Titanium frame needed; custom or off the peg?
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Films about framebuilding always have to have a framebuilder with a beard and tattoos. It’s the law.

pictonroad

Good point. OP, what’s your beard and tattoo status?

bencooper
    Free Member

The OP isn’t the framebuilder, he’s the plucky young visionary that all the old farts laugh at, until he’s proved right in the end in a heartwarming scene.

nedrapier

Not too late Picton:

£3500 GBP
    The ‘Designer’ (literally)

PERK: YOUR NAME as EXEC DESIGNER on a single slate in the opening titles of the film. You can rewrite up to 4 narratives of the story, based on people’s jobs, PLUS bespoke ti frame, (in a custom colour of your choice), complete with Fox Float DPS EVOL Shock RRP £1700! 5 x Annual Print and Digital Subscriptions to Singletrack magazine (Jan ’16).

robdob
    Free Member

I’d recommend a frame builder for you, but I like them so I won’t……

“Maybe even 140mm disc on the rear”

As soon as I read that I knew you didn’t know what you were taking about…. obviously never ridden a laden bike!!

nemesis
    Free Member

bartyp, could you design me a pie chart? Won’t take a moment for a man of your vision…

wwaswas

I’d be looking for someone who’s designed, built and eaten one nemesis.

jamie_bkc
    Free Member

Came here from the other thread, and just can’t help myself.

I will be specifying particular unique aspects of the bike’s design.That makes me it’s ‘designer’.

Sorry but while you may feel that way, almost everyone, including myself will disagree.

It’s often the title used by art or fashion based industries that a person who comes up with a concept or brief is “the designer” and god knows there’s lots of people whose skills in sports get drawn upon for design influence who too, claim they were designers.

But in the context of creating a product, be it in the leisure industry or otherwise, if your only contribution to a product is the brief then you’re a customer (a title that applies to both a company or person asking for a product to be developed and the end consumer) and you still need a design engineer, someone who can take a set of requirements and develop a design that not only meets the requirements laid out by the customer but also meets the requirements laid out by any governing body (industry dependant, think CE marking, CEN tests etc.) and also requirements for manufacturing. Ti is an excellent example as the difficulties involved in welding will have an impact on the final frame design.

Then (and I’m speaking generally here) you’ll have another person/company who takes the finalised design and manufactures it. So while you could take a rough design to a manufacturer, and they can offer advice on what works and what doesn’t, the responsibility of ensuring that what you’ve drawn up is feasible does not lie with them. I’ve seen classic cases of this where someone has sent a one-off quick design to a fabricators only to find that what they’d drawn failed a few weeks later due to design oversight, but that didn’t stop the fabricators from making it for them.

The blurred lines come in where people model their businesses differently, lots of smaller firms will have one man/team responsibly for both design brief and execution, outsourcing manufacturing to another party be it within their own organisation or externally.

Some companies (or consumers) might say “We/I want a new bicycle to sell under our name/custom made for me) and outsource both design and manufacture. This is you, nothing wrong with it mind.

Some really small outfits do everything, but rarely will it be one person doing every aspect, there’s just not enough hours in the day to make it profitable.

bencooper
    Free Member

Some really small outfits do everything, but rarely will it be one person doing every aspect, there’s just not enough hours in the day to make it profitable.

It can be profitable enough to make a reasonable living, the trick is to be selective of customers! Sometimes I just fabricate designs that people bring to me, but much more often I get involved in making the design workable, and often designing the bike from scratch to a brief.

The one thing I think that is common among projects I turn down is that the customer doesn’t know what they want. By that I don’t mean that they don’t know the details of a design, or even the basics of an idea, I mean that they don’t know why they want the bike and what it’s for.

nemesis
    Free Member

Oh, hold on. I know someone like that. I’ll pass your details on to him, ben 😉

jamie_bkc
    Free Member

It can be profitable enough to make a reasonable living

Good to hear!

tomd
    Free Member

I suppose in 2015 it’s still tough to decide whether discs or v brakes will be the future. It’s just so tough for one man to conceive, specify, design and build a bike these days what with progress and all.

boblo
    Free Member

Blimey. You go out for a ride and this nonsense kicks off again…

Delusional…

I’ll piss my pants if poor old Titchmarsh ends up with this job from hell 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

How well do you understand stainless steel, if you think it is corrosion resistant in salt solution?[/quote]The irony of it is, they don’t even use a huge amount of salt in Sweden anymore, they haven’t for a good few years. Mainly as it doesn’t work very well.
    Far more is used in the UK, where the warmer temps actually mean it works.

warpcow
    Free Member

The irony of it is, they don’t even use a huge amount of salt in Sweden anymore, they haven’t for a good few years. Mainly as it doesn’t work very well.

It’s been making a resurgence the last few years, specifically on cyclepaths. They’ve started using special sweepers (originating from Denmark) that break up and scrape away snow and ice and then spray the cleared surface with a strong salt-solution. They’re quite effective, but require some amount of extra maintenance on the part of the cyclists.

Euro
    Free Member

Is this your design bartyp?

Top job btw 😀

BadlyWiredDog

This is a brilliant thread, I don’t think I’ve ever felt sorry for Brant before… nicely judged mix of smug superiority and an excellent side-dish of indignant offence taken if anyone dares question the OP’s credentials.

I like the way he/it/she has stolen it’s name from an author of home and gardening manuals:

http://www.bartyphillips.com

Author of claasics like Living With Carpets, How to make the best Use of Salvage and the Ladybird Book of Trolls

Surely a different Barty though… same name, which is unusual, but… 😉

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Your the designer…..aren’t making a copy of your old frame and adding arty details to it?

amontourchris
    Free Member

I’ve just spent an enjoyable few minutes reading this thread. After reading it, posting this seems appropriate.

A narcissistic Personality Disorder is characterized by a long-standing pattern of grandiosity (either in fantasy or actual behavior), an overwhelming need for admiration, and usually a complete lack of empathy toward others. People with this disorder often believe they are of primary importance in everybody’s life or to anyone they meet. While this pattern of behavior may be appropriate for a king in 16th Century England, it is generally considered inappropriate for most ordinary people today.

People with narcissistic personality disorder often display snobbish, disdainful, or patronizing attitudes. For example, an individual with this disorder may complain about a clumsy waiter’s “rudeness” or “stupidity” or conclude a medical evaluation with a condescending evaluation of the physician.

In laypeople terms, someone with this disorder may be described simply as a “narcissist” or as someone with “narcissism.” Both of these terms generally refer to someone with narcissistic personality disorder.

A personality disorder is an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates from the norm of the individual’s culture. The pattern is seen in two or more of the following areas: cognition; affect; interpersonal functioning; or impulse control. The enduring pattern is inflexible and pervasive across a broad range of personal and social situations. It typically leads to significant distress or impairment in social, work or other areas of functioning. The pattern is stable and of long duration, and its onset can be traced back to early adulthood or adolescence.

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder

In order for a person to be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) they must meet five or more of the following symptoms:

Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
    Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
    Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
    Requires excessive admiration
    Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
    Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
    Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
    Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
    Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Hope that helps 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

300!

kerley
    Free Member

A narcissistic Personality Disorder

You missed out the bit where they snap and end up killing a few people if they feel overly challenged by them. They also assume they will get away with it because they are superior to others.

DanW
    Free Member

For someone who know’s exactly what they want and is such a “designer” with half the parts already sat at home… this isn’t half taking a long time. Goodness only knows how long a steel build would take if you had to choose a colour as well!

teasel
    Free Member

Those above symptoms don’t just fit the curious Bartyp; they could easily describe many of the more prolific posters of this forum.

Aside from the obscure killing bit that Kerly wrote up there, obviously…

bencooper
    Free Member

Aside from the obscure killing bit that Kerly wrote up there, obviously…

There’s a new building site next to me – they’re laying the concrete foundations today. Just saying.

titchmarshcycles
    Free Member

@boblo I don’t think there’s any danger of that now.

bartyp
    Free Member

Dan; stop wasting time with these idiots, and pick up the phone! 😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

@titch.Think of it less like an order lost.And more like your will to live,faith in humanity and sanity retained.

thv3
    Free Member

bartyp – Member

You’re really not.

No, I really am. In a similar way that Brant is. I will be specifying particular unique aspects of the bike’s design.That makes me it’s ‘designer’.[/quote]

Awesome, thanks to this thread it turns I’m also a “designer” 😆

And not just around bike frames, having specified particular unique aspects of our recent central heating system, I guess I designed it too? Should I be paying myself design fees for my designs? Perhaps I should be charging the engineer?

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m a designer and so is my wife.

titchmarshcycles
    Free Member

@Rorachach Indeed.

Macavity
    Free Member
    bartyp
    Free Member

Well, that took an unexpected turn! 😆

Looks like I’ve dodged a bullet here, and avoided a potentially very expensive mistake. So, thank you, Titchmarsh, for all your time and help.

I’m going to leave it there, as there’s really no point in continuing this. I suggest others do the same.

Thanks.

boblo
    Free Member

Errrm, no. You don’t get to call it off just cos you’ve suddenly realised the error(s) of your ways…. The errors people have been trying to help you with since the dawn of time (or so it seems).

Go on then, what happened? How did this great epiphany occur?

This chump reminds me of surfmat BTW, in a ‘breathtaking arrogance meets zero interpersonal skills’ kind of way.

firestarter
    Free Member

Shit the bed I thought I was a mare for brant a few years back and more recently Mr shand (well I was actually I don’t just think that ;)) but my god frame builders must be running from this thread

BadlyWiredDog

I’m going to leave it there, as there’s really no point in continuing this. I suggest others do the same.

Encore!!!! Don’t leave us, you were just getting started 😐

philxx1975
    Free Member

Think of it less like an order lost.And more like your will to live,faith in humanity and sanity retained.

Did someone point this out earlier in the thread and then get lambasted for being rude?

titchmarshcycles
    Free Member

@boblo I told Barty to jog on is what happened. After he started that thread (taking our ‘association’ out of context) to ‘support me’ but I suspect get at brant. I didn’t ask for this ‘support’ and I made it clear to Barty that Brant is not standing in the way of me building 15 or 20 bikes a year. In fact Philxx1975 is right in a way and I know that I need more bikes on show.

Alarm bells started to ring when during the phone conversation on monday with Barty I felt like he didn’t really listen to me, he cut me off and talked over the top of me. He seemed more interested to talk about his ‘community’ projects than the bike and I could tell that there was some sort of proposition coming my way in the future: but not a commision for a bike. He admitted to me he has ‘some history on that thread, I’ll tell you about it later’. Then at the end of the conversation told me he had decided to go with Ted James anyway. Then the next day he spent writing the other thread, when instead he could have come up to York for a fitting session and a chat. He told me he doesn’t have to work and feels guilty about how wealthy he is: some sort of millionaire man of leisure wind up merchant. This is out of character for me to talk publicly about one of my ‘customers’ but the guy has really pissed me off.

mick_r

Wow.

Sorry to hear that.

Just keep making the nice bikes for nice people.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Just keep making the nice bikes for nice people

x1000
    And keep putting photos up so us paupers can drool and dream.
    Ahh….that explains it.He offsets all the guilt by being an unconscionable arsehat ( has someone warned TJ?)….not THAT one.

cokie

This thread just keeps giving. It’s nice to see the STW collective supporting each other.

Titch, love your work and can’t wait to see more creations 😀 ! Looks like your experience helped you identify this guy. Seems TJ wasn’t so lucky..but he’s nails so it should be okay.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 341 total)

The topic ‘Titanium frame needed; custom or off the peg?’ is closed to new replies.