Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 341 total)
  • Titanium frame needed; custom or off the peg?
  • scotroutes

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRgFG90fmHI[/video]

Rad = Wheel.
    Bal = Ball

nickc

I can see the skill, but there’s a reason that’s never taken off isn’t there.. 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What is it with the Germans and riding bikes in sports halls?

GregMay
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    What is it with the Germans and riding bikes in sports halls?

I think you need to read that again. Sort of self explanatory.

brant
    Free Member

Saw this and thought of this thread.

nickc

seems fair 😆

paul4stones

brant – Member
    Saw this and thought of this thread.

Not sure where I fit in on that scale 🙂

Fwiw I had a bike fit a couple of years ago from which I have a list of measurements that suit me. Having ridden around for a coupe of years, doing maybe 8,000 miles, I was fairly happy they were right. Brant designed my frame around those figures. I realise that you have a frame as a starting point but if you’re spending a load of money I’d want to be absolutely sure the basics were spot on first.

bartyp
    Free Member

“you’re assuming that everyone who disagrees with you is “antagonising” or otherwise unqualified to comment”

I’m not. But there are a few individuals whose input has been little other than to try to antagonise. I’ll be ignoring them from now on, unless they have something constructive to offer. I think that’s fair enough.

“that’s not going to make a great impression when people who actually do this stuff professionally are offering you free advice.”

So far, I’ve had only positive conversations with ‘people who actually do this stuff professionally’. Most seemed very keen to undertake the work. And so far, no-one who ‘actually does this stuff professionally’ (ie actually build frames from Titanium) has commented on this thread. It’s interesting how the conversations with people who ‘actually do this stuff professionally’ have differed quite significantly from those on here.

“I sincerely wish you all the best with your build and look forward to reading the rest of the story.”

Thanks. I’m sure it will be a very interesting journey!

“Don’t underestimate braking forces on the road. An Enduro bike, or even a DH bike is braking from 25mph and limited by the traction of the trail surface. And the speed is continuously scrubbed off by the rough trail doing a lot of the work. A road bike you’ll be braking from 50mph+, with far more grip, and you lose almost no energy to the roughness of the road, and if carrying panniers you’ll be carrying 20% more weight too.”

I’ve used 140mm discs on the rear on an MTB (I was a bit lighter then though!), and a 180mm rotor on the front is still more than enough for me off road. I take your point though re carrying luggage, so would probably use a 160mm disc, although I’ve used V-brakes with no issues with panniers in the past. I wouldn’t imagine my max laden weight would be more than 80kg, so I won’t be needing quite the stopping power a heavier person would.

“But…why not have the rack incorporated into the frame rather than an accessory? That would be the most “elegant” solution.”

It’s definitely a consideration, as I’ve said earlier. The already mentioned English bikes have a very nice take on it:

boblo
    Free Member

Apart from Travers who you pissed off on page 1 and even felt the need to apologise and Brant a little while later.

You can argue all you like, but you come over as an objectionable know it all. You can’t argue against that as you’re not the one experiencing you.

No offence intended.

kimi
    Free Member

Rob English does some nice work.. but i reckon he’d be glad to consign that one to the ‘experimental’ stage in his career.

bartyp
    Free Member

Yes, I can’t help wondering how flexy that rear end might be. But it’s certainly an interesting idea. Other ‘integrated rack’ designs tend to look quite chunky, and utilitarian. I suppose it is a tricky thing to do right, if you want a lightweight frame, hence why separate racks are probably a better option really.

Xylene
    Free Member

Why is this thread still going? Get a firefly so i can own one by proxy of having talked to someone on the net about them

bartyp
    Free Member

Well, I do like the Firefly bikes. Too far away though! Why not get one yourself?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve used 140mm discs on the rear on an MTB (I was a bit lighter then though!), and a 180mm rotor on the front is still more than enough for me off road. I take your point though re carrying luggage, so would probably use a 160mm disc, although I’ve used V-brakes with no issues with panniers in the past. I wouldn’t imagine my max laden weight would be more than 80kg, so I won’t be needing quite the stopping power a heavier person would.

That’s kinda my point, I’m 15stone and have used 140mm disks at the back off road, but it was on the verge of boiling a lot of the time, I’d not use that on the road, for touring I’d probably have it built for 180-160. Look at a Motorcross bike VS a supermoto, same bike, same power, same weight, tiny disks vs massive disks.

bartyp
    Free Member

Typically for me, I’ve sort of forgotten about this, as other distractions happened. That, and I have a short attention span. But a ride on Sunday reminded me I really do want another bike, so I’m re-enthused. My requirements have become a little more refined (do I really want v-brake mounts when discs are now so ubiquitous?). And it’s unlikely I’ll be doing any solo round the world trips, so it doesn’t have to be particularly utilitarian, or super strong. So it’s now about discarding unnecessary elements and concentrating on what I really want from the bike. Which is al-day comfort, a bit of a jack of all trades but also something a bit nice. So still quite vague really!

I do need to sort myself out and make some decisions, as otherwise it’ll never happen. This thread’s been fairly useful though, so thanks to those who contributed positively. And I’m still up for any other ideas people might have. I’d love to see examples of reader’s bikes.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I fear somewhat,that any remaining goodwill may be a little thin on the ground ’round these parts.

scotroutes

Still a troll

bartyp
    Free Member

Still a troll

I’d kind of figured that you are, but if you do have any genuinely interesting insight, I’d still be up for reading it.

bartyp
    Free Member

I’m also considering the possibility of stuff like seatpost and handlebars. I saw a selection of bars recently that looked like they would be great for all-round use, and thought that such an idea could be ‘borrowed’ and adapted:

shedbrewed
    Free Member

My ti Burls with Tubus Airy ti rack. Three month frame build time. Audax file frame design with some tweaks after some pretty heavy demanding from me. Had to weld a new derailleur hanger on after it bent. Not hugely impressed with the finish on the welds but it’s ok.

Oh and the rack is for sale…

paul4stones

Unfortunately I’ve fallen off it so can’t ride at the moment but I’m still dead chuffed with mine. I wrote some more words and there’s plenty of pics.

Crash!

boblo
    Free Member

Yawn… Oh, is this on again?

bartyp
    Free Member

You don’t have to read any of it boblo; there are thousands of other threads for you to enjoy.

Paul4stones; thanks, that’s a great article. Really sorry to read about your injuries, hope you heal up quickly. Your bike is very close to the kind of thing I’m planning. What’s the maximum tyre width you can put in there? I know that a lot of carbon forks are quite limited. Where did you have the frame made?

Do you find the bike excels at any particular type of riding, or is it pretty good for most things? On Sunday, I concluded that it will need to be pretty capable off road, but out and out speed isn’t a major consideration. Comfort over performance there. The bars look interesting, what are they?

Shedbrewed; interesting to read your comments about Burls re the welds. Aesthetics are important to me, so that’s an area I want to be beautiful as well as functional.

paul4stones

Thanks, I’m healing well hopefully!

It’s a Pact, designed by Brant, my cousin 🙂
    Basically a cyclocross type geometry but with clearance for much fatter tyres. I can put 650bx2.2 or 700×40 in there easily. Because those two sizes have the same circumference I can swap wheels (discs of course) and change how the bike is in terms of tyres. The fatter 650b ones make it much more comfortable off road but handles exactly the same.

It’s possible to ride quite technical terrain on it in the same way it is on a ‘cross bike but more slowly than on a FS or hard tail. For the majority of off-road stuff I do round here it’s perfect. Incidentally, I was riding while my son was sailing. Came round the corner to see all the boats were off the water, ie I was late so pushed on a bit and covered the segment on strava only a few seconds slower than I’ve ever done it. That on 650b tyres. They’re not for road racing but they don’t hold you up that much! Anyway, stuff strava, steady and circumspect for me now!

On one Midge bars at the moment – may change. I think it’s good at most things and better than a cross bike at many things. Can’t wait to get back on it!

Gotama
    Free Member

It’s a Pact, designed by Brant, my cousin

Ha ha ha, brilliant!

paul4stones

Not trying to hide anything 🙂

wwaswas

bartyp has already established to their own satisfaction that brant is incapable of designing a bike frame because he’d never run a steel works so can’t understand anything about the material or something.

paul4stones

Yes, I know that but he still seems to like my bike!

firestarter
    Free Member

wwaswas

I know that but he still seems to like my bike!

there’s nothing worse than an inconsistent troll 😉

If you’re going to take a position at least stick with it.

v666ern
    Free Member

whose eaten all the biscuits

bartyp
    Free Member

Nice. So is it a little longer in the top tube than a standard CX bike? Looks like it is, but hard to tell from the pictures. I’ve worked out I’ll need a longer ETT than most off-the-peg designs seem to offer.

For the record; I have nothing against Pact, and I’m sure their customers are very happy. But they don’t offer quite the service I want, as I’ve already stated. There are other considerations, such as aesthetics and small details, which Pact won’t be able to give me, hence why I’m choosing a UK builder. I’m more interested in what people have had custom made, and the thoughts and requirements that shape their decision making. If I’m going to invest a not inconsiderable amount of money in a bicycle frame, I’d quite like to try and get it right!

One idea someone suggested to me recently was to have an extended seat tube, which would do away with using a separate seatpost, but I’m not so sure it would work well in Titanium, and may present other long-term issues. But I’m open to suggestions and it’s nice to consider options.

I did become a little distracted by the idea of having Anodised graphics, a la Firefly. Expensive, and utterly useless, but hey, why not? 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

My mate had a frame years back that was ti and glass iirc blasted after being built but the graphics were brushed ti finished it looked nice

wwaswas

I’m more interested in what people have had custom made

you know paul4stones bike was custom made (like designed and built just for him, not part of a series production run), don’t you?

bartyp
    Free Member

whose eaten all the biscuits

Sorry; I’ve just finished a whole packet of Maryland choc chip cookies. Very greedy of me I know. 😳

If you’re going to take a position at least stick with it.

I’m quite amused with your consistent failure to understand that it’s actually MY bike I’m planning to have made, and therefore I’m allowed to make MY own decisions.

bartyp has already established to their own satisfaction that brant is incapable of designing a bike frame because he’d never run a steel works so can’t understand anything about the material or something.

For MY bike frame, I’d like to be as involved in the process as possible. Which is why I’m going to go with a builder who can accommodate that. Brant, by his own admission, can’t offer the service and product that I want. That’s fine. I can chose someone else. How you arrived at the conclusion you did, I really don’t know.

Now if you have something positive to input, I’d be interested to read it. If not, would you mind just ignoring this thread from now on? As it serves no-one to descend into petty bickering over nothing.

Thanks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Now if you have something positive to input, I’d be interested to read it. If not, would you mind just ignoring this thread from now on? As it serves no-one to descend into petty bickering over nothing.

You’re new to the internet aren’t you?

wwaswas

As it serves no-one to descend into petty bickering over nothing.

You’re new to the internet aren’t you?

Oh no he’s not!

paul4stones

As wwaswas says my frame was made for me to my measurements. The ETT will be appropriate for that so how it compares to a standard cx bike is neither here nor there.

Aesthetically with hindsight I might have gone for a tapered HT rather than x44 but you know, functionally, it’s grand. The welds are lovely and apart from that I’m not sure what else could be achieved aesthetically. Beauty in the eye of the beholder, etc

Stevet1
    Free Member

One idea someone suggested to me recently was to have an extended seat tube, which would do away with using a separate seatpost, but I’m not so sure it would work well in Titanium,

Like this?
    Personally I think it looks gash but it’s your choice. The Ti anodising is gorgeous though. You can do it yourself fairly easily, I’ve always meant to try it out on a Ti stem spacer. See work by Leni Freid for ultimate examples.

http://www.titaniumarts.com/anodized.html

mick_r

One idea someone suggested to me recently was to have an extended seat tube

Had that someone any experience? From what I’ve seen it is a bad idea unless you have a very experienced builder, ideally with fatigue tests to back up his opinion.

It is a highly stressed area with a big cantilever bending moment. The point of maximum bending has a big change in stiffness and a stress raiser.

So they sometimes break. Partially extended seat tubes like that English also have a habit of breaking. Partially extended ones with a bracing stub also tend to break unless very careful about the design of the brace and how it is attached.

A standard design seat tube clamp area with small diameter aluminium seat post will be the most reliable and comfortable option (a lot of stiff carbon frames are going back to 27.2 seat posts to increase comfort).

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 341 total)

The topic ‘Titanium frame needed; custom or off the peg?’ is closed to new replies.