Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Titanium fatbike frame
  • DaveE

Looking at replacing my frame on ICT.
    Please post photos of Ti fatbike builds.

cozz
    Free Member

I had a carver ti. Fat bike lovely frame

Or you now have choice of travers frame or fat ti stooge

DaveE

I like the travers but I run Blutos and haven’t seen any builds using them.

roverpig

A couple of quick questions, if you don’t mind: why? and are you looking to match the geometry of the ICT?

Lester
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2015 Lynsey fatskey frame with helix tubes and sliding drop outs, I love it, blutos in the summer and makwa forks in the winter, and nexties.
    It’s about 26lb and rides nicely, good at climbing and with the relatively short wheelbase, it’s trail friendly.
    I’ve had other fat bikes and this is my favourite and looks sublime

brant
    Free Member

I still have a ti fat bike frame to clear from my PACT project.

Sized like a large mukluk. 4in tyres.

SRAM 1x or modified middleburn cranks (with longer axle not stock one that is too narrow)

DaveE

My intitial thoughts would be to try and match geometry of ICT. Perfect size but heavy.

cozz
    Free Member

if its weight based , surely its only 2kg?s difference between TI frame and ICT frame

you would be better fitting it with carbon rims

Ive got an ICT – doing a custom build on it, ordered 100mm carbon rims – waiting for them to turn up

you’ll loose more then the weight difference by using carbon rims tubeless won’t you?

Just a thought

scotroutes

you would be better fitting it with carbon rims

Which you could also fit to a lighter frame… 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

if its weight based , surely its only 2kg?s difference between TI frame and ICT frame

That sounds like a big difference to me

cozz
    Free Member

thats cos I was guessing

I dunno

but ICT rides great, so rather than change frame, I would change wheels

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Travers titanium Bat Fastard 4.8″ of floatation and Lauf Carbonara Forks

29 1 A morning spin on the Bat Fastard

roverpig

If you are looking to save weight wouldn’t carbon be the way to go? The Sonder Vir Fortis, for example, seems to have pretty similar geometry to the ICT and should save a bit of weight.

Lester
    Free Member

here is mine with blutos

DaveE

Have looked at swapping rims but will only save about 350g / rim (Already run tubeless) where as a ICT frame is I think 7lbs and a Ti mukluk for example is 4.5lbs. What weight is a travers for example.
    Not built for carbon. Ideally a titanium frame will last forever.

stuey
    Free Member

“Not built for carbon. Ideally a titanium frame will last forever”
    Many folk will point out both snapped Ti and Carbon frames – I have cracked Ti but not carbon.
    I believe my fat tyres go a long way to ‘protecting’ a frame from trail ‘wow/flutter’ – but a carbon frame would be lighter – does any manufacture state max loading weights ?

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/ti-fatbike-does-make-sense-987544-2.html

For cost I’d go carbon- for looks I’d go Ti 🙂

Andy

Ti frame will last forever if it has a lifetime warranty with the supplier reputation to back that up. Titanium frames do break. Its how the supplier deals with it that counts.

Dont want to put you off as am following this thread with interest as seriously considering Ti for next fatbike. Just worth going into it with eyes open.

Edit eg. The ti lynskey on one 29er im selling cracked after 7 years and lynskey repaired it without question. Id happily buy another Lynskey. My Tripster only came with a 3 year warranty and if it was to crack id be reliant on the goodwill of Kinesis as its now out of warranty

stuey
    Free Member

Mike Curiak’s held liquid fuel for long hauls..
    http://dirtragmag.com/mike-curiaks-moots-snoots-expedition-fat-bike-for-sale/

epicyclo

Ti is good if you’re going to give your fatbike the 4WD type experience. Scratches etc polish out, and you don’t feel bad chucking it down a gully or over a 7 foot deer fence.
    Go Australian – Muru Cycles

For just general trails, it’s hard to beat carbon because nothing can approach it for lightness.

(I’m going to get rid of my carbon fatbike to get a Ti one)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Titanium fatbike frame’ is closed to new replies.