Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Titanium disc rotors
  • stayhigh

Can you get titanium disc rotors? What would the beneifits and draw backs of them be?

RealMan
    Free Member

Benefits, you can tell everyone your disc rotors are titanium.

Drawbacks, you wont have any friends.

EDIT: You also won’t have any money..

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/disc-brake-rotors/product/disc-rotors-17540

How much???

stayhigh

Realman: they are shockingly expensive 😯

Someone I know has a metal shop and has mentioned the possibility of cutting some disc’s.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL @ the bikeradar article – they can’t decide if they are ti or alu.

The stans ones seemed a reasonable way of saving weight but I thought they’d been withdrawn.

A ti one wouldn’t weight that much less than steel Shirley?

dan1980
    Free Member

Pure Ti has about half the specific heat capacity of Al, so the rotors would get hotter quicker. (i.e. requires half the energy input to raise the material by 1 degree C)

I recall seeing rotors labelled as titanium, but they just had a thin coating of Ti on them, rather than being entirely made of the stuff.

stayhigh

I’m guessing there isnt a lot in it weight wise but would they be any better in terms of heat, brake fade, corrosion etc?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

dan – were they Ti Nitride coated Alu?

dan1980
    Free Member

I think they were, but sold as “Titanium”, even though they weren’t. Gave them an excuse to up the price. TiN coatings make stuff more resistant to wear (and generally give them a nice gold appearance!)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pure Ti has about half the specific heat capacity of Al, so the rotors would get hotter quicker. (i.e. requires half the energy input to raise the material by 1 degree C)

Have you accounted for density?

stayhigh

THESE are ti nitride coated.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I thought TiN also had quite low friction properties. Didnt BETD used to make hubs with no bearings, just TiN contact surfaces?
    So they may last a long time, but you wont be stopping particularly quick?

Militant_biker

A friend got some Ti rotors cut by some dude he knew with all the CNC toys in a workshop. Said it really didn’t work very well at all.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do tell…

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I do love a sprinkle of ‘Bling’ (more roadie bling tbh) but one can over egg the pudding; for once I’m actually turned off by the aesthetic…insipid, dull and ‘vegetablesque’ spring to my mind ❓

Macavity
    Free Member

The thermal conductivity of titanium is nearly as poor as stainless steel.

stayhigh

so titanium is a bit of a no no as far as rotors are concerned?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Titanium disc rotors’ is closed to new replies.