Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Titanium cross bikes
  • robbie
    Free Member

Guys I’m looking to build a ti crosser. Having looked I can see the options are
    Van Nicholas
    Lynskey
    One one pickenflick
    Does anyone know of any other frames available off the shelf or custom?
    Cheers

m0rk
    Free Member

Enigma?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Planet-X do a racey version of the Pickenflick too, the typhoon.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oxym0r0n

If you happy with single ring upfront, I’ve been impressed with my Charge Plug ti. Picked up 3 top 5s on the road on Strava today too 😳

robbie
    Free Member

Cheers guys. cant find any reviews for the typhoon not sure if much different from the pickenflick.
    Any more?

RoterStern
    Free Member

If money is no object there is always Seven. Or my LBS have started stocking these .
    Firefly who apparently used to be part of Indy Fab so I have been told.

petec
    Free Member

if we’re talking money no object then the broken arrow. Made by the people from Serotta.

lovely bikes, all of them

breninbeener

Have you checked Moots?

senorj

Maybe I dreamed it, but I’m sure I saw a genesis CDf in titanium.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ti CdF here.

More of a tourer/gnarmac bike than a proper crosser, though.

Potdog
    Free Member

How about the Kingdom Beam
    Beam CX Bike
    Great service and although I haven’t tried the Beam, the Hex and the Vendetta are great bikes too.

frankconway

Justin Burls – uk custom frames.

rlo80
    Free Member

Defo Kingdom Beam…you can see the amazing craftsmanship on the frames and the best customer service!
    I have a Hex frame for sale (here and Pinkbike) that is the most amazing bike to look and ride.

TiRed

Charge Freezer Ti if you can find one. Personally I’d go for moots, but have a. Charge Freezer bought used.

piemonster

This thread needs more photos

John_Key
    Free Member

I have a lynskey Cooper cross bike which was has been great. Owned it for 5-6 years and very impressed with it. Good quality Ti and a reasonable price

scotroutes

OK – My Amazon (at Johnstons Bridge in the Pentlands)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ag1tDz]IMAG0269[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Robbie, when I was looking last Autumn, I saw a nice Kinesis Ti CX frame. I also recall that they do something called a ‘Tripster’ which is a sort of ‘do it all’ CX bike.

I also looked at the On One Typhoon which was also damn nice. In the end, I could only afford a Pickenflick, which turned out to be awesome. I recall that the Typhoon is made from triple butted 3Al/2.5V tubing, so compared to the Pickenflick, which sounds a bit ‘plain-gauge’ when you tap the tubes, it’s about 150grams lighter. Same brilliant forks on both though.

Typical of Planet X’s ‘schizophrenic’ websites, the Typhoon isn’t listed on the On One website, but is listed on the Planet X website, hence why you might not have found it.

My Pickenflick replaced a decent aluminium alloy CX frame, and the difference was very noticeable: more responsive, soaked up bumps better, huge tyre clearance (can run 45mm tyres), and having PM mounts F&R was a revelation, especially with Hope X2 calipers. The only problem with the Pickenflick is that it uses sh**ty integral headsets, i.e. the ones where you drop the bearing directly into the headtube, as opposed to pressing in cups that have actually been machined to a proper specification 😉

Here’s mine the morning after the 3 Peaks:

DezB
    Free Member

This is what i’d get if i dint have the Tripster
    http://www.whycycles.com/our-bikes/rcycle/

robbie
    Free Member

Thanks guys lots of suggestions.
    Diskjockey cheers for the info on the planet x bikes.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Are you after a CX race bike with minimal clearance and a high bottom bracket?

Or a do-it all roadish geo, all road, gravel bike that will fit a decent size tyre and rack mounts?

I wanted the latter, and got a Charge Plug 5 Ti frame ex-demo.

2017 Plug 5

Its double butted so a step up from the plain janes.

It isn’t a CX race bike geo (but it could be used for that).

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Sonder Camino ti?

robbie
    Free Member

Planet X again!!
    Typhoon frame and fork £1200
    buy Seperate
    Frame £800
    Fork £150
    Am I missing something here?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Try Travers.
    He could do custom also for a little more.
    Thanks,
    Max

ds3000
    Free Member

I just acquired a Lynskey Cooper cx from the company’s eBay shop over here in trumpland. Got some China carbon wheels on the way too (Donald wouldn’t approve, I’m sure). No single speed options, so it’ll be my first geared bike in years, thinking 1x whatever is cheapest.

I’ll update on progress.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

As a few have mentioned, I have the Genesis Croix de Fer ti, really nice frame with great tyre clearance.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Robbie, are you after a cross* bike or an adventure** bike? They are two very different bike styles.

*commonly known as a cyclocross bike, and aimed at cyclocross racers.

**also know as…gravel bike, all road bike, off road tourer, the list is endless. These are more like beefed up road/tourers with clearance for larger tyres etc.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Am I missing something here?

No it is quite normal for planet x to confuse you into buying something.

Maybe the people looking to buy a f&f are willing to pay moe than frame only or fork only?

sq225917
    Free Member

No, it’s just a pricing mistake. Pre brexit price on the individual items, grab em while you can.

robbie
    Free Member

It is a cross race bike I’m looking for. Thinking I will go for the planet x typhoon but can’t find any reviews on it?

turneround

I actually put a down payment on a moots route (having a custom vamoots cr and now a mootox) then I though this is nuts zero the frame is going to take a bashing from bike bags, I’ll be commuting in it and I can build a cheaper frame with top end parts for the price of a moots frame.

I went for a croix Der Fer ti, built her up with xtr/ Dura ace, king / stans wheels, woodchippers, king ti cages etc. Just did a century ride on her today and was out yesterday riding singletrack (I change out the wheels). Cracking bike, supa comfy and versatile. Glad I didn’t go for the route…

traversbikes
    Free Member

I am the owner of Travers Bikes down in Essex and we produce a Titanium cross/gravel bike called the Travers DIRTi. Its available off the shelf or bespoke, frame only or complete bike.

themilo
    Free Member

Just had a look at Travers site – think I’m going to wet myself………….

cloudnine
    Free Member

This thread is full of win.
    Some lovely bikes..

i_like_food

I’ve got a Lynsky Cooper Cx. It’s an older one (canti brakes) and it’s 99% used for winter road bike duties. It’s mega comfortable but it absolutely hates going round corners.

+1 for the Burls custom suggestion, MrsLikeFood has one and loves it and dealing with Justin was easy and confidece-inspiring.

rewski
    Free Member

If I didn’t have a Tripster and more £££ I go custom Firefly, Enigma or Reilly.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Here’s my Travers DRITi with a Lauf Grit fork

Had an Felt CX and a full carbon CX before this but this is so much nicer to ride, it’s in a different league for sure

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Titanium cross bikes’ is closed to new replies.