Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)
  • Titanium Bikes…
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve never owned a titanium bike but have always quite liked the idea of one as a bike for long-time ownership.
    Once the new Singular Pegasus is released, I think I’ll be splashing out on one 😀

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m not yet convinced enough about belt drives to have one on my own bike…

Oh, you want a pic of my OTHER bike then?

🙂

ir-b, is that a Jannd bag on your on-1

Yes. ygm in a minute…

ir_bandito, was it you that had an e-stay belt drive frame made in Ti?

No, that was Ade Ward

somafunk

I will/am/is at some point Ben, i was up in Glasgow last month at Oran Mor for Graeme Obree’s 20th anniversay of his hr record talk thing (which was very good) and i thought i left Kirkcudbright in plenty of time to get up to your shop and drop the frame off then head along to Oran Mor but i didn’t plan on being stuck in traffic at the Ayr roundabouts for over an hr which by the time i reached your shop it was shut, i didn’t fancy leaving the frame outside so next time i have an excuse to head up to the big city i’ll drop it in.

I’m sure Uri Geller could pass his hand over it and straighten it out 😀

The top tube may be reusable? – i dunno?.

Top Tube : True Temper OX Platinum 07
    Down Tube : True Temper OX Platinum 10
    Seat Tube : Columbus Life (i think?)

cookeaa

Is having a ti bike really worth it?

Nah, probably not, but then it’s not a pure practicality VFM based buying decission is it?

I don’t really want one personally, I find steel frames can be quite nice, and if I want a light bike I’d look at Aluminium or Carbon, but that’s just be being boring and practical…

I can at least see the appeal of Ti…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

CheesyBeanz – that is quite stunning.

CheesybeanZ

An other thing with a Ti frame you get to meet really nice people like Mark at Enigma 😳

sobriety
    Free Member

Somafunk, how on earth did you do that, and is that blood?

brassneck

I reckon he hit Jens Voigt 🙂

wheelie

Is the ride of the ti Cotic Soda that much different to the Steel Soul?
    I picked up a secondhand Soda mk2 and wondered if it was worth doin a frame swap.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Finished my Van Nicholas Redwood a few days ago 🙂 took a while as only bought parts when i saw them cheap 🙂 not really sure what it is, but its fun to ride haha! Let me know what you think 🙂 cost £1606 in total! [/url] Finished bike with costs by lewismorgan10, on Flickr[/img]

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

worth it? are you really using the word justify?
    shame on you.
    this is a mountain bike forum, not penny pinchers annonymous.

ti full sus – yes, the ibis bowTi probably couldnt have been built out of much else, five inches of travel in the frame, no pivots. Aside from this i cant think the application of ti on a sus frame works econmically. but it could still be, and has been, done – – see above.

EDIT: owner of 3 ti bikes

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Let me know what you think

honestly?

Fugly. You’d have got better bargains going second-hand…

Kryton57

ir_bandito – Member
    honestly?

You built it purely by the sense of touch – right?

lewismorgan
    Free Member

bit harsh? Didn’t think it was that bad…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

bit harsh? Didn’t think it was that bad…

I think its the mix of the Niner forks, with the shiny silver frame and components, and then the brown leather saddle and grips (I’ll leave the pedals out for now). Purely cosmetically, nothing blends. I’m sure the ride is just fine, maybe its the camera angle too, but it looks like it needs a basket on the front…

mt
    Free Member

wheelie – Member
    “Is the ride of the ti Cotic Soda that much different to the Steel Soul?
    I picked up a secondhand Soda mk2 and wondered if it was worth doin a frame swap. “

Yes but it depends on which Soul frame. 27.2 seat pin soul (mk 2?) way better than new soul due to bigger seat pin, it seems to have lost it’s essential soulness. Soda does not have the steel spring feel but it does give a great ride and is lighter and wants to be ridden faster. I ride both and love them but love the Soda tinsey bit more.

shuhockey
    Free Member

DSC03075 by Shuhockey, on Flickr
    Ridgeback FlightTi with Drops, commute every day, sportives, Snow, Club runs. What more could I want, apart from carbon….

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’ve never once regretted spending far more than I coud afford at the time on a custom Ti frame from Dean. It may be 7 years old now but at the 24-12 it still made perfect sense.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I think you could buy a decent second-hand runaround for £1606.

ajantom

Not sure about full-sus, but titanium is perfect for softails. No pivots, and a simple air shock, gives 35mm of travel – enough to iron out little bumps, and make it comfy all day long.

billyboulders
    Free Member

I think you should ignore ’em lewismorgan. Go and ride your bike, if you come home smiling, which I’m sure you will, then you are the winner 🙂

(I like the brown saddle too BTW) 😉

doom_mountain

I had a Ti frame because I’d always wanted one.
    Unfortunately it broke, I now have a steel frame and actually prefer the ride, both have very similar geometry.
    I wouldn’t buy another Ti mtb frame, but I’d quite like a disc tourer…

I did love the look of the Ti frame, always cleaned up nice and no paint to scratch!

rewski
    Free Member

New generation Ti, tapered head tube, chunky brake mounts, bolt thru axle and direct mount rear mech.

somafunk

Short answer?…SingleSpeed World Champs @ Aviemore 2007, whisky may have had a small part to play, unmarked road/streetworks in Aviemore, out on late night bike run wi others, hit unfinished bench at speed, snapped frame, broke face/nose,broke 2 teeth,night in raigmore hospital, out next morning and borrowed a very rigid pace RC200 bike from martinxyz (of fat tread bikes at the time) that prob did me more damage to ride that morning than the actual crash did.

Yeah, it was my blood….

I hit these bars at speed and landed on my face, it was not cordoned off or any warning tape but when i went along the next day it had been taped off and the generator placed on top to stop folk walking into it.

All sorted now though wi 3 new implanted teeth at the front and two nose jobs to reconstruct my nasal passages 😀 , I asked the surgeon for a brad pitt facial makeover at the time but they refused.

Right…time for a bike run (with teeth and nose intact)

mt
    Free Member

wow and you rode a an RC200 the next day. Tough guy.

scotroutes

I like Ti.

P1010623 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

mangatank
    Free Member

Woah! My eyes!

Strip out the colour: Get silver Hope spacers and a silver seatpost and clamp (alloy goes really well with ti). Get silver bars if you can (Ritchey Classics are cheap at wiggle right now), and replace the grips with standard black ones or road bike bar tape to match the saddle colour. Ideally replace the (admittedly nice) saddle with a black one and run black grips.

Pedals…Hessian sack. Bricks. Canal.

Doing all that will make those nice forks really pop. It’ll look great!

mangatank
    Free Member

Yeah, it was my blood….

Not sure I need to see such a graphic image frankly 😐

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’m selling my beloved Merlin Works 4.0, just in case anyone reading this is interested – and yes, it’s a ti full suspension frame…!

18.75″, 100mm travel. £950 for the frame including Fox shock, seat clamp and Thomson Masterpiece seatpost. Email in profile.

scotroutes

camwba96
    Free Member

Anyone got a more normal looking van nicholas redwood 29er?

somafunk

I’m surprised there’s not been a Jones posted up on this thread yet?, You don’t see them for ages and then three turn up all at once, with a sulking soulcraft (intact) pinned behind them.

If you get the chance to inspect a genuine “Jones” (built by jeff) then have a good look at the welding and run your fingernail over it – amazing things of beauty despite what some folk may say but like some forms of art not everyone “gets it” first time.

If i could afford one, i’d have one, but i can’t, so i shan’t.

mt
    Free Member

They really are lovely!

TrevorB

I love mine and I don’t feel the need to justify it.

Sorry can’t get the link to work 😳

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Oh – alright then 😉

mangatank
    Free Member

Bizarre. How does it…work?

And the bars look very narrow near the controls. How do you find them?

tmb467
    Free Member

Love.That.Jones

If i could afford one, i’d have one, but i can’t, so i shan’t.

Me too

amplebrew

I’ve had a few titanium bikes over the years and I wouldn’t say they rode any better than the steel, carbon and aluminium bikes I’ve owned.

My Dekerf and Jones are both steel and amazing; each with their own individual character.

I do love the look and finish on a titanium frame though and go proper gooey over a nice weld 😀

I’m just getting this built up at the mo…..

This one by Ample Brew, on Flickr

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’m beyond blown away by new Kinesis Tripster ATR. Having had an alloy one for a few years and thought a lot of it (and done lots of miles on it too) I was keen to get a Ti one and it’s far better than I’d expected.

Much faster, more comfortable, more sprightly, holds it speed better, quiet, beautifully built. Other than that, it’s not that special 8)

My mountain bike (that I’m embarrassed to say, hasn’t been out of the garage since I got the Tripster) is a Mk1 Lynskey Ti456. It’s not snapped, it gets me out of all sorts of bother, is kind of comfy, light, responsive, solid and agile all at the same time. Even though it’s a five year old frame, it’s built with ‘current’ kit – new 150mm Sektors, XT/XTR 10spd double, Arch EX/EvoII tubeless. Probably not a bike for life, but it more than holds its own and bears testimony to a very good design.

I’ve had / got carbon, steel, alloy bikes and they’ve all got their advantages, but at the moment, I’m quite enjoying matching the bolts in my head with my bike frames… 😉

noteeth
    Free Member

I’d probably sell my soul for a Bontrager Ti, not sure.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Titanium Bikes…’ is closed to new replies.