Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Tired babies
  • mtbfix

Why do tired babies not just fall asleep? Baby Mtbfixlette is a good kiddy on the whole but it confuses me why they just cry and get more and more cranky when they get tired rather than just putting their heads down. Oh well, sh'e gone to sleep now at least.

wwaswas

My son was ace at this.

the day after he was born he screamed so much in the hospital that the midwives took him upto intensive care, gave him oxygen and had him examined to see what was wrong.

There was nothing wrong, he just screamed a lot when he was tired.

It rather set the tone for the next year of his (and my) life 🙁

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It is odd – I think it is simply frustration as they feel tired so they are not feeling 100% but don't understand *how* to go to sleep. We found a good routine helps.

Of course there are the other times when you desperately try to make them stay awake (ie an hour before their bedtime when they should be feeding or whatever) but they can fall asleep without even trying.

Odd little things aren't they?

nonk
    Free Member

ours liked loads of noise when they would get wrung out like that.
    put the hoover on or loud music..out like a light.

mtbfix

They are all mentalists

Drac

Yup funny little buggers when they refuse to go to sleep, now my eldest refuses as she's watching bloody dancing on ice shite. She know how to record it too when we do send her, luckily she hasn't worked out how to get it back up to play.

uplink
    Free Member

similar to wwaswas
    one of ours cried so much in the hours after being born that the midwives took her away to the nursery so that my wife could get some rest

Who_else
    Free Member

It's what babies do and it's what babies have always done and is what babies will continue to do. As soon as you learn to accept that your life will become easier. There is no magic bullet when it comes to baby behaviour, regardless of what people may tell you.

wwaswas

With our second one the midwife from the next room came in after she was born to ask us to keep her quiet as the screaming was disturbing someone else's labour.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Our 7 month old just doesn't seem to like sleeping at all despite a rigid bedtime routine 🙁

yossarian
    Free Member

babies LIKE crying

Drac

It's funny our eldest hardly every cried as a baby, would go to sleep with no prompt when she was ready. But of course it's not true. 🙄

uplink
    Free Member

Mind you – my 18yr old seems to cry more now than she ever did as a baby 🙂

sssimon
    Free Member

think we've lucked out, 7 month old boy who sleeps through most night with just a few minutes to get him back over a couple of times a night

but the temper he has when he need to sleep and can't get over is amazing how loud he is and how red his face gets

mtbfix

Of course the great plus with getting tiny babies to sleep, aside from an hour of peace, is the smile they give you when they wake up and see you as if for the first time. I'll never get tired of seeing that.

molgrips
    Free Member

It's cos babies are stupid little buggers!

PS ssimon – that could change at any moment as they develop 🙂

Drac

think we've lucked out, 7 month old boy who sleeps through most night with just a few minutes to get him back over a couple of times a night

6 weeks old for both ours before they hit there 12 hours asleep per night pattern, only a handful of times each have the woken up and they're now 3 and 6.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Of course the great plus with getting tiny babies to sleep, aside from an hour of peace, is the smile they give you when they wake up and see you as if for the first time. I'll never get tired of seeing that.

With with that absolutely 100% And when I get home from work too. I am especially lucky as we have two 7 months olds so I get it twice over.

Ours too generally sleep through – in bed for 7.30pm and normally wake at about 6.30am but are happy chatting until we go in for them at 7am. We do have some more active nights, but it is normally only because one of them has rolled over and got stuck or has lost a dummy or something (one has a dummy, the other doesn't).

DaRC_L

So everyone here always goes to bed when they're tired?
    Also they never get a boost of energy when over-tired but it comes with crankiness attached?

No one stays up to complete the game / watch the film / keep drinking / finish the book / ride for 24 hours

sssimon
    Free Member

molgrips- well aware of that and stocking up on sleep now!

that smile is awesome though mtbfix ………

teagirl
    Free Member

With young babies, just wrap them up so they can't get their arms out, just as they are in t'womb, makes 'em feel secure. Swaddling!

Gordy
    Free Member

Gotta be a chemical thing, I think. Say X is released into the bloodstream when fatigued. Then imagine X also makes it hard to calm the hell down and get some kip.

Timing is key. :O)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Tired babies’ is closed to new replies.