Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Tired at start of rides
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Went out today and felt knackered for the first 5 or 6 miles, nothing in my legs. Had a mech hanger snap (again) so only ended up doing 14 miles. Sat at home now and feel 100% and like I haven’t even been out, why am I so slow to get going?

dawson

Had a decent breakfast?

Were you on the ale last night?

Well rested?

As I have got older, I definitely need rest days through the week.

It can also take me a few miles to get going, so just take it steady knowing that I should be ok once warmed up

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Just a banana.

Yes.

Had a good 3 days since last ride and had 8 hours kip.

I do notice if I ride into the peaks from home, about 4 miles I feel great once I’m there, but if I drive like today I struggle going straight into big climbs etc.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jodafett

Do you drive to where you ride or do you leave from the house? I have to drive to my nearest trails so dont get a warm up. The first climb is a killer but find the second lap’s easier (getting fitter also helps!)

Edit. Too slow!

simondbarnes

This is easily solved by riding from your house rather than driving 4 miles first. I don’t think anyone feels great starting a ride from cold with big climbs and living so close to the trails you have the perfect way to avoid this.

crazy-legs

Yeah, warm up needed!

I often feel terrible for the first few miles of a ride, fortunately I know how it will generally pan out and just have to accept riding like a donkey for the first 15 minutes.

A good breakfast helps but not immediately before heading out otherwise you’ll feel even worse!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Cheers, think eating properly will help. Sometimes I have to drive to the trails just for time purposes.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think it can just take a while for the muscles and cardiovascular system to get up to speed. When I played rugby, I used to feel like I was dying for the first 15 minutes, but come the end of the game could have happily played another 20. Not sure how it translates to the bike for me as I’m not very fit these days so it hurts from start to finish.

kayak23

A few car park lunges are the key.
    🙂

Takes me ages too straight into a climb.

nwill1
    Free Member

I find it takes a good while to warm up…I often start a ride and think…I’m going to struggle today but after a good 30 minutes 1 hour I can climb much better than at the start of a ride.

anagallis_arvensis

Just a banana.

🙄

Eat a proper bloody breakfast!

scotroutes

nwill1 – Member
    I find it takes a good while to warm up

This has always been the case for me and it has got longer as I’ve got older.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

So the real reason is I’m getting old, great.

kcal

I also can find that if I’m anxious or mentally on edge, it can be a while before the ride has the right effect, purge the bad thoughts out and slow me to enjoy the ride..

DickBarton

Warm up and a decent feed are the key things here…definitely make a huge beneficial difference.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Wrong thread

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I used to do a route that started with a massive hill, the (one weird) trick to it was to just set off real slow and gentle.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’ve noticed the older I get, the longer it takes too get going. Younger people in the group go on the b of bang, takes me a few miles.
    So yeah, your old. Deal with it 😀

superjohn71
    Free Member

Takes me ages to warm up for a ride as well, on a road ride sometimes 10 miles or so. It’s an age thing.

TheSanityAssassin

It can take me ages to warm up these days. I spent a week in Mallorca recently and had this same conversation with a riding pal. I actually said that it felt like one of those days where it was going to take me 50 miles before my legs started working properly. I was more or less bang-on with that prediction too. Stomped up Puig Major on the big ring and towed the group all the way home afterwards, feeling strong as an ox. Man, know thyself.

colournoise

47 and finding similar. First 45 minutes or so of a ride are usually hard work (mostly breathing-wise – HR nothing exceptional and legs just a little heavy), but then I’m usually good for the rest of any length ride.
    Not sure whether this is age, fitness or a touch of exercise-induced asthma?

Have noticed though, that as I’ve got to the end of my first ever 8 week TrainerRoad programme that things feel like they’ve got a bit easier at the start of a ride and I get up to speed a bit quicker.

nwill1
    Free Member

At Llandegla I normally do the Blue route before the Black just for some extra fun I find doing the 3 mile climb at the strat the first time harder than the 2nd, it takes 25 minutes…you’d thinking would be easier with fresh legs but it’s easier after 6 miles of riding!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Old cars take a long time to warm up,then there fine.I seem to be heading the same way.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep proper breakfast, and in some ways look at what you eat the night before – that is what is really fueling you.
    Then life means you need longer to warm up the longer it goes, if you ride the 4 miles in then you will just have 4 miles warming up on dull roads and make the ride loner for nothing interesting. Just try and vary food and start slow – the phrase it’s not a race helps to your mates some days

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Normally takes me a bit to get started. I think it’s called a ‘second wind’. A decent breakfast and get well hydrated an hour or so before you get out.

Don’t be that guy doing lunges in Lycra in the car park.

Haze

Same, warm up…things get noticeably better for me after around 40 minutes.

survivor

Come on this thread needs to die off.

Man doesn’t eat breakfast. Man drinks booze night before. Man hits big hill straight out the bag and wonders why it’s hard work.

🙄

BadlyWiredDog

Turbo trainer in the car park before starting ride. Do some gentle spinning followed by a few hard efforts. Then you can load it all back into the van/car and head home. Sorted.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Wonder if a cold shower un the morning would make much difference?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Tired at start of rides’ is closed to new replies.