Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Tips to get a teething infant to sleep.
  • jekkyl

My 16 month old infant has 4 massive chewing teeth coming through and it’s causing everyone in the house upset over sleeping. Her current favourite method of trying to go to sleep is standing up and shouting her **** head off until someone comes along and gives her a kiss and a shush and lays her back down. Wait 5 seconds and she stands up again and commences once more with the screaming her **** head off.
    The wife and I are at our wits end as we’re so tired. Sometimes either of us have to sit up with her in the early hours until she drops back off. We’re at each other’s throats and both finding work a struggle as we’re so tired.
    Our first daughter was fine, little did we know at the time how easy she was.
    Any tips anyone?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Whoops ..
    Try driving her around in a well lit place with street lights ..that used to work for me + an ice cold teething ring

SaxonRider

Do you have any scruples about paracetemol? If not, I would administer ibuprofen, and then, half an hour later, give some paracetemol.

Then, while being willing to pop your head in the room every 15 minutes or so to assure her she hasn’t been abandoned and is still loved, let her scream herself to sleep.

I know it sounds harsh, but it is advice we were given with our first, and after our eighth, have to say that it served us well.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gin.

lesgrandepotato

Gummy rub. Bit of a firm rub for a moment or two where they are a coming through. Worked for our lad and gave him some relief after the initial discomfort.

That and the magic calpol child fixing medicine

nixie

No tips but got the same issue with our youngest and a premolar. looking forward to another fantastic nights sleep 🙄

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I’m sure I read somewhere that an adult couldn’t handle the pain of teething.

Anyhoo, our health visitors advice was to turn the monitor down and have a glass of wine. Her point (i think) was to look after yourselves, as in time this too shall pass.

Oh, and Calpol.

jekkyl

Woe betide the father who asks to go cycling leaving his tired wife looking after a screaming infant. 🙁

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Teething gel

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

Anbesol from Boots was a lifesaver. I do remember using ibuprofen to help him sleep when it was v bad.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just simply drive around in the car while while she screams. That always worked for us when my (now) 30 yr old was teething.
    Pissed the neighbours off that we left him alone in the house at night though, screaming like a banshee! 🙂

twicewithchips
    Free Member

oof. schoolboy error that one jekkyl. Can you cycle to work instead or something?

Oh, and I’m not sure I’d have had enough sleep to reliably select “Anbesol” from the shelf!

grahamt1980

Alternating calpol and baby neurofen at 2 hour intervals.
    It might not work but it’s probably your best shot

SaxonRider

Teething gel

I’ve heard that teething gel represents a choking hazard because it numbs the gag reflex if ingested at all. Consequently, we never used it.

Having said so, they probably wouldn’t sell it if it was that serious a threat.

jsync

Have you tried the teething powders? I’m pretty sure you can use calpol etc with them. Imagine severe tooth ache without being able to understand what it is and how to resolve it / communicate the problem. I’m sure you have thought that but it’s always best to remember that when stressed/ tired as they haven’t learnt to be arses yet….

ceepers

Calpol and ibuprofen syrup as above and piriton which has a sedative effect

DickBarton

Ashton & Parsons powders…for the baby.

DickBarton

So good, it was posted twice.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Esselgrunt…
    That’s brilliant .. 😆

hot_fiat

What Graham and Saxonrider said. A mix of paracetamol & ibuprofen works pretty well. Its officially against current advice as you’re meant to choose one & stick with it. Prior to that I’ve been advised to do it on both of ours by a couple of doctors & its exactly what i do to myself when I feel like crap.

Frozen teethers also work pretty well if its obvious where the pain is from. If you’ve not got one, a frozen camelback tube might help for tonight?

Spread bonjela on the teethers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

this and some teething powder but dint expect it to make life wonderful again
    You have my sympathies

mechanicaldope

Ashton & Parsons powders. Don’t know what the hell is in it but seems to make a difference. Feel really sorry for the poor buggers. The amount teething mucks around with them is mental. Make sure that you keep right on top of nappy changes as their shit amd piss seems to get even more corrosive than usual. The only times we struggled with nappy rash was when ours were teething.

andyrm
    Free Member

Nelson’s powders with alternating calpol and liquid ibuprofen.

Also keep an eye on little one’s temperature as they tend to get hot partially from teething and partially from the exertion of crying.

I took on most of the night wake ups as I can function better than the Mrs on little sleep, both physically and emotionally, and just ran on a shitload of really strong coffee and fast paced riding to & from work to mentally reset from it all.

It’s a phase, it passes, remember that it’s a temporary thing with a finite conclusion – that makes it much easier to deal with.

Good luck!

brakes
    Free Member

no pudding?

jamj1974

Best thing we did was to rub part of the carpool dose into the gum around the emerging teeth and then give the rest of the dose as normal. Worked really well. As also said above, nappy changes are also very important – when teething, their poo seems particularly hard on the skin.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

Chewing on a frozen carrot can help numb the gums and help the teeth break through.
    Obvs no good while asleep though.

Despite the risk of sounding like a hippie a few drops of lavender oil on the pillow helps them into a deeper sleep, might help

jekkyl

This is baby Lucy just now, I don’t think we’re getting any sleep tonight. This video is contraception.
    [video]https://youtu.be/5tijjaiFrcM[/video]

bodgy
    Free Member

I always found that getting really pissed and putting ear plugs in did the job.

Failing that, Calpol & Ibupropol rotation, and a nice comfy bouncy baby chair near the XBOX.

dogmatix

Some form of freezable toothing ring will certainly help short term, I once has a wisdom tooth that inverted in to my jaw nerve and it was amazing what ice cubes could do till the surgeon was available, It took me from on my knees pass out pain to nothing. I went through a huge pack in one night, problem was every time a cube had finished melting I was jolted awake with pain. Obviously, ice is dangerous, but a frozen toothing ring will help reduce the inflammation. As mentioned rotating kids paracetamol and ibuprofen is the best longer term option. Hope you find a solution.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Tips to get a teething infant to sleep.’ is closed to new replies.