• This topic has 53 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mrwillcube-spam.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Tips please – All day tattoo session…
  • dmck16
    Free Member

Going in for an all day session tomorrow.

Any hints or tips to make it more enjoyable would be much appreciated 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

10 beers beforehand.

BillOddie

Take snacks and something to read.

wwaswas

Eat well before the start. Keep grazing during the day. Drink full fat coke.

I found watching what they were doing was easier – you could see when a line was going to finish so how long it was going to be uncomfortable for.

BoardinBob

I’ve done a 6 hour session in one go. Fell asleep. In fact I’ve fallen asleep every time I’ve had a tattoo. Tremendously relaxing and not painful in the slightest for me.

wwaswas

not painful in the slightest for me.

😯

I felt like they were doing the outline with a Stanley knife!

mrjmt
    Free Member

I find it really depends on the area, an inch either way can make the difference between not feeling much or it feeling like a hot blade being dragged through your skin.

For all day session, as above, plenty of snacks and water. Don’t worry about asking to get up to stretch your legs, the artist would much rather you were comfy and therefore still when they need you to be. Oh, and stay relaxed!
    I’ve had a few all day sessions including ribs / chest. Most important thing I found was to stay really relaxed. The last couple of hours was always the worst. Oh and the wiping. God please stop the wiping…

BoardinBob

polar opposite for me. I can feel it a wee bit more around the wrist and elbow but never what I’d describe as sore

willstaffs
    Free Member

I listen to music, make sure you have full fat coke or sugary tea, I was white as a ghost after 3 hours on my ribs!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Start an STW tattoo thread then sit back, they’re sometimes quite fun for the neutral spectator. (I don’t post on them because I don’t have any tattoos, so I don’t have anything relevant to contribute, but I do enjoy reading them and seeing the pictures).

hammyuk
    Free Member

Watch a dvd, tv, etc.
    Guy I use does this – his or one you feel like at the time.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Take something to read/watch/listen to: those who’re into tattoos are often quite vacuous/hard of thinking, I doubt you’ll get any good conversation.

ratherbeintobago

Ametop definitely won’t last that long.

revs1972
    Free Member

Take something to read/watch/listen to: those who’re into tattoos are often quite vacuous/hard of thinking, I doubt you’ll get any good conversation.

Utter tosh

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Utter tosh

IME they tend to talk about two things:

The gym
    Cars, or more recently, modified vans.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’m surprised that took two posts 😆

I’ve never had one take more than a couple of hours but I’m in the find it relaxing camp.

The first ten minutes tend to be a bit sore but I tend to relax after that.

fadda

I went for mine (ended up at 9 hours) armed with books and music, but ended up chatting to the interesting and entertaining tattooist the whole time.

So I’d disagree with the above.

bigjim

Start an STW tattoo thread then sit back, they’re sometimes quite fun for the neutral spectator. (I don’t post on them because I don’t have any tattoos, so I don’t have anything relevant to contribute, but I do enjoy reading them and seeing the pictures).

+1 brings out the worst of both ‘sides’ really

a friend had a 6.5 hr session the other week and went armed with kindle etc but in the end she just sat and watched.

hammyuk
    Free Member

dtf with yet another scintillating answer as always to a subject he has little or no knowledge of….

if that is what you believe to be the truth about a skilled artist then I hope the one you may have visited was in a back alley somewhere rather than the intelligent, published and sought after guys and gals I know and have used.
    FYI – one is an internationally renowned illustrator of both adult and children’s books, another has an IQ over 145, another has been paid to visit over 35 countries to show and discuss her art, techniques, etc so stick that in your pipe and choke on it.

wwaswas

dtf with yet another scintillating answer

although it’s pretty clear these days when he’s just trolling to get a response 😉

mcnultycop

4 hours is my max to date and that was enough, I thought, but I’ve got a full day lined up in March.

My tattooist us an ace bloke so we talk about space, music, physics, bikes etc. Don’t drink the day before, plenty of water and food to keep you going. A lift home could be a good idea, the pain usually catches up with me on the hour long drive home.

Luckily I broke my arm, so the last one I took a preemptive codeinehat I had left which helped. Other painkillers like paracetamol can thin the blood so aren’t recommended.

Pics when it’s done.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sorry, someone had to start it. Tattoo threads just aren’t the same without Shibboleth…

I actually love tattoos; they make people you’d normally consider “middle of the road” loads more interesting/appealing.

Robz
    Free Member

I regularly travel to Denmark to get tattooed. I usually do 7 hours at a time (on my ribs/back) to make the most of the trip. It hurts. A lot.

I find sugary food and drinks consumed throughout the session really help, as does a combo of co codamol and ibuprofen during the later stages.

wwaswas

they make people you’d normally consider “middle of the road” loads more interesting/appealing.

oink1
    Free Member

Just done a 4h session before Christmas (was getting a bit hurty by the end!) I just spent it listening to the music in the studio & chatting to the artist (really nice lady – qualified probate & will solicitor, gave it up to follow her dreams I guess and has her own studio attached to her house!) 😀 Good luck OP, pics after! Don’t tap out!! Plus one for a tatt thread.

OCB
    Free Member

I always seem to manage to get a bit of a cat-nap in somewhere along the way.

I certainly like a good quality, long nights sleep before hand, and very definitely for a few nights afterwards. Avoid alcohol before having it done, and keep topped up with water / simple good quality food during the session.

Ask for a bit of a break if you need one rather than fidget / get stiff – I always ask my tattooist if he’d like a quick bit of a break too if he looks like he needs one, or has been going a while.

Going over my collar bone was the only place that caused me to jump a bit, my ribs / elbows seemed to be ok?

I could be making this up, but I don’t know that caffeinated drinks are a good idea immediately before / during either (are they?).

legend
    Free Member

although it’s pretty clear these days when he’s just trolling to get a response

Apparently not to the hard of thinking 😉

oink1
    Free Member

OCB – Member

Going over my collar bone was the only place that caused me to jump a bit, my ribs / elbows seemed to be ok?

YES!!! Makes your brain rattle! 😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

In all honesty, people with tattoos are often more open minded and friendly.

RickDraper
    Free Member

dmck16 tomorrow:

tazzymtb

Collar bone was cheeky, armpit was a bit grim, Nipple was a laugh (in a kind of “oh my bloody giddy aunt” kind if way) and Strangely just had a bit over 2 ribs that really knackered.

I’ve always just chatted, watched, whimpered quietly depending. Hours and hours of black….it was like a sketch from the fast show

oink1
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member
    Collar bone was cheeky, armpit was a bit grim, Nipple was a laugh (in a kind of “oh my bloody giddy aunt” kind if way) and Strangely just had a bit over 2 ribs that really knackered.

I’ve always just chatted, watched, whimpered quietly depending. Hours and hours of black…

I find the block colour the worst! 😯

dmck16
    Free Member

This is bloody agony…

jekkyl

that’s the price for art.

honourablegeorge

Still no pictures.

dmck16
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member
    Still no pictures

Still in the chair, no messing around 😆

EDIT: Sorry, should’ve mentioned it’s a back piece.

CountZero

davidtaylforth – Member

Well, while I’m perfectly happy to talk to just about anyone on a whole range of subjects, in your case I’d rather sit and watch paint drying, it’ll be a more scintillating conversationalist.

oink1
    Free Member

Still no pics from OP??

legend
    Free Member

The longer he takes the more awkward it is to say it looks shit…..

P.S. Loving that folk are still getting upset 🙂 good work DTF

BigDummy
    Free Member

I spent very happy 4-hour stretches talking to the lad who did my back, but as other have said, I find it pretty relaxing for the most part.

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Tips please – All day tattoo session…’ is closed to new replies.