Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tips on how to undo a really stubborn big nut please…
  • swisstony
    Free Member

Trying to replace a rear hub on my car but i can't get the nut on the end of the stub axle off.

It's not corroded or anything, i've sprayed it with WD40, i'm using a very long bar on the wrench and a lot of brute force but it just won't budge,

any tips?

ta

Hairychested
    Free Member

Tap it with a hammer so micro-cracks begin to appear? Works more often than it should.

Elmo
    Free Member

Which side? What car?

Check the haynes site for a manual.

They are done up FT. But it may be that depending on the side it may not be anti-clockwise to undo.
    Bit like the pedals on your bike.

geoffj

Heat

swisstony
    Free Member

will try the tap,

NSR Alfa GTV no manual

checked the thread and it's a 'normal' one

gusamc
    Free Member

could try soaking in plus gas or another releasing oil

make a reservoir of plasticine/plastic bag/zipppy clips etc etc and soak overnight.

I was told (rightly or wrongly) that when soaking you should tap with a hammer every so often to encourage penetration …..

wwaswas

put the nut in a vice and turn the car 😉

boobs

Longer levers usually work well. As long as it hasn't got a split pin hidden away and you are sure it is a right hand thread.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

You need a decent breaker bar to get some leverage on it, a normal socket wrench isn't long enough and just putting a tube over it isn't stiff enough. Buy or lend a 24" breaker bar but as Elmo says check you are undoing it the right way.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Make sure it doesnt have a locking tab thats been chiseled to stop it undoing.

coffeeking
    Free Member

As above, check for locking mechanisms, if it still doesnt work I've had to swing more than my 100kg bodyweight on a 1.5m scaff pole before to get one off. It shouldnt be that hard, but it is at times.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

If you haven't taken some kind of locking mechanism off then stop what you are doing because there will defo be one there, tab-lock, split pin or something similar. Even the Italians aren't that reckless 😆

wwaswas

Make sure you have a replacement nut available – you probably won't be abel to re-use it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Even the Italians aren't that reckless

😆

PePPeR

For these big hub nuts, we use a snap-on lever bar with a 6' scaffold tube on the end of it.

tyger
    Free Member

You've got to treat it like a woman – swisstony 🙂

boobs
    swisstony
    Free Member

thanks all

there's no locking mechanism and it is a normal thread, the problem seems to be that it needs to be tightened to 250 ft lbs so i think i just need more brute force

I haven't got an new nut though!

swisstony
    Free Member

borrowed a mates big torque wrench and that made short work of it, job done!

skidartist
    Free Member

put the nut in a vice and turn the car

don't forget to put the handbrake on though, or its a waste of time

GaVgAs
    Free Member

"You need a decent breaker bar to get some leverage on it, a normal socket wrench isn't long enough and just putting a tube over it isn't stiff enough. Buy or lend a 24" breaker bar but as Elmo says check you are undoing it the right way."

As Ravey Davey says,I would get the car jacked up as high as possible to aid leverage,Heat gun.and a 1/2 ins Breaker bar usually works,dont use a tourque wrench,you Will **** it!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure

bigyinn
    Free Member

Had exactly the sae problem trying to undo the stub axle nut on my mitsu. 2' bar and LOTS of pulling on it does the trick. Failing that a scaffold pole works well for extra leverage.
    But they are f'ing tight for a reason!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tips on how to undo a really stubborn big nut please…’ is closed to new replies.