Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tips for straightening out a bent brake lever :(
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Following a bit of an off this afternoon, I am now the proud owner of an XT Servowave disc lever with a bent blade 🙁

Pending replacement (depending on cost) I’d like to try and straighten it out a bit. I realise its been weakened a bit already, but its rather awkward to use.

I guess its maybe out by 10mm at the end.

What suggestions please?

PeteG55
    Free Member

Leave as is, its alu and is highly unlikely to straighten out without breaking.

redthunder
    Free Member

Cut the bent bit off, Sculpt a new knob with a file.

Knob.. snigger

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rOcKeTdOg

ring spanner will do it, but it may snap it

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmm, as I suspected then. Will see what is available from UK Bikestore then….

bigyinn
    Free Member

£39.99 for just the lever blade? 😯 Bargain when i can get the whole lever for £36.99 from CRC. 😕
    Anyway, some fiddling in the shed followed by gentle manipulation in the trusty B&D workmate and I now have a straight lever blade again. 😀

seanodav
    Free Member

I straightened mine about 4 month ago been fine ever since

johnfb
    Free Member

Same here, got mine back good-enough-straight 12 months ago with a breaker bar, a block of wood and a bit of gentle pressure.

coatesy
    Free Member

To prevent it cracking(which it rarely does anyway), remove the lever blade, coat it in household soap, heat it with a blowlamp until the soap turns black, and straighten it straight away. This is called annealing, and helps prevent work-hardening in aluminium, one of the few things they taught me in metalwork that’s useful afterwards.

jedi

stick a seat post over it and bend it back. worst case you buy a new blade

69er
    Free Member

Don’t bend it cold! It will snap eventually, probably when you’re sqeezing really hard…

+1 coatsey ^^^^^^

_tom_
    Free Member

I re-bent my avid lever back with a seatpost, and very gently.

DT78
    Free Member

As jedi says – bending over a seatpost worked great when I did the same to my LX lever 2 years ago, still going strong.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bent and straightened mine years ago, still OK.

Andy-R

coatesy
    To prevent it cracking(which it rarely does anyway), remove the lever blade, coat it in household soap, heat it with a blowlamp until the soap turns black, and straighten it straight away.

Or, instead of using soap as a temperature indicator, you can heat the aluminium until you can “write” on it with a matchstick (the plain end) – ie the matchstick leaves a charcoal mark (obviously no use on black anodised aluminium).
    You should quench in cold water immediately after heating, BTW.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bit late now I’ve already done it! 😉

There’s always next time.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Ride the same route backwards and see if you crash at the same place but in reverse and it will bend itself back

Worth thinking about for next time

Andy

Only possible on a fixie MTB though WCA? 😕

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

People ride other types?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Oi! Take your niches elsewere, this is a clean thread. Perverts.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tips for straightening out a bent brake lever :(’ is closed to new replies.