Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tips for steps
  • atlaz
    Free Member

As a relatively recent transplantee from the (MTB mecca that is the) South East of the UK, Im finding new riding where I live now. So far so good. With a lot of the trails being used by walkers and riders, inevitably at times there’s stairs. For some reason I look at these with a degree of trepidation that I wouldn’t feel if it was just roots (in fact the rooty steps down to the stairs are no problem).

Is there a good technique here or is it like roots; pick a direction, gentle on the brakes, keep the weight back if it’s steep?

thomthumb
    Free Member

pick a line, look up, stay central.

the difficulty with steps is in the rhythm. the easiest ones are ones where it’s front, back, front, back alternate. ones where both wheels drop together always seem worse than they are and ones with no rhythm or changing rhythms can be scary – bucking bronco- things.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Bodyweight above the BB, solid feet, relaxed but controlled hands, 90 degree approach to edges and look up not at the step immediately ahead.

On a hardtail with flat pedals it’s a little more awkward than on a bouncer or with SPDs. The suspension obviously compensates and the cleats keep you attached.

If it’s a short set then I find it helps to unweight a little on entry and ride the set as a single obstacle….or jump them 😈

Adjusting posture before returning to the flat is important, again stay above the BB but lean back a little to stop the front wheel from shoving straight into the bottom step/flat.

plumber
    Free Member

not like this

MadPierre

They’re just a bumpy slope!

poly
    Free Member

Your wheels don’t know they are steps – only your brain knows that… once you get over it in your head they become easier.

not like this
    without doubt you do not want anyone standing at the bottom with a camera as if anything will screw with your brain it is that. In fact just anyone watching is bad enough.

bigG
    Free Member

Tips for steps? Don’t reform, and if you do, don’t be surprised when no one buys tickets to your reunion tour.

For riding down steps? Speed is your friend everytime

hilton83
    Free Member

Heels down, chin up, weight back and let the bike move underneath you, and control your speed.

senorj

My advice to H and the rest of them ,is not to bother with the new material.

skywalker
    Free Member

Errrr, ride down them.

mark90
    Free Member

Errrr, ride down them.

+1

Easier than riding up them

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you have regularly spaced steps then just getting used to the rhythm of the bike hitting them underneath you. It’s not at all that much different to riding rocks or roots. If you have steps you can hit at speed (ie your tyres only hit the edge of the steps when you are descending) I find it good to lift the back wheel slightly when the front wheel hits the end of the steps as this prevents pinch punctures on the back wheel.

The steps I hate and which are a big feature in the mountains I go riding in regularly are steps dug out of earth with logs at the edges held in place with metal bands. Those things are the devil’s invention!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tips for steps’ is closed to new replies.