Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tips for shifting "the lurgi"
  • bubs

Following on from the lurgi thread, how are you attempting to shift it? Hot toddies are my favoured approach but other than providing a temporary glow they are not proving successful.

cheers_drive

Take a day off, sleep lots, drink lots of water

Drac

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Take a day off, sleep lots, drink lots of water

This.

To avoid getting a new strain of the lurgi do the above plus good hygiene (plenty of hand washing) eat a good diet and if you really want to up your game then avoid the people that insist on ‘soldiering on’ when they’ve got the lurgi.

newrobdob
    Free Member

If its a virus (cold or flu) there is absolutely nothing you can do to recover faster than the virus will let you. Pills and potions will reduce the symptoms but thats it.

Take time off work, rest get better and go back when you won’t give it to everyone else.

slackalice
    Free Member

Restoring or balancing your ph value will help the process.

I take a quarter to half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a tumbler of warm water and neck it down. Once a day, no more than twice but your body won’t require too much to balance and do this for a few days.

I also find paracetamol takes the edge of the shittyness.

This is what I have learnt to do, your metabolism and body will be different, so the above may not be helpful to you at all. /disclaimer 😀

Hope you start to feel more human again soon.

maccruiskeen

If its a virus (cold or flu) there is absolutely nothing you can do to recover faster than the virus will let you. Pills and potions will reduce the symptoms but thats it.

Some pills can be a bit counter productive. A lot of the symptoms you get with a cold or ‘flu’* aren’t ‘the cold’ but your body’s immune system fighting the cold – in soothing those symptoms you can end up hindering that immune response . A raised temperature is part of that immune response, its part of accelerating the work your immune system is doing – stuff like paracetomol reduce that temperature again so can can give short term relief but might end up prolonging the lurgy as a result.

Taking paracetomol helps when you have to function better for work or whatever or the symptoms are disturbing your sleep but its probably worth trying not to pop pills all day and just surrender yourself to the lurgy when you can.

* I’m fairly certain I’ve never had flu but we seem to lump ‘colds and flu’ into the same category and assume flu is a bad example of a cold. I’m pretty sure the ‘Spanish Bad Cold’ wasn’t responsible for killing 50 million people (i.e. kill 1 in 10 of everyone infected)

chakaping
    Free Member

Had flu a few weeks ago. Felt like I’d been run over, then set on fire, while going through hard drugs withdrawal.

The cold I got a week later was a breeze by comparison.

Absolutely needed paracetamol in the first instance, just took it now and then with the cold.

Anyway, with lots of recent experience I agree rest and plenty of fluids is the answer.

GWS

philjunior
    Free Member

Good sleep, not too much booze (which tends to lead to not very good sleep).

(defining too much can be tricky, particularly after a couple of beers)

ferrals
    Free Member

Ritual sacrifice of tawny owls.

If that doesn’t work I’m a big fan of a tcp gargle, but it’s not done much this time round

I have empirical evidence that participating in a Cyclocross race does not cure things, unless the cure you were after was a strong taste of blood in the mouth.

smiffy

pH…the ****!

vickypea
    Free Member

Lots of Home made chicken soup (if you’re not vegetarian) with loads of garlic, onions, chillies, black pepper and a squeeze or 2 of lemon juice.
    I also rinse my sinuses daily to reduce the chance of a sinus infection.
    I stay off the bike if I feel run-down or really fatigued, and just go for a few walks instead.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Restoring or balancing your ph value will help the process.

I take a quarter to half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a tumbler of warm water and neck it down. Once a day, no more than twice but your body won’t require too much to balance and do this for a few days.

Think you might have this covered already….

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Spicy food, hot bath, lots of sleep.

I find that i often dont shift the last bit till i start exercising lightly….walk up a few hills, enough to get the heart pumping but not out of breath

Poopscoop

Lots of sex.

Once you have herpes you forget about the cold/flu.

BillMC

…and what’s the difference between herpes and true love?

shermer75
    Free Member

and what’s the difference between herpes and true love?

There is such a thing as herpes?

shermer75
    Free Member

Oh, I get it, herpes is for life lol

slowoldman

yeah but herpes is just a cold sore innit?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tips for shifting "the lurgi"’ is closed to new replies.