Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Tips for riding in bad conditions.
  • baileyswalk
    Free Member

I’ve got a race on Sunday (not racing personally, just a day out for some ‘fun’) and the weather is going to be rank, rain & driving winds are forecast. I doubt even the best of waterproofs would be up to the task, even if I could afford them.

So… what hacks can I make to reduce the sufferfest (bike & rider)? The waterproofs I do have (cheap jacket & trousers) will be waterlogged before long.

benp1

I’m a bit lost by your post – are you saying that you’re not racing but you are riding there? i.e. you want to ride there, but then stand around watching, and then ride home?

stumpy01

How long’s the race? What sort of race?

If it’s just a couple of hours and going to be mild in terms of temperature, then I’d just get on with it. Perhaps arm warmers, but otherwise just ride.

If it’s longer, then I’d consider a waterproof but the thing is you will probably be working quite hard so get wet from the inside out, rather than the outside in.

If you’re only doing it for fun – consider sticking mudguards on. They keep most of the slop off & keep it ‘pleasant’ for a bit longer.

Overshoes are also helpful too.

onandon
    Free Member

Wrap yourself in cling film. Aero and waterproof.

stumpy01

benp1 – Member

I’m a bit lost by your post – are you saying that you’re not racing but you are riding there?

I took this to mean, entered into the race, but won’t be at the front of the field; just entering the race for fun.

fergal
    Free Member

Shorty up front for the win.

medoramas
    Free Member

Mudhugger front and rear + Crud Catcher on the downtube.

BoardinBob

Best tip is spare gloves in a dry bag. An absolute joy to put on fresh gloves in the middle of a race.

Also, keep moving as much as possible. it’s when you stop for a prolonged time that you notice the weather.

benp1

I took this to mean, entered into the race, but won’t be at the front of the field; just entering the race for fun.

Ah, OK, thanks, that helps

In that case I’d plan on being wet and warm, rather than trying to keep dry. That’s my usual approach. I’ve only stayed dry on one wet trip, that was a biblically wet 3 days in the lakes but I was wearing paramo. I’d normally be too hot in paramo

baileyswalk
    Free Member

As stumpy01 says, entered the race for a bit of fun – wont be pushing it or looking for a good time. There’s a few of us entering, of mixed abilities and fitness so might end up riding slower/waiting. It’s the Galloway Gallop 53 miles, cross/gravel I think and looking at about 5 hours ride time most likely – the course and ground is wet underfoot and I’ll be riding a hard tail. Got a mudguard on the back but only one of those neoprene things u slap on the forks up front & plastic bags over socks

teamslug
    Free Member

make a mudguard for the forks using a bit of plastic. Ring binder file etc. There are plenty of templates online. Might help keep the worst off your face.

weeksy

Just stay at home, you can either waste your £20-30 and be wet and miserable, or you have wasted £20-30 and spend a day at home doing something more usefu

It’s not character building, it’s just rubbish….

benp1

I’ve been out in some character building weather and have always enjoyed it. I’m choosing to be there, no one forced me. I’ve never regretted it, sometimes it’s type 2 fun though 😆

baileyswalk
    Free Member

I enjoy winter climbing i.e. suffering but it doesn’t hurt to prepare a bit.

rhinofive

I’ve got a race sportive on Sunday

entered the race sportive for a bit of fun

#FTFY

have fun

jeffl

As everyone says. I’d go for wet and warm with mudguards. Probably worth taking a waterproof shell should you have a mechanical or other mishap as you’ll quickly lose heat when stopped. Stick it in a dry bag or carrier bag in a back pack to keep it dry until needed.

DickBarton

Washing up gloves will help keep hands dry, under thin gloves…

crazy-legs

1) It’s a Sportive, not a race
    2) It’s offroad so fit mudguards / cruid catcher / ass saver. If you have all three then fit all three!
    3) Waterproof shorts. Gritty spray up your arse for 52 miles is going to be no fun at all.
    4) If you can use a small Camelbak then take some spare gloves & socks double wrapped in plastic bags. Hands and feet will be the first to freeze and soak so a small microfibre towel to dry your hands & feet and then some fresh gloves/socks to put on, that’ll really help. I wish I’d done that at last year’s Dirty Reiver!

chiefgrooveguru

Knees out! (Thanks to Rachel Atherton for that)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Top tip? Don’t read weather forecast 3 days beforehand and expect it to represent what will actually happen on the day….

matt_outandabout

5) take a brew – small flask of something hot

Enjoy – thats a cracking route, some of which will be very windy and wet…

baileyswalk
    Free Member

3 days out most sites are pretty reliable, it’s rank for days either side of the event and with the fronts coming off the atlantic… it’s going to be rank. This is my first race… eh, event thing and clearly I have no idea what I’m even doing – so it’s a sportive – got it 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

3 days out most sites are pretty reliable

Living in SW Scotland, I’d heartily beg to differ.

malv173
    Free Member

Looking at the forecast, I’d just be prepared to be very wet. At least the temperature isn’t too bad. Maybe some thin sealskinz, the new ones with hydrostop or some overshoes as someone has mentioned. Although apparently ALDI are selling some cheap ones at the mo, and people seem to rate the ALDI cycling stuff in terms of value for money. Also, natural fibres like wool or bamboo feel a bit nicer when whet than polyester does. No point in wearing jacket as you’ll probably be a sweaty mess. The waterproof shorts advice is also sound, as is having dry stuff to change into along the way, especially if the weather improves.

I suppose the key thing is to just try and enjoy it. Shouldn’t be too hard if you’re riding with mates.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Wrap yourself in cling film. Aero and waterproof.

Go nekkid your skin is aero and waterproof.

baileyswalk
    Free Member

Good idea, that should clear the field for me too

Pyro

Enjoy the race ride, and be grateful that you’re moving.

I’ll be sat on top of Cairnsmore trying to keep the event radio repeater dry and working.

baileyswalk
    Free Member

@Pyro – If I start to despair ‘that’ should help to remind me – it could be worse. Good luck with that.

Fat-boy-fat

+1 for waterproof shorts. I’d make sure you’ve got a windproof on for that distance too. Waterproof shell in your backpack in case of a mechanical is a good idea. Mudguards are obviously a good idea. Funnily enough, I was supposed to be taking part but pulled out for various reasons about a month ago. Quite glad of that if the weather is going to be that pants!

cheese@4p

Seek to suffer – and the suffering goes away

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

3/4 Lusso bib and a bomb-proof grin 😀

Wet is fast.

TiRed

Roubaix bib 3/4’s. Warm even when wet. And mudguards.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Decent waterproofs make a difference. Even if you’re wet, warm and wet can be comfortable enough. Especially as you’re actually not racing but just going for a big day out, perhaps with a bit of hanging about.

Cold and wet, that’s what you want to avoid.

chakaping
    Free Member

Top priority, get a very good front guard.

Also: waterproof shorts, nice thick merino socks, good gloves.

It’s only September, you’re not gonna die. And it is character building BTW.

lunge

Roubaix bib 3/4’s. Warm even when wet.

This. Lycra works so much better in the rain and wind.
    Plus a waterproof gilet on top.
    Feet wise, particularly in the gravel i’d be wearing overshoes and wool socks.

baileyswalk
    Free Member

The event has been cancelled due to the bad weather! 😆 Looks like I won’t have to endure the horrors after all – Thanks for all the tips though, I almost want to go do battle with the elements now.

dannyh
    Free Member

weeksy – Member

Just stay at home, you can either waste your £20-30 and be wet and miserable, or you have wasted £20-30 and spend a day at home doing something more usefu

It’s not character building, it’s just rubbish….

Posted 1 day ago #

Although weeksy might have entered the race himself and has just gained a place if you drop out……..

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Tips for riding in bad conditions.’ is closed to new replies.